Wagner Takes on Her Critics | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Wagner Takes on Her Critics

MalAssada

Medalist
I don't know the rules when it comes to waiting/watching, but if I were an elite skater and had the chance to watch or not, I'd watch the ones that skate after me. Ya know, a few death glares and close analisis in case they score higher than me ;)

Alba

Record Breaker
I don't know the rules when it comes to waiting/watching, but if I were an elite skater and had the chance to watch or not, I'd watch the ones that skate after me. Ya know, a few death glares and close analisis in case they score higher than me ;)

:biggrin:

No, I don't think there are rules against it.
She was kind of warming up all the time but she was there, in the arena.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I thought skaters didn't watch their competitors skating during the competition.
Therefore I was so susprised to see Courtney Hicks watching all the girls, before she skated, in the short as well as the long program at TEB.

Did she? Was/is there video? (or were you at the arena and just saw her there)

Alba

Record Breaker
Did she? Was/is there video? (or were you at the arena and just saw her there)

I was in the arena and saw her. Maybe you can see her during the performance of other skaters, but I didn't check the videos. She was behind the banners, warming up, close to the door where skaters were passing to go upstairs in the K&C area. She was wearing a black top.

noskates

Record Breaker
First, I don't find her comment offensive, I find it annoying. Second, she's indeed uncapable of doing the content of Tuktamysheva/Radionova/Pogorilaya. What's offensive about that?

They aren't the only 3 women in the world skating right now and that's just your opinion. Ashley has had a great deal of success with her skating and it shouldn't be minimized - whether you like her or not. While she isn't my favorite, she does deserve some respect for her accomplishments. To just make a flat statement that she has no technical ability is offensive (to me)

And yes, I probably would watch the skaters after me. In fact, on many telecasts they show skaters behind the scenes watching those following them.

Icey

Record Breaker
Some skaters watch the skaters that precede them; some don't. I believe Michelle would often stay in the dressing room till her time, not watching and , as much as possible, not listening.

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Ok, guys. It's that time. Make what you will of the following...

Here it is. Straight outta the conference call, the ENTIRE question, followed by Wagner's COMPLETE answer, IN CONTEXT:

Thanks for providing this. It was a awkward question. I think Ashley showed intelligence, balance and sensitivity.

Alba

Record Breaker
And yes, I probably would watch the skaters after me. In fact, on many telecasts they show skaters behind the scenes watching those following them.

Just to clarify that I was speaking about skaters watching those preceding them, not those following them.
I was surprised because most skaters I heard about this say that they don't like to watch skaters before, like Kwan for example that Icey mentioned, but also many others.

I'm not saying it's a problem. Just a curiosity.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for providing this. It was a awkward question.

No problem (and I agree). Always nice when quotes can be put into context. I always hesitate to judge what someone says in a quote from an article because it's almost always twisted to fit the author's agenda (quotes cherry-picked, other quotes conveniently left out)...that's why I really appreciate Ice Network putting up the full teleconference for our own ears.

Again, for those with access, I STRONGLY recommend listening to the whole segment.

fridakalo

Rinkside
Comparing to Irina Slutchkaya, recent Russian girls are too much girlish. it's not mature women's performance. fans expect that figure skating show to us not only about jump,but also about art and mature performance in especially SENIOR ladie figure skating.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Oh my god, honestly, even though I'm not a huge fan of Ashley Wagner, she said nothing wrong about the Russian girls. I don't think what she said was "smack talk," it was merely an observation when comparing the last Olympic cycle to this upcoming one. Of course the Russians haven't had time to build a legacy yet, especially with the three heavy weights (Yuna, Mao and Caro) gone, it'll be only a matter of time before a true star emerges from this set of competitors.

Franklin99

Medalist
Oh my god, honestly, even though I'm not a huge fan of Ashley Wagner, she said nothing wrong about the Russian girls. I don't think what she said was "smack talk," it was merely an observation when comparing the last Olympic cycle to this upcoming one. Of course the Russians haven't had time to build a legacy yet, especially with the three heavy weights (Yuna, Mao and Caro) gone, it'll be only a matter of time before a true star emerges from this set of competitors.

