Weir interview in SOS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Weir interview in SOS

bdreampixie

On the Ice
RIskatingfan said:
I have to say I find it a little strange that one person from the USFSA would know more about COP than Tarasova's team, Weir and his coach all together. But that's OK, I suppose not everything can come out perfectly all the time. Still, Tarasova is undoubtedly one of the coaches who better knows how to work with COP as her work with many skaters has shown. One only needs to check the protocols of Arakawa's programs from the past and current seasons, Goebel's programs this season, Weir's programs last season, even Cohen's very successful Malaguena and Swan Lake (that she then completely watered down With Robin Wagner for Worlds), just to name some examples.

I completely agree with this. TT has shown that she's very smart when it comes to COP. Who would of imagined that Goebel would have some of the highest levels on his elements, but he does. He has 2 L4 spins, all the rest are L3. I believe he only received one L1 element and it was a ftwk. seq. I kind of hope that Johnny skates his program the way TT originally choreographed and see if it works better.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think that if he skates the program that he really likes, the way he likes it, he will skate much better.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
attyfan said:
I think that if he skates the program that he really likes, the way he likes it, he will skate much better.
It is my opinion as well. It's important to have a highly maximized program, but even that won't be very useful if he can't perform it at its full potential and makes mistakes.

IMO he should focus on being able to do those 8 jumping passes clean, with the three allowed combinations, and perform the rest of the program to the best of his ability. Level 1 elements are of course not good enough for a skater of his quality, but at the same time, he doesn't need all the steps and spins to be level 4 to do well. Somehwere in the middle plus those maximized jumping passes and a good performance, this would most definitely be a recipe for success :agree:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
That's not what happened. Over the summer they did a new program - Liebestraum - that Weir then decided to change. The reason was something like "he didn't feel the music". So they did a new one, the current one. He was extremely happy with the program until he sent it to be reviewed by judges. The advice was that the program did not fit the COP requirements so he changed parts of the program. I'm almost sure this was something he did with his coach because he said something to the effect of "I felt bad for changing Tatiana Anatolievna's work". This is what I have gathered from his statements in his journals, to the press, etc. The program that he is now skating, and he doesn't seem to like, is this latter modified version of the program Tarasova choreographed for him.

I have to say I find it a little strange that Tarasova's team, Weir and his coach had done such a terrible work that they would need to change so much for the program to be competitive. But that's OK, I suppose not everything can come out perfectly all the time. Still, Tarasova is undoubtedly one of the coaches who better knows how to work with COP as her work with many skaters has shown. One only needs to check the protocols of Arakawa's programs from the past and current seasons, Goebel's programs this season, Weir's programs last season, even Cohen's very successful Malaguena and Swan Lake (that she then completely watered down With Robin Wagner for Worlds), just to name some examples.

We were posting at almost the same time, so I assume you did not read my post right before yours. Johnny changing his music (hence his LP) late int he game IS what happened. Whether that has contributed to his problems or not, only Johnny can know. But changing your LP music on 8/26 is absolutely making a "late change", and that IS what happened, even according to you.

DG

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
We were posting at almost the same time, so I assume you did not read my post right before yours. Johnny changing his music (hence his LP) late int he game IS what happened. Whether that has contributed to his problems or not, only Johnny can know. But changing your LP music on 8/26 is absolutely making a "late change", and that IS what happened, even according to you.

DG
Yes, I agree it's always risky to change programs, but it seems they felt confident enough that they had time and we've seen many skaters change their programs in a very short period of time (and during the season, NOT over the summer) and being quite successful with them.

What I don't understand is where does that date (8/26) comes from. You're saying he decided to change his program in the end of August and only had 6 weeks to do the program? Where did you read that?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
What I don't understand is where does that date (8/26) comes from. You're saying he decided to change his program in the end of August and only had 6 weeks to do the program? Where did you read that?

Please see the link in my previous post to Johnny's journal dated 8/26. That's when he announced his change of LP music / choreo.

DG

antmanb

Record Breaker
pollyls said:
So if the judges and the USFSA said he had to change the program, that it wouldn't be worth enough under CoP -- what does this mean for Goebel's program, and Kwan's, also choreographed by Tarasova? Has anybody heard whether they've had to make revisions also?:scratch: Didn't Michelle ask Tarasova to make her a program specifically because of her CoP expertise?

John Hamer of the UK also went to Tarasova for his choregoraphy this year and i seem to recall at Karl Schaeffer he came out with spins and footwork that were all level 3 or 4. I would have thought it depends what people ask from TT. If you look at the skaters that go to her none of them have the atristic reputation of Kwan. Kwan has choreographed some of her own exhibitions which have been stunning. With Kwan i very much think it will have been a collaboration, with skaters like Goebel and to a certain extent Weir, she has told them what to do, what to skate too, and heaven help them, what to wear. I doubt we'll see kwan in some hideous mish mash vile dress, i expect another fabulous Wang!

