What are you listening to right now? | Page 127 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I watched a film yesterday that was set in various parts of Southern Ireland. And during it, a traditional song from Northern Ireland was played. Except, the lyrics were changed to refer to Dublin instead of Belfast, so as to fit in with the setting of the film. And I was raging. Apart from anything else, it meant the chorus no longer made sense, because in it's original form the line in question is a play on words. :drama:

So, here is the most famous recording with the correct words:

Van Morrison and The Chieftans - "I'll Tell Me Ma"

Why could the producers of this film not have just used the traditional song that everybody else goes for when they want a song about Dublin?!

I think Paddy Reilly is doing the lead vocals on this recording (it's certainly not Ronnie Drew!):

The Dubliners - "Molly Malone"

(By the way, I was surprised that I could only find two recordings of this song by artists from NI. Unfortunately, I didn't like either version. Ruby Murray slowed the song down too much for her version, and Johnny Logan's version was plain awful!)

CaroLiza_fan
I was testing an old cassette player just the other day to see if it still worked, and the cassette I happened to pull out of the drawer was Dennis Day's ["greatest hits" -- whatever the title really was]. I keep it around because it's the only recording I have of his version of Sinner Man which he did better than anyone else. It also has Molly Malone on it. I doubt if the recording ever came out on CD, though.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Lately, I tend to get back to sort of 'old-ish' Polish music of 90s, early 2000s. And this is what I've just listened to - 'Odchodząc' from Republika (loose translation of that song title would be I believe something like 'while I'm going away').
This is one of my favourite Polish songs ever I think, if not the most beloved one. I love the music, but the lyrics are for me the focal point. The leader of the band passed away almost 22 years ago, way too early. I wish he would write more brilliant songs like this one.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Finally found out what the music is that my youngest kid, Oliviia Bazlova (CYP), is doing one of her programmes to:

Lady Gaga - "Bloody Mary"

The programme I am talking about is absolutely brilliant. It is so good that I would post a link to it within the archived livestream from the Volvo Open Cup (that performance achieved her highest ever score), but the sound quality is awful. The arena was VERY echoey. The sound was much better when she did it at the Tallinn Trophy yesterday (which is why I was able to make out the lyrics and find out what the song was), but that stream got taken down. 😞

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
"A Rainy Night in Soho" in memory of Shane McGowan. It's no mean feat that he made it to 65 years old after a life of addiction, still I feel very sad that he's gone. Here's to a flawed human being (aren't we all, though?) and a phenomenal lyricist (those are few).

Agreed. He had a hard life, but it was still a shock to hear that he had died.

I make a point of avoiding everything Christmas related until December. But, since it is now 1st December, it is probably appropriate to post probably his most famous song as my tribute:

The Pogues featuring Kirsty MacColl - "Fairytale Of New York"

And here is a cover The Pogues did of a song that was written by Ewan MacColl:

The Pogues - "Dirty Old Town"

(Never knew Kirsty's Dad wrote it. Or that The Pogues covered it. I only ever knew it being sung by The Dubliners).

And now, sadly, Shane is re-united with Kirsty and Ewan. 😞

Here is a song Shane wrote for his first band:

The Nips - "Gabrielle"

And although Shane was only part writer, I have to finish with the band's debut single (released under their original band name):

The Nipple Erectors - "King Of The Bop"

He sure was!

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had no clue who Shane McGowan was, may he rest In peace, until I saw this:

Never heard of "Fairytale of New York" until I heard this, but maybe people who knew the song before will appreciate the Billboard No. 1 cover (No. 1 for reasons that I fear have nothing to do with Mr. McGowan, or my beloved football Eagles for that matter ;))

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Room 8 - Leo Kottke (12 string guitar)

The story of Room 8
A black & white tabby cat adopted by school children in California
He lived at the school while in session, arriving promptly on the first day when the bell rang then disappeared for the summer, from 1952 to 1968. News media would line up on the first day of school to watch him stride up the road and into the building.

Leo Kottke wrote this piece in his honor😻

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was listening to the version of "The Long and Winding Road" that Piper and Paul danced to during the 2022 Olympic season (Version by Govardo) and I realized towards the 2nd half, it reminded my of "Your Heart Will Lead You Home" by Kenny Loggins. Which was in the Tigger Movie. I remember belting that song out quite a few times on the playground in kindergarten. Oh those were the days.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I was listening to the version of "The Long and Winding Road" that Piper and Paul danced to during the 2022 Olympic season (Version by Govardo) and I realized towards the 2nd half, it reminded my of "Your Heart Will Lead You Home" by Kenny Loggins. Which was in the Tigger Movie. I remember belting that song out quite a few times on the playground in kindergarten. Oh those were the days.

A memory to be cherished🩵😻

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Now that everybody is definitely in 2024, I'll post this.

For many years, it was a tradition that the following song would be played during the messing about after the Finale of the Gala at the Russian Championships. But, for the past two years, they haven't played it. :mad: 😞

So, since we were deprived of it last week, I think now would be an appropriate time to listen to it.

ABBA - "Happy New Year"

Guid New Yeir A'body!!!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The New Year's Concert from Vienna! Clapping along in the right places for the Radetzsky March!

At least you were clapping in the right places. A lot of the audience weren't, and the conductor was struggling to reign them in.

My Mum and I watch the concert live every year, and we were left disappointed with this year's concert.

The BBC and RTÉ both show the concert live, so we have a choice of where to watch it. And over the years we have found that with both channels there are drawbacks to watching their coverage. The BBC cuts away in time for 12:45 GMT whether the broadcast is actually over or not, whereas RTÉ stays on air right to the bitter end of the broadcast. On the other hand, RTÉ puts in adverts during the interval act (one set early on during it, and another set towards the end). So, what we normally do is watch the concert itself on RTÉ, and then flick over to the BBC for the interval act. That way, we do manage to see the whole of the broadcast.

As I said, the BBC leaves in time for 12:45 GMT, whereas RTÉ normally stays on air until between 12:50 and 12:55. And that is reflected in the schedules for BBC2 and RTÉ1. But this year, the whole broadcast finished just before 12:40. 😲 We had actually noticed that the final section with the polka schnell, the "Blue Danube" and the "Redetzky March" had started earlier than normal, and half an hour later we found out why. The whole concert was shorter than normal. :mad:

Because we thought we would be getting 15 minutes more music, we felt robbed! 😞

That said, what we did get was good! :biggrin:

Hope you enjoyed it!

CaroLiza_fan