Exactly. And don't we all lump skaters from the same countries together When there's more than one top contenders. The Japanese (with the exception of Mao), the Russians, the Americans, the Canadians. Only Caro, Javi, and Yuna were never lumped in that category, simply because there were no other contenders from their respective countries to challenge them for the top.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley has had a great deal of success with her skating and it shouldn't be minimized - whether you like her or not. While she isn't my favorite, she does deserve some respect for her accomplishments. To just make a flat statement that she has no technical ability is offensive (to me)

Maybe it it was just me but the "all the Russians" comment didn't bug me all that much. I disagree but whatever. I probably keep better tabs on them than she does anyway:laugh: What I found to be rude and an inaccurate statement was the insinuation that somehow the Russians have it so easy and everything is worked out perfectly for them. I've already discussed this and I'll just say I'd love to see how this went down in the audio if anyone can relay that info.

The other point I want to attempt to make is I agree it's insulting to say Ashley has no Technical skills. Just as offensive as the many posts here supporting "Ashley keeping it real" by saying she is correct and the Russians are bland, don't stick out, and have zero artistic qualities. I would say a lot of my posts in this thread were in response to that. I find it unfortunate when people throw disparaging remarks at very talented skaters that because of their own hang ups they don't like.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe it it was just me but the "all the Russians" comment didn't bug me all that much. I disagree but whatever. I probably keep better tabs on them than she does anyway:laugh: What I found to be rude and an inaccurate statement was the insinuation that somehow the Russians have it so easy and everything is worked out perfectly for them. I've already discussed this and I'll just say I'd love to see how this went down in the audio if anyone can relay that info.

Will see what I can do. Anything to clear the air at this point...too much misinfo going on.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am reminded of a fairly recent discussion that came up in another thread about Lipnitskaia and her Schindler's List program.

A YL fan casually hypothesized that YL possibly or even probably was unaware that Josh Farris also had an SL program ... and further hypothesized that YL perhaps had never heard of Josh at all.

It was difficult for me to wrap my head around the possibility that YL truly was completely unaware of Josh, and I said so in the thread.
YL fans were quick to push back against my comment -- declaring that she has no reason to pay attention to other skaters; that perhaps she barely even knows who her compatriot Radionova is; that YL simply keeps to herself, etc., etc.
When I added that YL and Josh had been fellow medalists at Junior Worlds for two consecutive years, her supporters continued to insist that it would be perfectly reasonable for YL to have absolutely no knowledge of Josh.

I realize that the scenarios are not completely comparable b/c Wagner's comment was about members of her own discipline.

Just making note that expectations of different skaters are different depending on our own individual points of view.

(If YL really doesn't know who Josh is, I would not find fault with her -- but I would consider her lack of awareness to be somewhat strange.)

Last edited:

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Some skaters watch the skaters that precede them; some don't. I believe Michelle would often stay in the dressing room till her time, not watching and , as much as possible, not listening.

Tara Lipinski had been totally unnerved when Midori Ito bombed at Worlds - she started thinking about being able to beat her and it caused her to make all kinds of mistakes. Her coach started isolating her after that. By contrast, Elvis Stojko would reportedly watch his competitors. (according to Christine Brennan's one book - I don't remember which one)

It could be Ashley also doesn't watch skating because if you spend half your day at the rink doing it, the last thing they want to go do is watch figure skating. It was like when I worked as a secretary as a summer job - I would come home and if the phone ring I'd ask my parents to get it because I needed a break from phones!

On a semi-OT note (but it ties into Ashley critics) - I thought I recalled her speaking out and making some comments about Sasha Cohen's comeback in 2010 that weren't real...shall we say...supportive? And that was what put me off her. Now I'm wondering if I'm remembering the wrong person? I just would hate to dislike a skater for something they didn't actually do!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Will see what I can do. Anything to clear the air at this point...too much misinfo going on.

