What was the first figure skating program you watched ever? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What was the first figure skating program you watched ever?

Jules99b

Rinkside
Even though I tuned in to watch Meryl and Charlie win gold, the first figure skating program that I remember watching was Virtue and Moir's 2014 short dance during the team event. For some reason I distinctly remember the NBC broadcast zooming in on Tessa's ankle to display her failed twizzle, I think as a way to show that Meryl and Charlie were so much more consistent. But I absolutely loved that program, and I remember thinking I wanted Virtue and Moir to place just for that program.

pohatta

On the Ice
One of my earliest memories is Trixi Schuba skating on tv and the commentator being rude to her. "She skates like a sawbuck but she's going to win because she got so many points from figures."

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Like many others have mentioned, I'm not sure what the first program that I *watched* was, but the first program that I *remember* is Elizabeth Manley's FS at the 1988 Olympics. I was a little kid at the time, but I have the vaguest memory of the "Canadian girl in pink" winning a medal. My whole family was very excited about it! :)

arewhyaen

On the Ice
I remember I was super little and crying because my brother's got to play outside but I couldn't for some reason. So to make me feel better, my grandma turned on the TV. And I remember seeing Michelle Kwan in her blue salome costume from 1996. I believe it was worlds, and from that point on, I was hooked.

Maagii

Rinkside
It was after I (kind of) got into figute skating. And I binge watched so many programs that I dont remember any of them now. However, the first male skater that really left huge impression on me was Alexei Yagudin. His Winter program. I kept hearing about him while watching Plushenko. I am glad that I have decided to look him up hahha.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The first competitive skating I saw was the 1960 Olympics. It was Carol Heiss. I thought she was so wonderful, I bought a Scholastic book that was her biography, written for youngsters, two years before.
https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Skates-Story-Teen-age-Champion/dp/B000JCBPA8

However, I really fell in love with skating watching Belousova & Protopopov win pairs at the 1960 Olympics on a black and white TV. :love:

They were so graceful, so totally in tune with the music! I could not find a youtube of the whole performance, but here is part of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G42i0gufEs

catjohnsn2

Spectator
I watched a lot of skating during the mid to late 60's and remember the Protopopoffs very clearly. Peggy Fleming at the Olympics is maybe the first time I really took notice of what a "program" was.....as an young teen, I didn't realize that skaters did a prepared program until saw the Olympics. Of course I remember Dorothy Hamill....all this was on black and white TV!

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I think it was Torvill and Dean's Barnum and Bailey - recorded for me by my grandparents and watched 3 months after the competition, long before we ever owned a VCR. I certainly knew of them by the time of Bolero though again didn't get to watch that till the following summer when I watched it as often as I possibly could. I have been mesmerised by ice dance ever since.

princessalica

Final Flight
First time I really remember watching was '94 Olympics - so during the height of the Tonya/Nancy drama. I loved watching Oksana

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
Yuzuru Hanyu's parisienne walkways at the sochi olympics. It got me hook, line and sinker.

I'm sure i had watched other things in the past, but there is nothing i can remember with much clarity.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I believe it was the 1994 Olympics with Gordeeva and Grinkov. Absolutely loved their Gold Medal winning performances. Which turned to heartbreak a year later when Sergei unexpected died so young. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6jEMQ5fmRc

Edit: sorry didn't realize you said all category.

First lady's program was probably Tanya Harding's melt down short skate during the 1994 Olympics where she had to retie her laces.

First Men's program was definitely Yagudin's Winter. Still one of my favorite.

ID: That one's tricky. I still don't really watch it. I think the first one I actually watched was during the 2016 World Team Trophy. Since I was a captive audience (saw it live), I watched ID as well and realized how freakin' fast they were on the ice. I don't remember who I saw first, but I remember really appreciating Weaver and Poje.

Double edit: I feel like I must have seen Davis and White's 2014 Olympic ID programs. I remember the package about how they developed one of the lift and held it for 3 years so it would be for the Olympics. Yeah definitely Davis and White's LP.

skatergurl7

On the Ice
Earliest I remember watching was Sasha cohen’s SP in Torino! I stayed up late to watch live and was rooting for her to win. Definitely thought she had it in the bag after the short but was so sad when she fell twice in the long. My original and first favorite skater.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
My first memory (the one that has stuck with me) is watching Michelle Kwan in a light blue dress skating what I thought then was the bestest and greatest and perfectest thing ever at the 98 olympics... only to lose the gold to Tara a mere moments later. My heart got stuck in my throat. I couldn’t breathe. How could judges be SO cruel and unwise. And not just the figure skating ones... why wasn’t god doing anything? As the coldness of the black-and-white kitchen tiles seeped upward into my bare feet and soul, I decided I hated Tara and figure skating and those stupid judges in a way my 14 year old heart had never hated before.

And that was how I got into figure skating.

That program started and cemented my love for Michelle, still my favorite female figure skater. I have disliked (not hated since it's too strong of a word) Tara and Sarah Hughes (I think it was Sarah) who "stole" Michelle's rightful Olympic gold medals. Of course I didn't know anything about technical parts of skating, but in my opinion, her programs were pure perfection.