Vera Bazarova and Yuri Larionov end partnership | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Vera Bazarova and Yuri Larionov end partnership

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Whether or not this weird attempt to redirect the conversation from the actual points I am making makes any sense, I still don't see how height standards would help. Surely you would not think the ISU should make couples split BEFORE they reached whatever height they deemed unacceptable in this crazy idea you have. Surely you don't really believe the ISU can predict the future heights of people based on a youtube video or anything else. We aren't living in Minority Report, Figure Skating Style.

either increase the age requirement in ladies for pairs/Ice Dance to be age eligible to compete internationally by isu, 15 years old and above
or make a clear height standard requirement will solve this issues

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It's stupid to split TM. They are great together. and they're bronze medalists of Russian Nationals.

Vigalova / Zakroev are bronze medalists

maybe Davankova can pair up with Zakroev who is also tall
if Vigalova grows up to lose her jumps

hanca

Record Breaker
Actually, the tallest pair males among Russians are Enbert 189 cm and Morozov 187cm and Trankov 187am. Zakroev is only tiny bit (2cm) taller than Deputat, so if Deputat had problems with lifting elements, Zakroev won't be the best partner for Davankova. (What about breaking up Gerboldt-Enbert and give Enbert to Davankova?)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Actually, the tallest pair males among Russians are Enbert 189 cm and Morozov 187cm and Trankov 187am. Zakroev is only tiny bit (2cm) taller than Deputat, so if Deputat had problems with lifting elements, Zakroev won't be the best partner for Davankova. (What about breaking up Gerboldt-Enbert and give Enbert to Davankova?)

Yeah, as ideas go this (to me) is not a bad one. Enbert-Gerbolt if anything are regressing. They are not getting any GP events. They were 7th at Russian Nationals last year. It might be a good idea for him to at least try out with Davankova. He is 24 and Gerbolt is 25...I guess in theory they could both have one cycle left in them (or actually even 2) but she's not getting any younger and I think his chances with Davankova might be better.

hanca

Record Breaker
Yeah, as ideas go this (to me) is not a bad one. Enbert-Gerbolt if anything are regressing. They are not getting any GP events. They were 7th at Russian Nationals last year. It might be a good idea for him to at least try out with Davankova. He is 24 and Gerbolt is 25...I guess in theory they could both have one cycle left in them (or actually even 2) but she's not getting any younger and I think his chances with Davankova might be better.

On the other hand, I am not sure if he is good enough for Davankova. Davankova has been pretty good, whereas Enbert was as bad as Gerboldt this season. Maybe it is better if they find someone younger for Davankova, so that she can stay another year or two with him at junior level, build their reputation etc. Then when they are ready to move to seniors, they will have name, they would have had the time to gel together and if their results are decent, maybe they will get senior GPs...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Oh, God! You are again starting! If it is not skater's weight, it is their height! Give it a rest!
I notice how you criticise so many skaters for their weight, do you want to post here your measurements?

I am not sure how with growth an ISU standard would work but like Deputat just said his partnership is over because of Davankova's height! So height is a very big issue when there is a lack of a difference. Without extreme and close monitoring like measuring each couple before competition and potential disqualifications from competitions just when a pair is about to skate - that's almost unfair. ISU just has to rely on the common sense of the people in a pair if the woman is just as tall as the man or taller than the man that would say "this partnership could become dangerous or totally ineffective on lifts and its time to split!" I'm sure there are present couples that will break up just like D/D did over height.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
this is very likely
Stepanova since last fall has reportedly continued growing
and even Zhuk/Svinin has mentioned this.

probably this summer or very soon
Stepanova / Bukin will split up

It is indeed frustrating
this is why the ISU should have a height standard for Ice Dance / Pairs competing
those who do not meet the height criteria will not be allowed in ISU sanctioned events

You're a real piece of work, you know that?

tulosai

Record Breaker
On the other hand, I am not sure if he is good enough for Davankova. Davankova has been pretty good, whereas Enbert was as bad as Gerboldt this season. Maybe it is better if they find someone younger for Davankova, so that she can stay another year or two with him at junior level, build their reputation etc. Then when they are ready to move to seniors, they will have name, they would have had the time to gel together and if their results are decent, maybe they will get senior GPs...

Yeah, I don't disagree that in an ideal world she could/would find someone better, but she is unfortunately severely limited in her choices by her height. I don't know if there are any Junior men better than Enbert who are also tall enough (would probably need to be at least 183 cm, and again, this is assuming she does not grow taller).

I don't mean to sound like skyfly about height but there is no denying it is a consideration.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Sorry I can't spell their names. The 2 pair girls who have no partner at the moment. Both from Pavlova's team( spelling?), one is in France, the other is spelled like Martuseva(?).

And Davankova has elegant lines. She should skate with someone with long lines too.

Davankova is better than Martiusheva? That's funny. Anastasia may only land her jumps 50% of the time, but her lines, flexibility, and overall aesthetic are perhaps among the best in the world

96skiluvr

On the Ice
So based on what's been written here, everyone seems to think that we should break up all the teams, pairs and dance, that are not V/T, S/K, or T/M.
Then, we should put the pairs girl's names in a hat and the pairs boy's names in a separate hat, and draw names to make teams. Any teams that don't meet Sky_fly20's height requirements will get shuffled around until Sky_fly20 is satisfied with the height differences.
We'll do the same for all dance teams (apparently excluding the one team that no one likes, B/S). These teams will also have to meet sky_fly20's height and attractiveness requirements, since Ilinykh apparently isn't as pretty at Sinitsina (I believe they're equally stunningly gorgeous).

Based on what you're all writing, this is what everyone thinks we should do. Haven't enough teams broken up at this point? Do we need to split more teams? Let's focus on finding Davankova and Martiusheva new partners, as opposed to plotting to split Stepanova/Bukin and Vigalova/Zakroev

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am wondering how much the re-pairing is the federation's decision and how much is from at least one of two in the pairs? Does Deputat wants to split from Davankova? Or the split is complete imposed from the top to give Vera a male partner?

Alba

Record Breaker
So based on what's been written here, everyone seems to think that we should break up all the teams, pairs and dance, that are not V/T, S/K, or T/M.
Then, we should put the pairs girl's names in a hat and the pairs boy's names in a separate hat, and draw names to make teams. Any teams that don't meet Sky_fly20's height requirements will get shuffled around until Sky_fly20 is satisfied with the height differences.
We'll do the same for all dance teams (apparently excluding the one team that no one likes, B/S). These teams will also have to meet sky_fly20's height and attractiveness requirements, since Ilinykh apparently isn't as pretty at Sinitsina (I believe they're equally stunningly gorgeous).

:laugh: :thumbsup:

I am wondering how much the re-pairing is the federation's decision and how much is from at least one of two in the pairs? Does Deputat wants to split from Davankova? Or the split is complete imposed from the top to give Vera a male partner?

No the problem is that she is becoming too tall and that's a problem with the pairs.

He said in this interview: "The reason to end the partnership with Vasilisa Davankova was her high. She became a bit too tall recently and it was hard for me to perform certain elements with her. I explained that to our coach Sergey Dobroskokov and to Vasilisa and they understood me, so we parted in good terms."

Deputat doesn't know who will Davankova skate with, but he reckons it won't be a problem because she is `an amazing athlete

http://fsrussia.ru/news/1197_partnerom-very-bazarovoj-stanet-andrej-deputat/

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Russian skaters are so spoiled: a large pool of pair skaters to match once a pair does not match each other anymore.
I remember when Dan Zhang eventually grew taller than Carolina Kostner and Hao Zhang was still trying to make the pair work, and ended with lots of arm/wrist injures. And Sui/Han now. There is no backup for either of them. :eek:hwell:

hanca

Record Breaker
Russian skaters are so spoiled: a large pool of pair skaters to match once a pair does not match each other anymore.
I remember when Dan Zhang eventually grew taller than Carolina Kostner and Hao Zhang was still trying to make the pair work, and ended with lots of arm/wrist injures. And Sui/Han now. There is no backup for either of them. :eek:hwell:

Oh, don't worry, there will be. When Chinese Federation decides that enough is enough (which should be probably around now because that gives those new pairs 4 years to gel till the next Olympics), they will retire Sui and find her a new partner from promising juniors which they break up because of her, and also give Han a promising partner breaking up another junior pair.

Alba

Record Breaker
Thanks to FSU and TAHbKa for the translation: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Vasiliev-The-news-of-a-break-up-were-a-relief

Lisovski's interview with Bazarova & Vasiliev `The news of a break up were a relief'

The `fontanka.ru' journalist was the first to talk to Bazarova after her move to St. Petersburg and found her in good moods. The gracious skater looked confident, smiled and even joked, was sharing her positive emotions. Seems Vera overcame the break up with her partner and speaks of the future with a hope.

Q: When you learned of the break up with Larionov you said `I was shocked, I was out of it'. Had it changed now?
VB: It's a new stage of life. Everything changed - the partner, the coach. As if I was reborn and found new forces and motivation to go on skating. I want to skate and train. Frankly, it've been a while since I felt all that. Of course I was shocked at first when I heard our pair was no more. But the next day I understood I have to do something. So I had to do things myself - talking to a partner, communicating with the coach. It's great all worked out so fast.

Q: Surely your parents helped? Can't believe you haven't spoken to your mother.
VB: Of course they supported me. But I understood I should keep my head high - hysteria or apathy didn't happen. Quite the opposite actually, it was a huge relief letting it all go. When I met up with Oleg Vasiliev in Japan and understood he is willing to help me and support me. It was what pushed me forward.

Q: Why Vasiliev?
VB: Before Yuri and I switched to Nina Mozer there were rumours Oleg Vasiliev wanted to work with us. I saw how his pairs are skating and the style suits me. Oleg Vasiliev is a great professional, knowledgeable, experienced, famous, an olympic champions coach, so why not? Besides, when we started thinking about the partner the first one he named was Andrey Deputat, which was who I was thinking about. It just happened his previous partner became too tall for him, so he was willing to make changes. We met up in Moscow, talked and decided to try skating together.

Q: Was your parting with Nina Mozer calm?
VB: After Yuri notified me we were done I spoke to Nina Mozer the next day and explained her where things stood. I guess she knew by then. The parting was a good one, with no conflicts. The original agreement was for a year of working together, then there were no offers to help me finding a new partner and I understood we would part our ways.

Q: Did you mind Yuri Larionov's staying in her group?
VB: I have no hard feelings. Of course now that Yuri and I are not skating together we can't train in the same group. It would be too hard. Besides, there are a lot of pairs in Nina Mozer's group as it is and I don't really like being the 3rd violin. When the coach has just 1-2 pairs it's a different thing.

Q: Do you have an explanation why this season was worse than the previous ones?
VB: I think we, well, at least I, were feeling out of place. Perhaps because we were used to be n.1 in our previous coach's group, while here were 2nd or 3rd. I felt we lacked attention, them mental and moral support. I don't really want to dwell into that, I don't blame anyone, it just happened. It doesn't mean Nina Mikhailovna is a bad coach or we did something wrong. It just didn't work.

Q: Let me quote Maksim Trankov: Bazarova/Larionov didn't work because of her health and her failing the jumps. Is it right?
VB: I'm sick of those health remarks. I'm fine, I went through all the test. As for the jumps - it was our least consistent season. But it's not my jumps only. Check the statistics: we missed the same amount of jumps with Yuri this season - 4 each. We were more or less consistent till this season. Guess we worked more on the jumps, we had Viktor Kudriavtsev's help. This season because of the constant moves he was busy so we didn't collaborate. As for what Maksim says about me - that is rather obvious. He is in Mozer's group, so is Yuri.

Q: Was Stolbova/Klimov joining the group a surprise for you?
VB: Not really, but we were not notified to begin with they would be in Mozer's group as well. In February, when we were left without a coach it was not on the table. After the Worlds when we agreed to switch to Mozer's group she told as Stolbova/Klimov would be skating with us. Had we known that from the very beginning perhaps we would make a different decision.