Ant

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
Please see the link in my previous post to Johnny's journal dated 8/26. That's when he announced his change of LP music / choreo.

DG
Yes, 8/26 is the date of his journal entry in which he announced to the fans about the change of LP. But there is nothing there that tells you that the decision was made that very day and how he would start working on the program after that date, as you're implying. In fact, it seems clear to me that by the time that journal entry was posted, a great part of the program (if not all) had already been done. He talked about the music selection (so the cuts had been made already), about the story and concept of the program, he even says how taxing the last 2 minutes are with the steps and spins. So it's obvious that by 8/26 the new program was already a work in progress, and perhaps even finished. I don't see anything supporting your theory that he only had 6 weeks to choeograph the new LP.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
Yes, 8/26 is the date of his journal entry in which he announced to the fans about the change of LP. But there is nothing there that tells you that the decision was made that very day and how he would start working on the program after that date, as you're implying. In fact, it seems clear to me that by the time that journal entry was posted, a great part of the program (if not all) had already been done. He talked about the music selection (so the cuts had been made already), about the story and concept of the program, he even says how taxing the last 2 minutes are with the steps and spins. So it's obvious that by 8/26 the new program was already a work in progress, and perhaps even finished. I don't see anything supporting your theory that he only had 6 weeks to choeograph the new LP.

Point well taken. But the fact remains that TT choreo'd one program, and then it changed. TT had a very busy summer as a choreographer, so who knows how this mid stream change may have affected the program as it stands now? I'm curious - does anyone know how much time TT spent with Johnny on the new program compared to the first one?

DG

Last edited:

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
Point well taken. But the fact remains that TT choreo'd one program, and then it changed. TT had a very busy summer as a choreographer, so who knows how this mid stream change may have affected the program as it stands now? I'm curious - does anyone know how much time TT spent with Johnny on the new program compared to the first one?

DG
I can tell you that TAT is always extremely busy over the summer, she always choreographs for many skaters. I don't think this summer was any different from the usual. I don't know how much time she spent in Weir's choreography and I don't think it would tell us much anyway because the skaters have different rhythms when it comes to pick up choreography and I don't know how Weir works in this aspect. But if you want to know, I suppose you can check his website/fan board and ask Weir himself when the time comes for another Q&A :)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
But if you want to know, I suppose you can check his website/fan board and ask Weir himself when the time comes for another Q&A :)

Great suggestion!! I just might do that. But whatever - I fell in LURVE with his skating over the last two seasons and I hope it comes together for him.

DG

Bijoux

Match Penalty
didn't read whole thread but why is it ok

for JW and men to boast, brag, show ego, etc and the ladies get smashed for doing the same. Anyone think of specific examples?

soogar

Record Breaker
Bijoux said:
for JW and men to boast, brag, show ego, etc and the ladies get smashed for doing the same. Anyone think of specific examples?

Well I personally feel that this season is a bit of payback for some of the snarky things he has said in interviews the last season.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
soogar said:
Well I personally feel that this season is a bit of payback for some of the snarky things he has said in interviews the last season.

You could be right that the "season" is bringing it on. I have a different "hope" and here it is:

2003: Quit.
2004: Learned and grew from that experience - US National Champ.
2005: US National Champ again, following an awesome season on the international stage.
2005/2006 early season: Oops - might be a tad over confident. Need to adjust physically and mentally.

I hope Johnny just continues to progress through all the mental & physical "stuff" so he can continue to bring us all memorable skates in the future.

If I had a "wish" it would be to see him resurrect Dr. Z with yesterday's passion, last year's confidence, and today's skills. :)

But...if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. :)

DG

Last edited:
Is Johnny overconfident, or is he defensive? When he says, "If I want your advice I'll ask for it," is he revealing his personality, or hiding it?

soogar

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Is Johnny overconfident, or is he defensive? When he says, "If I want your advice I'll ask for it," is he revealing his personality, or hiding it?

I never get that Johnny is overconfident. I think that he's insecure which is why he said a lot of the stuff he did last year because he obviously goes on message boards to read the feedback. So many posters thought he was cool for saying that "Michelle was dowdy" and he can challenge Plush artistically etc.

On one hand he gives long interviews saying how people on the internet have no lives and he doesn't care what they say because they can't so what he does on ice, and then on the other hand he b!tches that posters insult his friends and say his costumer is "on crack".

That said I love his SP costume this year and feel for him that he injured himself at Skate Canada. He's not my favorite skater, but I think that's a lot to go through in a season.