What thrills you? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What thrills you?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Emotion performed with technique and athletic artistry.

Ending Combo spins (Beilmann and scratch particularly), The landing of jumps (soft knee with a solid edge on a firm leg without a lot of lean), And footwork :love: (straight and circular, a point where the personality of the skater really comes through).

I love FS the way it is and only have issue with some of the "flamboyent / silly stuff" for the popularities sake. I would miss them but feel it was a fair trade if it meant (who knows for sure???) more were interested in the sport. Making more of a clarification between "ice follies and pro" verses competitive amateur (juvie to adult) would be acceptable to me. I like it but it maybe detracting and I personally don't feel it is necessary in Competitive Amateur even though I like it.

Last edited:

hyoo

Rinkside
What thrills me is difficult to define. However, some moments (within recent memory or youtube) that have thrilled me are:
1. 2000 Nationals: Sasha Cohen's Short Program: her freshness, beautifully pointed toes, lovely laybacks, and amazing spiral
2. 1998 Nationals: Michelle Kwan's Long Program: just her musicality and comforting consistency--there is no doubt that she will be perfect from the beginning
3. 1994 Olympics: G&G Long Program and Exhibition: tenderness, technical excellence, flowing edges
4. 2004 Marshalls: Sasha Cohen's Long Program: her perfect long prgram to the swan when she really became the swan
5. 1998 Olympics: Ilia Kulik Long Program: just his outstretched hand in the middle of the slow section moved me enough (not to mention his beautiful jumps and musicality)
6. 2006 Nationals: Sasha Cohen's Long Program: the RJ program just did it for me... her spirals, spins, choreography
7. 2002 Olympics: Alexei Yagudin Short and Long Program: the power, the energy, the emotion!

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I am thrilled by little moves in the program that are completely different and unlike anything I've ever seen before.

The Biellmann USED to thrill me (I remember when Denise B. herself unleashed it in her SP at the 80 Olys and my jaw just HIT THE GROUND) but now it's just become too much of a cliche.