Well....I finally got to a computer where I can listen to this. On top of spending many hours at the rink this weekend I've been working a lot. So I've been stuck on my phone while posting here.

I will say this. The reporter hasn't done Ashley any favors with his reporting but the posters who began with insulting the Russians added fuel to the fire and I too became swept away.

Re: The Russians have everything worked out perfect
Yes she said this word for word. Nick wasn't even the one to ask the question and his reporting of this conversation isn't that good. I'm honestly not surprised to know that it was a hack job and even though I said all along that the reporter could be to blame....I still fell victim to misinformation and GS drama related to it. He failed to capture that she was laughing the question off and the true nugget IMO was that she said her coach likes to make it known how difficult training is for them but her tone made it sound like she thought it was unnecessary for him to do so. She said "honestly if it's only two hours I get then I can make the best of it" and she went on to say she didn't think she was at a huge disadvantage or anything. I apologize myself for getting caught up in what became speculation from misinformation and drama.

One thing I learned is that this reporter can not capture the true spirit of an interview. I will refrain from discussing any of his stories in the future for fear of being burned again although after rereading it free of charged emotions...it's not all that bad. I should have gone with my gut...I'm sorry.... :slink:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I realize that the scenarios are not completely comparable b/c Wagner's comment was about members of her own discipline.

Just making note that expectations of different skaters are different depending on our own individual points of view.

(If YL really doesn't know who Josh is, I would not find fault with her -- but I would consider her lack of awareness to be somewhat strange.)

I feel as though this is directed at me. Well the reason I put a :laugh: at the end of "I probably follow the Russians closer than Ashley does" was a poke at myself for being a skating nerd. I really do doubt that Ashley knows more about the Russians than I do. I will quiz bowl her to prove it if I must. :)

It was not an insult to Ashley as you may have perceived it to be but merely a failed joke at my own expense.

RE: The other thread
FWIW:
http://cs540103.vk.me/c540105/v540105298/25395/qIXX2oC0u9E.jpg
http://cs540103.vk.me/c540105/v540105394/2470d/h9FzJq3ReXM.jpg
http://cs540103.vk.me/c540105/v540105213/16d34/vpyWTsqW3hg.jpg

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker

Caveat: One thing you still cannot get from these transcripts is tone of voice, although I try my best to indicate which words have been vocally emphasized.

Anyway, here goes:

(about 3:42)
Q: (from Lynn): [actually, this is a follow-up to a previous question] ...And, just kind of a quick follow up, umm, your coach, uh, Rafael [Arutunian], uh, you know, always a very honest, uh, gentleman...and he says that sometimes you have...you don't really get as much ice time as you might like...uh, at your rink, you know, to work on all of these things [she's referring to jumps that Wagner mentioned working on in previous answer]. Umm, do you see that as a factor, you know, particularly going up against these, uh, Russians who...you know, have very good ice time?

A: (Wagner) I mean, I'm...I'm going up against, uh, a bunch of girls who have...uh, you know, an entire country giving them...uh, apartments (emphasis) and...uh, perfect ice time (emphasis)...and everything has really worked out perfectly (emphasis) for them...but...at the same time, you know what, my ice time might not be perfect, but I make the absolute best (emphasis) of what I have...Rafael...(laughs) Rafael loves to...let everybody know how difficult things can be (brief laugh) sometimes, but quite honestly, you know, if I have 2 hours on the ice and it's not exactly perfect training conditions, that's fine, it's the best I'm going to get that day and I have to just work with it. So it's not something that I think affects me all that much, because I'm just (???) kinda pushing through...uh, but...it would be nice to (laughs) live a day in the, in the Russians' shoes and, you know, have everything kind of perfectly set up so I can just focus on my training.

(Lynn says "Thank you", and they move on to the next question)

That's it, make of it what you will...

(although I must say that it is unclear whether she is simply exaggerating when she talk about the Russians because she does sound rather animated during that part)