VCR Alert Sunday | Page 2 | Golden Skate

VCR Alert Sunday

R.D.

Record Breaker
I just wish we got to see Meissner's exhibition in its entirety...:frown: I love that song Break Away and thought she did a nice job skating to it. I would like to see how she develops as a skater...

ATW27 said:
Frankly, I really didn't see it neccessary to show part of Michelle's free skate again, since, by even Michelle's own admittion, it wasn't her best.
Especially since they showed the absolute worst cut of it, starting with the doubled Lutz and finishing up with the mistimed ending. Are the ABC editors secret Sasha fans, LOL?

Watching Johnny Weir's skate, I couldn't help wondering, why don't all skaters choose great music to skate to? The music carried the performance, and all Johnny had to do was skate around in beautiful posture.

I got a kick out of Peggy and Dicks repeated comments about how nice it was to see programs that weren't burdened with jumps, lifts and spins, LOL.

Sasha. OK, I am slow to get on the band wagon this year. But this was the first time that I thought, gosh, there really is something terribly wrong with her jump technique this season.

Michelle. I was totally enchanted. Beautiful. Exquisite. But did she two-foot all of her jump landings?

Red Dog, how do you know about the auto show coverage? Were you sneaking over to NBC? :laugh:

I liked the boogie-woogie dance the best.

I was sorry to hear about Johnny Carson's death. I thought the interruption was OK. We only missed a minute or two of skating.

Mathman

S

SkateFan4Life

Johnny Carson Announcement

OK, I never was a fan of Johnny Carson (some of us have to get up early in the morning to go to work, you know), but the news of his death was a sad event.

On the other hand....why in the world did the network television stations have to break in with "FLASH" news of Carson's death this afternoon - right in the middle of the US Nationals skating exhibition broadcast? The way NBC played this, you would have thought that Carson was the President of the United States or some other world leader whose death is truly a momentous event.
For Pete's sake, Mr. Carson was a late-night talk show host! With all respect to him, what does that say for the priorities that are set by the networks?

OK, I'll get off my soap box.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
We only missed a minute or two of skating.
You're lucky. Here in Boston we kept being interrupted with "Weather Alerts" - basically mesages repeating that we've just been through one historic blizzard, and that it's not yet over.

jesslily

Final Flight
I feel that there is no need to interrupt any program to report a huge name's death. ABC could wait till 6:30's news to report it. When I saw the "Special News" I thought the terrerism alert color just changed. or something as ergent as that.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I thought Rena and John were adorable, such a cute couple. I think Johnny's costume and Irina's costume ought to hook up, LOL. Seriously, you can't go wrong skating to the sons of Mrs. Righteous :love: :love: :love: . Mathman Peggy's comment was funny... who needs jumps, lifts, and throws when you're a pairs skater? Michelle's performance brought tears to my eyes...she is just so special. Green Acres/Dueling Banjos/Clogging on Ice not my jar of moonshine but they sold it which speaks volumes about B&A.'s skating and their personalities. Was Melissa Gregory wearing a fur covered slinky?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Weir's skate is the only reason I'm not deleting this broadcast from the TiVo list. What a gorgeous skate.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Melissa's dress had me worried when I saw them waiting for their turn to take the ice. Not what I would have chosen, but it worked for the program. It was a fun program and a fun dress. Denis was having so much fun with it too! :laugh:

as far as I know, though, the 5th placed skaters didn't get to skate in the exs.. though there were some cute novice numbers that I don't think were shown...

I am also upset about Matt's skate... it was definately an awesome program!

(and no, the editors are not secret Sasha fans... they're football fans who would rather watch the games on other networks than pay attention to their jobs during the ladies free skate! :laugh: )

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Here on the West coast we missed more than a few minutes.......okay, I've calmed down now somewhat........ :p 42

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Red Dog, how do you know about the auto show coverage? Were you sneaking over to NBC?

Yes I was :laugh: especially when men, pairs and dance teams were skating *yawn*. I always flip around through channels anyway...

BTW, OT did anyone see the piece on basketball popularity in China just before the skating broadcast? I thought it was very interesting...

R.D.

Record Breaker
To the folks on the West coast...

...since the event aired later there, did you guys happen to see Meissner's skate in its entirety? And if so, does anyone have a video? Thanks...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog, all I got was maybe the last minute of Kim's skate.

I loved Johnny's program and the music. I could watch him all day. :love:

Sasha, Sasha......what else needs to be said. (bad skate) :cry:

The only reason I liked Michelle's skate was she chose Josh Groban's music. :love: I love his music. :love: :love:

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Michelle's program made my friend cry... because it was Josh Groban... but she does like her now (what have I done??? *smacks forehead*)

I loved Tim's and Evan's exhibitions... they were well suited for them... :rock:

mpal2

Final Flight
Tonichelle said:
Michelle's program made my friend cry... because it was Josh Groban... but she does like her now (what have I done??? *smacks forehead*)
:rofl: and Kwanmania wins again! :laugh:

Poor Toni, surrounded at Nationals all week, has a friend newly introduced to the lovely Kwan and has to re-write an article about Kwan. :biggrin: It's destiny calling you.... Someday you will give in.....;)