2023-24 Junior Pairs | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Junior Pairs

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
I posted this on the NQS thread and am reposting it here.

The Advancement Criteria USFS put out differ from the Rulebook for junior pairs. I heard USFS is aware of the discrepancy, but I do not know how they plan to address it.

The 2024 SINGLES, PAIRS AND ICE DANCE QUALIFYING SEASON ATHLETE BYE & ADVANCEMENT CRITERIA https://www.usfigureskating.org/sit...Qualifying Bye Advancement Criteria Final.pdf says that for Junior Pairs:

JUNIOR PAIRS Maximum of 8 available spots at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships ... The top eight total combined junior scores from the nation in the U.S. Pairs Final

THE 2023-24 OFFICIAL U.S. FIGURE SKATING RULEBOOK
https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/2023-24 Rulebook.pdf

2502 Pairs teams qualify for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships:
A. For the junior events by:

1. Placing in the top 12 in junior at the U.S. Pairs Final;
2. Earning a bye: a. For qualifying to compete in the same event at the Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (not including alternates); b. As a member of the United States Figure Skating Team who meets the approved criteria per rule 2511.

Teams qualifying under this subparagraph (2) have the choice to compete at the U.S. Pairs Final but do not lose their bye to the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, regardless of placement, nor displace a team who would have placed in the top 12 at the U.S. Pairs Final if said team had not competed. At such final the top 12 places plus the competitor(s) who receive a bye will advance to the U.S. Figure Skating Championships.

The Rulebook says top 12, but the Advancement Criteria says top 8.

From what I heard, the four novice teams that qualify for nationals based on the Advancement Criteria will have a separate event and not compete together with the junior teams. It is not like how it is with Junior singles, where the top 2 novices for singles compete with the juniors and explicitly said in the Advancement Criteria document. The Novice pairs competition at the nationals is separate from the junior pairs event.

Has anyone heard anything about this discrepancy?

Last edited:

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Last NQS for pairs at the Boston Open https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2023/33513/index.asp

Here's the Junior Pair competitors

Saya Carpenter, Detroit SC
Jon Maravilla, Detroit SC
2Saige Belle Purther, Arctic FSC
William Church, Heart Of Illinois SC
3Cayla Smith, Fort Wayne ISC
Jared McPike, Broadmoor SC
4Ashley Fletcher, Orange County FSC
Aaron Felberbaum, DuPage FSC
5Sydney Cooke, Elite Edge SC
Matthew Kennedy, Patriot FSC

Carpenter/Maravilla are not going to Boston so withdraw

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
A week with not one but two junior pair events: Trophée Metropole Nice Côte d'Azur, and Diamond Spin (has a livestream!). Each event has enough participants to garner the top five finishers some international competition WS/WR points. International debuts for Behnke/Sauve, Callahan/Roch and Pazienza/Knorr in Nice. Also keep an eye out for Slovakia's Heckova/Valky in Advanced Novice; she will be age-eligible for juniors next season.

Great Britain is down a pair as Davison and Caller have parted ways; Davison will be looking for a new partner.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
That's a shame. :( It had been mentioned that they were struggling with practice time for the pair elements. They reportedly couldn't afford private ice time, so were having to practice everything during public/freestyle sessions. Sadly there isn't really any funding available here. Those in the performance squad (which requires skaters to have the technical minimums for Europeans or Junior Worlds, which Davison and Caller didn't have) get a little bit of support from BIS, but I don't think it's much.

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Sorry to hear that, although that's the story in several countries these days, regarding funding. It's a struggle for sure.

Do Hennessey/Kirby still train? I ask because they were training in Berlin back in April.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Sorry to hear that, although that's the story in several countries these days, regarding funding. It's a struggle for sure.

