What was the first figure skating program you watched ever? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What was the first figure skating program you watched ever?

MintGreen

On the Ice
It can't be the first figure skating program I ever watched, but the one I remember clearly was ladies competition in 98 olympics. What a drama! All the top three finishers were crying hard at K&C, but all for different reasons.

Then fast forward four years, it was Salt Lake City olympics. I was captivated by Plushenko's Carmen and was immediately drawn into it. I have remained a figure skating fan since.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Dorothy Hamill 1976. I was 7 wanted her hair cut. She was on commercials for short and sassy shampoo.

My sister had her haircut. Now I didn't watch the Innsbruck Olympics (I have watched every Olympics since then) so the first figure skating would have to have been on ABC's Wide World of Sport, because frankly who else in the US was airing figure skating back then? I can tell you the first skater I DO remember watching. Heck I can even tell you the first element that really made me love figure skating: Toller Cranston's broken leg camel spin. I thought it was just the coolest thing. Everyone else seemed more than a bit stiff in comparison.

So you see SynchroSarah, in my heart I really am an honorary Canadian.

:hap57:

We won't talk about the first time I ever attempted to skate myself... To quote one of my favorite lines from a Christopher Durang play, "Repression is a gift from God and we must honor it as such." :drama:

chz

On the Ice
It was Yuna Kim's Bond 2010 Olympic. I stumbled upon the video in Youtube and that got me hooked with FS but the 2014 scandal has somehow watered down my respect over the sport. Ever since i knew how dirty politics is in FS, i cannot help but to be skeptical of any scores announcement.

Lipinski boy

Rinkside
This is a tough question to answer.
I started my life as a figure skater from READING about Tara Lipinski’s marvelous Olympic feat, no visuals needed.
I tuned into cable tv to watch my first actual program some time later that year in ‘98 when the season started again. I believe the first full program I watched was Michelle Kwan, though I’m not certain.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I had to watch a lot of gala exhibitions on telly as a kid (my mum was always a skating fan) and they bored me to death :). Then I discovered my own love for winter sports, saw a documentary about Toller Cranston and the rest is history. The first competition I've watched was Men's Short at the Innsbruck Olympics 1976. Graduation Ball! Even if there was no YouTube, I'd never forget the programme or the music :luv17:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Sasha Cohen 2002 nationals, I was 11 and it was life changing. I found my favorite sport that day.

starbella

Rinkside
Yuna kim les mis. Ive watched tat program at least 50 times, i only found out abt her last year so i often just look at her old archives to relive her glory:3

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
It was Yuna Kim's Bond 2010 Olympic. I stumbled upon the video in Youtube and that got me hooked with FS but the 2014 scandal has somehow watered down my respect over the sport. Ever since i knew how dirty politics is in FS, i cannot help but to be skeptical of any scores announcement.

That's really ironic because Adelina's underdog victory (which I sometimes feel I'm the only one here who actually believes she deserved it) pulled me back in to figure skating.

macy

Record Breaker
i'm sure it was something in 1998, probably Michelle or Tara. I started skating that year after watching a friend practice.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
There is no way I can remember the first program, as when I was less than 2 years old I asked for figure skates. My mum told me she can't find skates so small. My hazy memory is about Scot Hamilton at some important competition. I mostly remembered his name, not a program. As for programs, I don't know...I kind of remember Torvil/Dean's Bolero, Philipe Candeloro's D'artagnan, and Godfather, and Laurent Tobel's Pink Panther. I try to exclude you tube discoveries. The rest are lost in my hazy memory.

edenlover

On the Ice
Sjoukje Dijkstra 1964 Olympics. It was televised in black and white. My mom thought she was lovely!

lappo

Final Flight
The first one I clearly remember is Sasha Cohen's Romeo and Juliet at the 2006 Olympics (home Olympics for me!). I remember I was gutted by the final results and I even discussed them with my then gymnastic teacher at school... I also remember watching an ice show from Bolzano (Bozen) with my grandmother, where many international skater showed up (I remember Plushenko was there almost every year); pity it was aired very late, so I guess it didn't have much audience even back in the days.

LaArdilla

Medalist
Definitely 1994 Olympics, but I can’t for the life of me remember which program it was, as I was only 6.

RobinA

On the Ice
Peggy Fleming's Olympic Gold Medal in Grenoble in 1968. I don't even remember who else skated. Just remember that green dress and how graceful she was. Didn't know anything about figure skating.

For me it was either this or her Nationals performance leading up to that. Since I was watching that I probably saw other performances, but I don't remember them. I kind of remember a German lady around that time. I want to say Annette Poetsch, but she may have been a bit later. Wide World of Sports didn't show as many skating programs as you can see (well, COULD see) now.

RobinA

On the Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzHeC-FIqKg&t=1m14s :)

The first skating show I ever saw was the Ice Capades somewhere around 1950. The featured star was so-o-o pretty.

It didn't know who she was, but in retrospect it must have been Barabara Ann Scott.

The first live skating I ever saw, actually the first show of anything I ever saw was the 1965 Ice Follies at the Philadelphia Palestra or the Civic Center. My parents took me to see them for my 7th birthday because I had been going on about figure skating. I was literally born a figure skating fan, loving it before I ever saw it. I fell in love with white Ladies figure skates, I thought they were so beautiful. The show was great and I still have the program. It was all very ballroomy or comedy back then, with smoke on the ice and ladies in beautiful dresses. I used to stare at my program for hours reliving the whole thing. This is why I have such a hard time pulling myself away from it now, when, to be honest, I'm not even sure I like it that much anymore with the emphasis on completing rotations and doing things that are hard rather than what makes a spectacular program.

My first watched programs:
Ladies: Evgenia Medvedeva 2017 WC FS
Men: Nathan Chen 2017 US Nats FS
I was blown away by both of them. They were and still are phenomenal.

Pepipanda

Rinkside
I don't know what my first program I watched as a child was, but I know I must have watched some since my mom was a fan back then, but we didn't keep watching skating, so I don't remember any from childhood. The first program I saw as an adult was Yuzuru Hanyu's 2017 WC Hope and Legacy. The person who showed it to me knew that Joe Hisaishi was my favorite composer, so it was a great pick!

Jeonghui Han

Rinkside
Yuna Kim's "Danse Macabre" in 2008 or 2009. I don't know how many times I've watched this program. I love her "Les Misérables - 2013 World" too but the first program was danse macabre :)