What? No American Idol Thread? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What? No American Idol Thread?

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
atomrofl.gif

Wow, I don't think I've seen THIS many bad singers before. I didn't watch the start of the first three but last night's show was pretty entertaining...but I don't know how much more I can take.

But Red Dog! It's your favorite part! :laugh:
I peeked (through my fingers, while cringing) at the second hour of last night's show during Top Chef's commercial breaks. I seem to have heard all the worst parts of the show because I heard them all again on the radio this morning.
There is no escape from the Idol Borg - we've ALL been assimilated!
"Pauler" even sounded drunk on the radio. I think I want her job...
xoxo
Rave

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Simon looked like he was bored with the whole process. Half the singers Simon rejected the other two were giving the green light to Hollywood. Paula looks and sounds looped half of the time. I didn't think the last American Idol show was that great, this one should be even worse.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you're just biased towards Canadian Idol ;)

Simon should be bored, the worst of the worst came out in full force this year. What happens, as he has explained just about every year, is that they get a string of bad singers, so when one is even marginally good they put them through because they're just thankful someone can carry half a tune. He seems to be trying to stop that from happening but Randy and Paula can't get past it.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What happens, as he has explained just about every year, is that they get a string of bad singers, so when one is even marginally good they put them through because they're just thankful someone can carry half a tune.

I am wondering if that is the reason that we see the "video footage" of people with the ticket, yet some of them we never heard sing. I was wondering, why have all this crap and not show more of the ones who made it. Seani and his balance thing again:laugh: I guess there are some that so "squeaked by" that they would rather show crap than "simi-talent."

Personally I would rather see all of the auditions who made it and cut back on the crap and the making unnecessary comments. I most often agree with Simon's decisions, but not his mouth. Yet I never agree with any of the people getting ousted ever second guessing or returning nasty comments about Simon. He might not be saying it well, but he is correct 90% of the time IMO. I still think he is right about Taylor Hicks. I don't think he is going to last, and I think the "idol" aspect was to 2% of the populous and he will drop off the face....

As for Rosie's comments, once again the Moronic gesture of OVER EXAGGERATING will belittle the valid point she is trying to make. It does happen but I do not agree with her - in that I think "They do need to hear the truth." And the "mentally unstable" need to know what is real. It is what any developmentally disabled person I have ever know has acutely proved useful to their lives. Not putting them in a bubble and saying everything is just fine, when it is not. Give them the truth (not so harshly Simon) for it is the one thing that will equal the truth. If they learn something that is false or just "fluff and smoke up the ..." then they will be constantly frustrated when nothing seems to add up to what they "think" the truth is. "Genius to challenged" a wake up call is something that should be embraced. Deny as much as you want, but reality will be real.

And what is it about a "loopy" Paula that makes her more attractive???:p

And Randy Anit the Dawg!!!!:p :p :p :cool:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Taylor's album rocks! :p so there...

I love Simon and agree with him most of the time. He's harsh, but no worse than anyone else they would encounter in teh business. It's not like this is the first season where no one knew who he was. It's season six for crying outloud! You know what they expect, and you KNOW that Simon is going to flat out tell you YOU SUCK. So quit whining! LOL

Sean - you sound like my dad about the auditions. He is tired of the bad ones... but the BAD auditions is what got AI its audience in the first place, and after William Hung (and last year's clay wannabe) there is no way they aren't going to continue to market crap.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sean - you sound like my dad about the auditions. He is tired of the bad ones... but the BAD auditions is what got AI its audience in the first place, and after William Hung (and last year's clay wannabe) there is no way they aren't going to continue to market crap.

Not only do we share that in common, but we both had a crush on Dorothy:love: :love: :love: :laugh: - not to mention "Ross Geller":rofl: having a crush on DH as well.

I agree the reality check - I think I was clear ??- but as far as animal comparisons or weight issues, that is over the line IMO.

"I don't believe your eyes will be perceived well by the public as a pop singer, and your voice does not make up for it IMO. It would be best to look into doing something other then singing for you." - he does not need to tell the guy he looks like a Lemur, or as he said (which was commonly a racial slur) Bush Baby. What!!!! Come on bud, you might be correct and have the history to prove it. But there is a point where Simon is either Trying to get attention (he we are with the shameless self promotion thing again) or he is just an A** and his peers should help him realize that can have a negative out come and truly not necessary. The people receiving that type of critique are more likely to write off what he says and not take it as "good honest critique," but just a big jerk and I won't listen to a thing he says." He is smart, but is anyone really seeing that, or that he is a twerp?