Do Hennessey/Kirby still train? I ask because they were training in Berlin back in April.
I think they are an Advanced Novice pair, rather than a Junior one?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
They haven't competed as a pair this season, neither in Jrs nor in Novices, but both have competed as singles skaters, so I am assuming they aren't skating together anymore 🤔 Unless there's some injury or health-related issue that would allow them to do singles but not pairs at the moment. :scratch2:

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Yes, I'm just curious who Great Britain has in development for pairs, seeing as there are pairs coaches in several clubs.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Only 7 Junior Pair teams will compete at the Tacoma US Sectional Finals. So, based on the advancement criteria where eight teams will advance, all these teams will qualify for the nationals. Am I right?

I thought there'd be more. Eleven teams competed in the NQS. Luke Wang and Olivia got a JGPF, so they got a bye. Naomi might still be in recovery.

Juvenile pairs = 7
Intermediate pairs = 11
Novice pairs = 10
Senior pairs = 11

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
Post Tayside / Diamond Spin / Trophée Metropole, updating the teams that have their TES minimums for Junior Worlds (with their Seasons Best score):

USA 1 - Flores / Wang - 154.52
USA 2 - Williams / Lewer - injury
USA 3 - ?
AUS 1 - Golubeva / Giotopoulos Moore - probably not competing junior this season
UKR 1 - Sierova / Khobta - 153.77
JPN 1 - ?
FRA 1 - Ehrhard / Pellegris - 132.50
FRA 2 - Telemaque / Coulon - 119.46
CAN 1 - Kemp / Elizarov - 159.91
CAN 2 - Ariano Kent / Laliberte Laurent - 158.28
(CAN 3 - Desrochers / Thrasher - 146.34)
(CAN 4 - Callahan / Roch)
CZE 1 - Cohen / Vochozka - 123.77
CZE 2 - ?
CHN 1 - Yang / Deng - 129.79
CHN 2 - Shi / Wang - 123.50
GER 1 - Loewenherz / Loewenherz - 117.06
GER 2 - Ackermann / Harms - 100.62
GBR 1 - Hay / McLeod - 113.93
GEO 1 - Metelkina / Berulava - 190.45 - will they compete at JW?
ITA 1 - Napolitano / Comi - 131.75
(ITA 2 - Polman / Renoldi - 106.67)
SVK 1 - Sitkova / Kubacak - 101.15)

So projecting between 14-18 pairs for Junior Worlds (I assume the cutoff for the FP is 20?).

With Ice Challenge cancelled, next up is JGPF and YOG, then a handful of winter internationals for a last few teams to try to get their TES minimums. And national events, of course.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
A strong showing from Cooke/Kennedy, who won the US Pairs Finals.

Griffin/Park are fun to watch, and they have a great connection.

Was expecting Zheng/Deng to win but it was a solid performance

Carpenter/Maravilla got the highest technical score, in huge part due to their side-by-side jumps

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
2 Junior Pair boys will do double duty at the Nationals

Jon Maravilla got 4th in the Pacific sectionals for Junior Men

Luke Wang got 5th but since Maravilla is from midwest, he will not displace a Pacific skater at the nationals

So both boys will do both Junior Pairs and Junior Men

midori green

On the Ice
Jared McPike and Cayla Smith confirmed that they will be at the YOG. Jared is already sporting his Team USA jacket at the Midwest sectionals where he will compete novice
Cayla is also competing individually in novice at Midwesterns. I'm looking forward to seeing their pairs progress in the future.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
Cayla is also competing individually in novice at Midwesterns. I'm looking forward to seeing their pairs progress in the future.
I didn't see Cayla at the rink today, but I will watch her when she competes tomorrow. Looking forward to the Novice Ladies event

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
The list of US Nationals qualifiers have been released:

Junior Pairs

• Saya Carpenter and Jon Maravilla (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Sydney Cooke and Matthew Kennedy (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Melania Delis and Jaden Schwab (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Ashley Fletcher and Aaron Felberbaum (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Olivia Flores and Luke Wang (bye)
  • Reagan Moss and Jakub Galbavy (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Audrey Park and Carter Griffin (U.S. Pairs Final)
  • Naomi Williams and Lachlan Lewer (bye)
  • Adele Zheng and Andy Deng (U.S. Pairs Final)

Maravilla and Wang also qualified to compete in the Junior Men event

Last edited: