"Weird" death spirals | Golden Skate

"Weird" death spirals

zilam98

Rinkside
Why are all these current pairs doing really strange death spirals? Most of them no longer do the textbook arch in the death spirals (most notably on forward inside DS and back inside DS). I don't know if these styles are already what's considered textbook or standard in current pairs skating, or the pairs are trying to be "innovative", or that they just couldn't do the standard arch in death spirals anymore due to lack of ability or training.

Most of the ladies also have a really awkward entrance to the forward inside DS. They no longer keep their knees straight, not like the way Jamie did, for example. Most of the ladies seem to copy the entrance of Elena B. in forward inside DS. Is the latter technique already the textbook/standard technique?

And I hardly see pairs doing the back outside DS. Is it because they spend most of their time perfecting their jumps and throws that they could no longer afford to practice other pairs elements?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
zilam98:

Good question and boy are you paying attention to detail! Probably, you answered your own question:

Is it because they spend most of their time perfecting their jumps and throws that they could no longer afford to practice other pairs elements?

Just like the single skaters, pairs skaters are trying to achieve more in their jumps and throw moves so are perhaps neglecting the finer details that makes a pair program so special.

The best death spiral I ever saw, was done by Barb Underhill and Paul Martini. It was textbook.

Yes, I agree pairs do need to pay more attention to detail on their other moves - this would include the death spiral.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
death spiral

the strangest death spiral i've ever seen belongs to this soviet team that won jr worlds in 1998. they did this cantilever variation. it looked...nasty.

Antilles

Medalist
Catilever? Sounds kind of like the one Abitbol and Bernadis did. I agree there aren't a lot of great death spirals out there. Barb Underhill was the best. Kristy Sargeant-Wirtz had a great one as well. I'm trying to remember the current crop. I think L&A have good ones. I think Petrova and Tikhonov do too. How about Z&S? Can't remember theirs.

citrus

Rinkside
I was viewing "Magic Memories on Ice" borrowed from the library and saw a death spiral that may not be weird but it probably is unique. the performers were brother & sister, I think, the Jellenicks (not sure about the spelling).

The spiral starts normally & while the women is kinda of cantilevered balanced backwords, the man releases the hand and does a double-axel (so says the commentator); after the double-axel, the man takes hold of the woman's hand and continues to a normal death-spiral.

tdnuva

On the Ice
Those were the Jelineks I think..... (Canadians who were originally from Prague iirc)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Ladskater, this is for you :)

I was looking at some stuff on the net, and I found this death spiral from Heinrich Burger and Anna Hubler, world pair skating champions in 1908 and 1910. Beleive it or not, but the first picture there is the death spiral!

Cidz

Spectator
jamie and david's entrance into the death spiral is so much better and harder looking than the normal way...i actually prefer it!

katweige

Rinkside
It's funny that technique on death spirals should be brought up, because everytime I watch pairs with my roommate, I always just shake my head or complain when I see a forward inside death spiral entry. I just don't understand whey some women put the free leg in front when it just causes their butt to stick out! I finally got out a tape to show my roommate that had G&G doing one and Katia puts her free leg behind, sort of tucked underneath. It creates a much better body line. I just figured more pairs would opt for this technique since it creates a prettier entrance. Maybe it is more challenging?