What are you listening to right now? | Page 124 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Haven't posted an obituary in here for a long time, but I just found out in the past hour (on @NoNameFace's Twitter profile) that one of my favourite singers died today.

Tina Turner died after a long illness at the age of 83.

I'm heartbroken. 💔

How on Earth do you sum up her career in one song?! You can't! She had so many great songs!

She and Ike mightn't have had the best of marriages, but some of the songs they recorded together are simply all time greats:

Ike and Tina Turner - "River Deep – Mountain High"

Ike and Tina Turner - "Proud Mary"

Ike and Tina Turner - "Nutbush City Limits"

Moving onto her solo career, and she had so many great songs in the 80's. Too many to include here. So, here are just a few of my favourites:

Tina Turner - "Let's Stay Together"

Tina Turner - "I Can't Stand The Rain"

OK, so those songs are covers (didn't realise until there now that "I Can't Stand The Rain" was a cover). But, here are some where Tina was the original artist:

Tina Turner - "What's Love Got To Do With It"

Tina Turner - "Private Dancer"

Tina Turner - "We Don't Need Another Hero"

Tina Turner - "Steamy Windows"

Actually, I take back what I said at the start of this post. You can sum Tina Turner up in one song. And it is her most famous song:

Tina Turner - "Simply The Best"

My thoughts go out to her family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

decafjava

On the Ice
Country
Switzerland
Listening to her playlist right now, what better way to honour her? Tina Turner went through some real horrible stuff but shone on and had a long and I hope happy life.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, before I go any further I have to confess that it is not tonight that I am listening to this. It was actually about 48 hours ago.

@elektra blue - I have always loved your national anthem. But this rendition, which was performed just before last Sunday's MotoGP race in Mugello, is just beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0MwrAlgMzM&t=2145

I really hope it is not geoblocked.

Enjoy!

:)

CaroLiza_fan

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"Don't Worry About Me" by Frances. It would be spectacular for a pairs SP....problem is....I cry most times listening to it.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
OK, before I go any further I have to confess that it is not tonight that I am listening to this. It was actually about 48 hours ago.

@elektra blue - I have always loved your national anthem. But this rendition, which was performed just before last Sunday's MotoGP race in Mugello, is just beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0MwrAlgMzM&t=2145

I really hope it is not geoblocked.

Enjoy!

:)

CaroLiza_fan
...remind me why we're still friends you and i?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
...remind me why we're still friends you and i?

Because of my impeccable taste in all things. Including "Italian pop trios". (Personally, I never would have described them as that).

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :devil:

But, after hearing that, I am starting to understand why you don't like them. They managed to take an anthem that I always enjoy listening to because of it's jaunty and fun nature, and they turned it into something that sounded serious.

It's like you being serious. It's something that just should not be allowed to happen! ;) :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Because of my impeccable taste in all things. Including "Italian pop trios". (Personally, I never would have described them as that).

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :devil:

But, after hearing that, I am starting to understand why you don't like them. They managed to take an anthem that I always enjoy listening to because of it's jaunty and fun nature, and they turned it into something that sounded serious.

It's like you being serious. It's something that just should not be allowed to happen! ;) :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan
Mameli's anthem is actually very serious, it literally says "we're ready to die", it's a military march, google the lyrics. Il Volo of course managed to make it cheesy, but that's their dark power

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Mameli's anthem is actually very serious, it literally says "we're ready to die", it's a military march, google the lyrics. Il Volo of course managed to make it cheesy, but that's their dark power

Wow! 😲 I would never have imagined your anthem was a march. When I think of anthems that are marches, the first one that comes to mind is the Turkish. And you couldn't get two more contrasting anthems! Yet, I now find out that they are of the same vein. :dbana:

You know, it's sometimes an advantage not being able to understand lyrics. You appreciate the musical value more. Knowing what the song is actually about can take away from that.

Speaking of marches just reminded me of another recent pre-race anthem performance that I wanted to share. The Spanish and Catalan anthems, from just before the Spanish F1 Grand Prix at the Circuit de Catalunya:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GS3LCHG-rA

Imagine wheeling a grand piano onto a race track, and then having to wheel it off again! :drama:

And while I'm at it, what about this for staging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFiX2mLbPYs

The singer, Aysel Mammadova, was Azerbaijan's Eurovision entry in 2018. And whilst her song, "X My Heart" was one of the songs that I marked as liking, you would never have thought from listening to it that her voice was as good as it was when she was singing the anthem. Yes, it is 5 years later so her vocal capabilities could have improved in that time. But, I am more leaning towards her being undersold by the song.

Unfortunately, that happens a lot at Eurovision...

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's punk, Jim, but not as we know it!

Sailor Honeymoon - "Cockroach"

Make sure to read Abi's T-shirt at the start. It teaches us an important lesson.

CaroLiza_fan

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Rose Tattoo - Mean Mary

Hubbell and Donahue should come out of retirement for this one🤩

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I saw the news on the program thread that Xiangyi An will be skating to Curse of the Golden Flower by Shigeru Umebayashi, so I trotted over to youtube and am checking it out, it's wonderful. I do want to see which themes...

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I saw the news on the program thread that Xiangyi A will be skating to Curse of the Golden Flower by Shigeru Umebayashi, so I trotted over to youtube and am checking it out, it's wonderful. I do want to see which themes...
The film is epic and utterly tragic..
Absolute power..
The music is divine