Virtual boot fitting | Golden Skate

Virtual boot fitting

pwincessonice

Rinkside
Any recommendations for trusted virtual boot fitting service?

Everglides took so long, the earliest slot available will be in January.
Skatersedge NZ does not seem to offer a one-time payment for virtual fitting like everglides.

Please share your virtual boots fitting experience with us!

Imtryingskating

Spectator

Skatersedge NZ does not seem to offer a one-time payment for virtual fitting like everglides.

Hmm , I did a virtual fitting with Everglides but honestly it depends what boots are you looking for ? I got fitted for beginner boots and well to be honest when doing beginner boots I don’t think that the experience was that different from if I tried to buy it bymyself . Then again I don’t know what they were doing behind the scenes so I’m not sure .But if you are looking for a more detailed appointment then I think it might be worth it .

Last edited:

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
Proper boot fitting is extremely important, regardless of skill level. If you really can't get to an in-person fitter, I'd highly recommend just waiting for an appointment with a reputable virtual fitter.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Wait for everglides. it's worth it.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Wait for Everglides. It is definitely worth it.

Also worth noting - if you go to Everglides asking for beginner/entry level equipment for recreational skating, the fitting experience is likely to be different than if you're taking lessons and want to skate regularly and progress. They stock equipment for all levels and purposes, in their two stores, The shop at the rink is entry level/recreational and the unit at the Basepoint Centre is the one where they fit the stuff designed for proper learning up to elite levels.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
Wait for Everglides. It is definitely worth it.

Also worth noting - if you go to Everglides asking for beginner/entry level equipment for recreational skating, the fitting experience is likely to be different than if you're taking lessons and want to skate regularly and progress. They stock equipment for all levels and purposes, in their two stores, The shop at the rink is entry level/recreational and the unit at the Basepoint Centre is the one where they fit the stuff designed for proper learning up to elite levels.
I'm located in Taiwan and no one is actually 'qualified' to do a proper boot fitting here.

Been skating for almost 5 years and went through all sorts of things with my Jackson Freestyle. Switched to MK Professional Lite based on my coach's recommendations, but these boots stay with me ever since.

Recently I felt my heels lifted when doing Salchows; someone told me to wear bunga pads on my ankles. They help, but not too much. I think it's time to buy new boots when you felt like you can move inside your skates, yeah?

When I first bought the Freestyle, I had arch pains, but finally get used to it after a while and switching to Superfeect Hockey Yellow insoles. I have made up my mind to get properly fitted for my next boots. Currently doing Loops and backspins; it's hard for me to get my spins centered. Could it be because of equipment issues?

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Centring on spins can be helped by the right equipment but often it's a matter of technique. Your coach is better placed to answer this. As to equipment, I'd never recommend either of the "Lite" blades (Coronation Ace or MK Professional) to a skater who has trouble centring spins, as I don't think the narrower runners are helpful for this. If you're getting new blades as well as boots, you might want to reconsider that choice and opt for traditional blades.

It certainly sounds like it's time you had new boots, though! Lifting heels are never good and your boot needs to fit snugly so that you can better transfer your movements through to the blade.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
I see. Besides technique, are my feet supposed to curl when spinning? I felt my toes curling 75% of the time when spinning and I am unable to hit my sweet spot 100% of the time

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I see. Besides technique, are my feet supposed to curl when spinning? I felt my toes curling 75% of the time when spinning and I am unable to hit my sweet spot 100% of the time
If you're able to curl your toes and feel your heel lift, then you've worn down and flattened the linings of your boots and they're now too loose. You definitely need new ones. Once or twice over the years I've had to wear old boots while waiting for delayed new ones, and my coach had me wear heavy knitted socks in them. A makeshift solution, but it worked for me. (Not a good idea if one's feet sweat a lot, though. Mine don't :sneaky:.)

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
Absolutely not. My toes curled when my boot was too wide, and then continued to curl on my 2nd pair that was too long. Now that I finally have the right size (3rd times the charm) there is no more curling/scrunching. My feet and toes are nice and flat in the boot.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
* You definitely don't want toe curling. If your toes curl repeatedly for prolonged periods, you could end up with medical issues with your toes.

* Note: Even if the boots are of the proper length and width, you could still have toe curling if the toebox is too high. So also take that into account when you choose your next pair of boots.