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree that the racial slur was uncalled for. I am EXTREMELY surprised that the fox network did not censor all or part of his speech

however, while I am overweight, I do agree with him on the weight issue. Aretha Franklin not withstanding, overweight singers do not make it into mainstream music. Yes certain genres can get away with it (Christian/Gosbel come to mind) most end up being pressured into getting thinner. If they're not willing to do it or at least consider it, then they shouldn't apply.

Ruben is a big guy, and since AI he's had to slim down because the stress of performing was affecting his health because he was SO BIG.

I'm all for a little fluff, but you have to be realistic about this kind of thing. Image is just as much a part of it as anything. (And the guy that Simon did hit with the racial slur was a bit too different looking. He looked like 'Dr. Einstein' from Arsenic and Old Lace)

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that the racial slur was uncalled for. I am EXTREMELY surprised that the fox network did not censor all or part of his speech

however, while I am overweight, I do agree with him on the weight issue. Aretha Franklin not withstanding, overweight singers do not make it into mainstream music. Yes certain genres can get away with it (Christian/Gosbel come to mind) most end up being pressured into getting thinner. If they're not willing to do it or at least consider it, then they shouldn't apply.

Ruben is a big guy, and since AI he's had to slim down because the stress of performing was affecting his health because he was SO BIG.

I'm all for a little fluff, but you have to be realistic about this kind of thing. Image is just as much a part of it as anything. (And the guy that Simon did hit with the racial slur was a bit too different looking. He looked like 'Dr. Einstein' from Arsenic and Old Lace)

My thought on him was Eigor from "Young Frankenstein" or Peter Lorree with glaucoma. But I would never say that to the guy. I might have told him he should look into an acting career if he is serious about getting in the business.

ITA with every comment in your post. I wonder if I am being misunderstood?? I remember how he addressed Ruben and Taylor, and that was precisely what I would expect as a "professional." Those comments were well thought and very decorous.

It could be that he sees no hope in the ones he goes off the deep end with the comments. He could just feel like, what is the point of being nice, and most of the "auditioner's" already have giving a snide look or smart aleck comment toward Simon, so really, hey why not.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sean, you're not being misunderstood. Simon is thrashed more for his weight comments than anything else, and I wanted to get it out that as an overweight female in the US I agree with Simon, not his critics...

you also have to realize that they only show bits and pieces of the audition. From what I read they don't spend a couple seconds on one song, a lot of them do two or three and they can argue for days lol

Johar

Medalist
Having seen years of bad auditions, the novelty has worn off and I wish they would devote more airtime to the ones who were put through to Hollywood.

Remember Elizabeth Pha from Season 4 auditions? She wore fishnet stockings. Well, she has a website out: http://www.chandaramusic.com/

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe there were just THAT many bad singers? Sounds as if there was little talent out there, at least in the two locations they went to. However, even I feel they could have mixed it up a little and showed more of the singers who made it through. I have to say though that I'm rather highly entertained by the wannabes. :laugh:

I can't help but believe that those awful singers are plants to make the ratings go up. They know they can't sing and their mother's know it too.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think some of the more over the top singers are, yes... but then there are others who no doubt believe they're every bit as good as Kelly Clarkson or Clay Aiken

anyone else watch the Idol Rewind they've been showing? It basically rehashes the first season of Auditions and Hell week... so interesting to see Kelly as a non-favorite as I didn't watch Idol until the finale of the first season :eek:

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
The main issue I had with the 2 episodes so far is that they were each 2 hours long. These things were done ages ago and the producers could've said. "Ugh, there are too many bad people. Maybe we should only have 1 hour shows for these cities'.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olivia replacing Paula:eek: , where did that come from? I don't mind but where did she come from to get evolved in this?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Didn't know she was going to replace anyone, I know she's helping judge "Grease: You're the One That I Want"

it's only 1 hour tomorrow *sigh*

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't know she was going to replace anyone, I know she's helping judge "Grease: You're the One That I Want"

it's only 1 hour tomorrow *sigh*

The first I heard was during ET last night making dinner for the folks. Olivia was not surprised to hear the question and responded fairly monotone with a, " I have heard nothing form them directly."

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I can't believe I am suffering through the early stages of the show. I guess it is a good laugh at the end of the day. I catch the end of the show when I get home from work. So far there have been maybe two singers I think should be there - the rest can go home.

I notice they are using extra judges this time - it's not just the three muskateers or is it mouskateers? :biggrin:

I sure hope they start getting some talent soon. This is getting very dull if not painful to the ears.

HELP!!!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
auditions have always shown more bad and mediocre than the good

but then you don't normally like the American Idols so *shrugs* that's why there are different countries and competitions ;)

as for the auditions... as much as I can't stand the divas of New York, we had a better turn out of talent!

One more week of auditions... then Hell week! (which is what I live for anymore)

as for four judges, they did the same thing last year... and then went back to three for the live shows...