What Drew You to Online Skating Forums? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What Drew You to Online Skating Forums?

Scrufflet

Final Flight
skatingfan, googling about my favourite skater brought me to skating forums.:) I also follow information regarding live streaming and competition details. If a thread subject is of interest to me, I will join in the discussion. I am very old and old fashioned. I believe in mutual respect. I hate trolls. :biggrin:

Ah spiky, kindred spirit!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am not 100% sure, I think it was purely by accident I found Golden Skate. I was just looking up everything to do with figure skating as I used to be a figure skater. I saw someone on Golden Skate asking about music that Michelle Kwan skated to, I joined to answer the question - never intending to join in anymore discussions - and the rest as they say is history:biggrin:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I started googling info about my favorite figure skaters circa 2001 Worlds. Then I found some forums about them, & eventually discovered GS & FSU. I prefer GS over FSU, since most of the posters are relatively more polite here. I lurked @ FSU for a long time, until I finally started to post there. Now that there are Facebook & Twitter, I keep in touch with my favorites there as well.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah, skating fans tend to be harder and harder to find....but they seem to be of higher intelligence, have longer attention spans, and enjoy art, beauty and sport all rolled into one....unfortunately, we are a dieing breed, it seems.....at least in this country....skating fans also seem to upon the whole have a smaller interest in ill eagle drugs, unlike rock concert goers....I didn't see many using molly and dope at worlds like folks use at US rock concerts....maybe we kind of are a die breed....once I went to a sectional and a person sat down next to me and said, "Are you the other fan?"
Chris who doesn't care about NASCAR or Sports involving balls....
(Please note, Doris, that I refrained from saying something flippant like, "I like this forum for the wild women and hard liquor!" :agree:

:slink: I started out with the old Skatefans list. However, I never had the guts to post there. I transitioned to GS in the old about.com days. I just wanted to talk to somebody about skating. No one I knew was interested at all.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
^^
You know, it's hard to believe that doris was ever hesitant to post!:laugh:
But then, it took me a long time because I was terrified that I would offend someone or I'd get attacked by a troll. Finally, I figured I should just go for it and am glad I did. And yes, both have happened but I've survived! And met some nice friendly people along the way.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
^^
You know, it's hard to believe that doris was ever hesitant to post!:laugh:
But then, it took me a long time because I was terrified that I would offend someone or I'd get attacked by a troll. Finally, I figured I should just go for it and am glad I did. And yes, both have happened but I've survived! And met some nice friendly people along the way.
Unfortunately, life is full of trolls....they are mostly cowards and on the net they can do their attacking anonymously. Most, IMHO, are miserable people who take great joy in making others miserable....when ever I hear someone giving a checkout person a hard time for something they have no control over, I just think to myself, "It must suck to be you......"
On the web, the best thing you can do about a troll is to ignore it....

Mean people suck....

BTW, I am on some forums that pretty much let trolls run free....I don't spend lots of time on those....I like forums where moderators take care of trolls.....

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
At least one forum that has lots of trolls allows people to have pseuds. Consequently, if you were feeling trollish, you'd just create a troll screen name, and post your trollish post.

GS doesn't allow pseuds (at least nowadays that the software checks for "Multiple Logins." I think that is a good thing.

On the other hand, in the old days, there were several people who had pseuds that they hid behind to reveal a secret side of their nature that was funny & charming. There was a pseud named roundboypete who expressed himself in funny rhymes most often. Not having pseuds means no roundboypete's as well as no "Vuhmin Uersee" which is my name put through a troll name generator.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
At least one forum that has lots of trolls allows people to have pseuds. Consequently, if you were feeling trollish, you'd just create a troll screen name, and post your trollish post.

GS doesn't allow pseuds (at least nowadays that the software checks for "Multiple Logins." I think that is a good thing.

On the other hand, in the old days, there were several people who had pseuds that they hid behind to reveal a secret side of their nature that was funny & charming. There was a pseud named roundboypete who expressed himself in funny rhymes most often. Not having pseuds means no roundboypete's as well as no "Vuhmin Uersee" which is my name put through a troll name generator.

A troll name generator? Who knew such a thing existed? Now I have to go find one to see what my name would be.

A troll name generator? Who knew such a thing existed? Now I have to go find one to see what my name would be.

It's not one of those things like where you combine the name of the first street you lived on with the name of your pet, is it?

Gee, if I wanted to make up a troll name, I wouldn't check out a name generator. I'm a medievalist. There are dead languages aplenty to choose from. I highly recommend this technique! Or maybe one could go to Norse mythology and choose the name of an actual troll. And there's always Yrch, which according to Tolkien is the Elvish word for orc.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
It's not one of those things like where you combine the name of the first street you lived on with the name of your pet, is it?

Gee, if I wanted to make up a troll name, I wouldn't check out a name generator. I'm a medievalist. There are dead languages aplenty to choose from. I highly recommend this technique! Or maybe one could go to Norse mythology and choose the name of an actual troll. And there's always Yrch, which according to Tolkien is the Elvish word for orc.

I had heard years ago that you were to use your middle name and the street you lived on to get the one you'd use as a romance novelist (or soap opera actress). Therefore, I would have been Judith St. Paul!

Sounds like a great nom de plume!

I always wanted to use the name Oubliette DeVaur (if you say the surname aloud with the German pronunciation of the /au/ sound....:)) as a writer of thrilling romances. Since I lived on a street with a number when I was a child, I had to go further afield for panache.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Paulina Shennecossett? I think not :rofl:

I went looking for a troll name, found the generator and had to roll the dice a bit with it.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jeannette Webster who wrote really dirty books.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Paulina Shennecossett? I think not :rofl:

I went looking for a troll name, found the generator and had to roll the dice a bit with it.

I kind of like Paulina Shennecossett! Now I could see your point if the end result turned out to be Ethel Rural Route 4!

That's kind of what my name would have been--something along the lines of Victoria 67. Sounds like a cleanser.