* You can mitigate the problem by filling the space above your toes with sponge foam. You'll need to play around with foam of different thickness and stiffness. Cut a piece of foam shaped to cover your toes (play around with size and shape as well). If you wear socks, slip the foam between the top of your bare toes and the inside of the sock. The easiest way to do this is to roll up the sock almost completely, with just the toe of the sock sticking out. Place the foam over your bare toes. Then slip on the toe of the sock over the foam and the bottom of your toes. Then unroll the sock over the rest of the foot. The sock will now hold the foam in position. Then insert your foot into the boot and lace up.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
If you're able to curl your toes and feel your heel lift, then you've worn down and flattened the linings of your boots and they're now too loose. You definitely need new ones. Once or twice over the years I've had to wear old boots while waiting for delayed new ones, and my coach had me wear heavy knitted socks in them. A makeshift solution, but it worked for me. (Not a good idea if one's feet sweat a lot, though. Mine don't :sneaky:.)
Yeah...I felt like my right boots are not as padded as my left ones, and the tongue support is also not as strong as my left boot. Already wore Jerry's gel padding, which helps a little, but not much. Will be fitted by Everglides on January and see what they say.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
* You definitely don't want toe curling. If your toes curl repeatedly for prolonged periods, you could end up with medical issues with your toes.

* Note: Even if the boots are of the proper length and width, you could still have toe curling if the toebox is too high. So also take that into account when you choose your next pair of boots.

* You can mitigate the problem by filling the space above your toes with sponge foam. You'll need to play around with foam of different thickness and stiffness. Cut a piece of foam shaped to cover your toes (play around with size and shape as well). If you wear socks, slip the foam between the top of your bare toes and the inside of the sock. The easiest way to do this is to roll up the sock almost completely, with just the toe of the sock sticking out. Place the foam over your bare toes. Then slip on the toe of the sock over the foam and the bottom of your toes. Then unroll the sock over the rest of the foot. The sock will now hold the foam in position. Then insert your foot into the boot and lace up.
What does high toebox mean? I can only find info about narrow and wide toebox.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
Absolutely not. My toes curled when my boot was too wide, and then continued to curl on my 2nd pair that was too long. Now that I finally have the right size (3rd times the charm) there is no more curling/scrunching. My feet and toes are nice and flat in the boot.
Do you have issues hitting your sweet spots when spinning due to curling? What are the issues that get better after you get a properly sized skate?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
What does high toebox mean? I can only find info about narrow and wide toebox.
Look at your boot from the side. The height at the toe end from the sole to the top, where the lacing starts, is the boot's depth. Brands and models within the same brand differ in depth at the toe end.

thisismynewsport

Rinkside
Do you have issues hitting your sweet spots when spinning due to curling? What are the issues that get better after you get a properly sized skate?
I can’t remember regarding sweet spot on my blades but I was more concerned about my foot health so I didn’t have those boots for very long. I’m sure someone can eventually get use to boots that are too long but I don’t think it’s worth it long term since you can end up with really bad injuries and permanent damage to your feet.

pwincessonice

Rinkside
Look at your boot from the side. The height at the toe end from the sole to the top, where the lacing starts, is the boot's depth. Brands and models within the same brand differ in depth at the toe end.
Do you know how can I insert an image that is not a link so I can confirm if what I'm seeing is correct?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Do you know how can I insert an image that is not a link so I can confirm if what I'm seeing is correct?
You're asking about the most technologically inept person on this forum, but, um, down at the bottom left of the space for typing a reply is a little box with a paper clip "Attach files". My cell phone is such an antique it doesn't take pictures, so I use a camera and scan pictures into the computer, or I stick the little camera card into the computer and get the photo directly off there. Your procedure will presumably differ if you took a picture with a phone, but still, click on Attach Files and then find your photo and add it or drag it or whatever you need to do to get it onto the screen. I think. :pray:If you're using a phone for the whole business, picture plus message, that's beyond my technological level. :slink:

pwincessonice

Rinkside
You're asking about the most technologically inept person on this forum, but, um, down at the bottom left of the space for typing a reply is a little box with a paper clip "Attach files". My cell phone is such an antique it doesn't take pictures, so I use a camera and scan pictures into the computer, or I stick the little camera card into the computer and get the photo directly off there. Your procedure will presumably differ if you took a picture with a phone, but still, click on Attach Files and then find your photo and add it or drag it or whatever you need to do to get it onto the screen. I think. :pray:If you're using a phone for the whole business, picture plus message, that's beyond my technological level. :slink:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1avJsZW-JD8g65juj8UdpA48RYTokb_5m/view?usp=drive_link

Can you see the picture?