Q: Looking back -was moving to Moscow a mistake?
VB: I wouldn't say that. We were done with the previous coach - Ludmila Kalinina. At that point we had no other options but to switch to Mozer, so it just happened. Perhaps it's for the best. Guess I have to look for the pros in every situation. It was made to be that we will part with Yuri. I'm younger, perhaps the pair would break at some point anyway.

Q: The relief - i.e. you anticipated the break?
VB: I felt something like that after the Olympics, guess felt Yuri was considering something. At least it seemed to me - I know him for a while. I even tried talking to him about `Yura, had you decided something, lets talk, so we both have plans after the Worlds. If you want to change something - tell me'. He said no, there were no thoughts of the kind, lets talk after the Worlds. He told me 2 hours after we skated the LP. I don't think he made up his mind during those 2 hours. Guess it was planned in advance. I don't blame him, just wish he had told me before so I would be ready and not the way he did.

Q: Will you ever forgive him?
VB: I'm not particularly angry with him as it is. It happened and he had a right to make a decision he made. I think having hard feelings is rather useless. We didn't part on good terms, but guess with the time we'll be able to speak again. I don't know how he feels about all that, but I hold no grudge against him.

Q: Larionov will be skating with Natalia Zabijako, but first they will have to sit out for 18 months. You had to sit out for a while when you were skating together. How is it - spending 2 years without competing. Do you think Larionov is risking never to come back?
VB: When you don't compete for a while coming back is really hard. It's not the time when you don't compete that is hard, though it's hard to keep motivated and train, but competing again, it's a mental block you have to overcome. Especially when the skater is on the level of Yuri and in Yuri's age. I can't comment on how will he feel - it's his thoughts, his actions and I don't necessarily understand him.

Q: When you will be on the same ice again, but as rivals this time would it be a matter of honour to beat Zabijako/Larionov?
VB: Of course I will want to beat that pair. But it will not be a matter of honour. There are other pairs in Russia and in the world who I will be competing against. For example Stolbova/Klimov. But it's all premature. First Andrey and I have to skate together, work on the new programmes and not waste our time thinking what are the other pairs doing. There is a partner, there is a coach, and I like it that we have a common goal.

Q: What do you think of training with Andrey Deputat?
VB: We've been only skating for 2 days (the interview took place on 17/4), but we already did two 3throws, some lifts and split twists. Things are moving fast and if we should keep that it will be great. I feel comfortable with the new partner. It is obvious Andrey is motivated, he has ambitions, so does Oleg Vasiliev. I think we have a direction and it's great the new coach gives us a lot of attention.

Q: Oleg Vasiliev is also coaching Gerboldt/Enbert, who he talks about as Olympics 2018 medal contenders.
VB: It's a competition as well. Still, nothing like in Mozers' group. Oleg Vasiliev coaches 2 pairs, not 3 like Nina Mikhailovna.

Q: Do you know what will your pair look like next season?
VB: We are discussing the programmes and music now. Last season when I was skating with Larionov we changed the characters and the style. Nina Mozer is into an athletic style that suits Tanya and Maks and Ksenia and Fedor. Some liked our new style, some didn't. I think Larionov and I lost what let us stand out. Now we have to decide on Andrey and mine style. Perhaps we'll go back to the classical style. It's nice Andrey and I are built the same. He is lighter than Yuri. When I was skating with Larionov it seemed the classical style suits me ok, while he needed something heavier, that didn't suit me. I would love to try spanish or oriental music. I wanted for a whilte. But it's rather hard to predict now what will it be.

Q: Let's change the subject. You started skating in your native Ekaterinburg, than represented Perm, then Saransk, Moscow, now you are in St. Petersburg. Is moving around a stress?
VB: The opposite in my case! When you switch towns all the time you get used to the change faster. It was hard the first time, I felt lost in the big town. But if you are in a competition or a training camp you get used to the changes. We didn't spend much time in Moscow this season we moved all the time. I don't care anymore where I am as long as the training conditions are good. I have everything in St. Petersburg - the ice, the off ice. I adapted fast to Moscow. I can already find my way around the St. Petersburg metro. Made it to the other side of city to the rink and it took me more than half an hour.

Q: You were lucky with the weather here...
VB: Yeah, I was told it's usually grumpy. But the weather is great, the sun is shining. I didn't yet have time to see the city. Hope will have time for a walk this weekend and will go to Hermitage. I also plan going to a ballet in the Hermitage theatre. My friend works there and she invited me to come.

Q: Amazing how fast you worked things out.
VB: I live with a friend right now. I don't know what will happen next, it will depend on where we will be training. Should our coach stay in St. Petersburg I will look for a flat to rent like I did in Moscow.

Q: The figure skating season is over, while for you it seems to go on. Are you tired?
VB: I'm not planning a vacation yet, think Andrey and I should get used to skating together. Perhaps I'll be able to go somewhere for a couple of weeks at the end of May. Though no, am not tired. After the worlds I had some time to rest, went home to Ekaterinburg and even started missing the ice. My favourite way of spending the vacation is on the sea side just lying on the beach.

Q: Your internet bio says you like reading.
VB: I do if I have a mood. I prefer classical. The favourite books are Remarques `3 comrades' and `Master and Margarita' by Bulgakov. Among the contemporary authors I like Michael Veller. Now I have to read a lot of textbooks for my studies in Ural tourism institute- English, geography...

Q: The social networks became very popular among the skaters after the Olympics. You are not much online. Why?
VB: I don't have a twitter or an instagram. I have a facebook and vk.com pages, but I go there once in a while. When Larionov and I broke up groups of my fans sprang out in vk.com, I received a lot of support. It was really nice. I tried answering as much as I could, but it became too demanding. Now I try to stay away from the social networks. Please don't think I stopped responding to my fans, I would love to. But when people begin to pry that is too much for me.

Q: Since we speak about the Olympics - do you try avoiding thinking about it?
VB: I had positive emotions from the olympics, even though we did not end up where we planned to. But as for the skating and the feeling on the ice it was the best competition of the season. Of course we were nervious but on the other hand we were motivated. The support was huge. The organization was good as well.

Q: Positive emotions were from your skate only?
VB: The Russia-USA hockey game was very emotional. What a game! We had really good sits, I was shouting like mad! I don't really like hockey but my friends who came to support me in Sochi convinced me to come. And I was not sorry!

Q: Do you have plans and goals for the near future.
VB: First we have to make it to team Russia. I think we will be competing in some international competitions and perhaps a GP next season. Olympics? Of course we want to participate the 2018 Olympics, but we are young enough to stay around till 2022.

Oleg Vasiliev: it's too premature talking about the pair's perspective. They only skated together for a couple of times, but I would like to see Bazarova/Deputat on the top level at the worlds in the next two season, after which we'll set the goals to medal at 2018 Olympics. The guys are positive, hungry for work, are not afraid to try new things. So far we tried jumps, throw jumps, lifts and split twists they made if pretty much from the first attempt, on a good level and with a confidence. Now we have to tune their pace, get them more comfortable with each other and start working towards the new season, which will begin soon. As for the region they will represent: Vera used to represent Moscow and Saransk, Andrey represented Moscow. Vera will go on representing Sarank, Andrey Moscow and Saransk. Unfortunately St. Petersburg is not an option as we received no offers of adaptation of the pair here. We will train here till the end of May and will move somewhere else after. Of course I would love to stay in St. Petersburg, it's my favourite city, my best memories are from here - both professional and personal. I won my medals here, skaters who I coached won here, I got married here, my parents live here, both my daughters were born here. I would love to keep working with my pairs in St. Petersburg, but if love is not mutual it's a shame.

http://www.fontanka.ru/2014/04/19/060/

tulosai

Record Breaker
I actually REALLY like her as a person after reading some of these interviews. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and to genuinely enjoy skating too.

I think it is weird that St. Petersburg is not willing to support them, though I suppose the pair is very new.

I do hope that they'll get 2 GP's next year. Is she (or for that matter he) entitled to any? I always get confused when people return with different partners about what the rules are.

Alba

Record Breaker
I actually REALLY like her as a parson after reading some of these interviews. She seems to have a good head on her shoulders and to genuinely enjoy skating too.

I must say I'm surprised as well, in a very positive way. I'm very glad for her and hope they do well together.