What's up with Morgan Matthews? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What's up with Morgan Matthews?

sashaisgreat

Rinkside
The USFS has the right to refuse release if the athlete has met any of these conditions in the past 4 years (2003-2004 to 2006-2007):

1. Received Envelope A funding. M/Z were in the "A" Envelope for the 2004-2005 season.

2. Medaled at an ISU Championship (Worlds, Jr Worlds, 4CC). M/Z won bronze at 2004 JW, gold at 2005 JW, and silver at 2006 4CC.

3. Medaled at any Junior or Senior GP event. M/Z won a bronze and a gold at the 2003 JGP, two golds at the 2004 JGP, bronze at the 2003 JGPF and gold at the 2004 JGPF.

Morgan Matthews met all the criteria for release refusal.

Matthews and Zavozin were never in team A. They should have been but were not.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Matthews and Zavozin were never in team A. They should have been but were not.
To clarify: They were not in the A envelope because they did not meet the USFS' published criteria for Team A at the time. One of the criteria for A used to be medalling at Junior Worlds, but that was changed a few years back (medalling at Jr. Worlds now is a Team B criterion).

ETA: 2003-04 was the last season U.S. skaters could qualify for Team A by medalling at either the JGP Final or Junior Worlds.

Last edited:

sashaisgreat

Rinkside
To clarify: They were not in the A envelope because they did not meet the USFS' published criteria for Team A at the time. One of the criteria for A used to be medalling at Junior Worlds, but that was changed a few years back (medalling at Jr. Worlds now is a Team B criterion).

ETA: 2003-04 was the last season U.S. skaters could qualify for Team A by medalling at either the JGP Final or Junior Worlds.

When I said they should have been on team A, that was an opinion not a fact.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They medalled (bronze) at the JGPF 2003.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
The envelope criteria was revised for the 2003-04 season -- sorry for not being clearer. I found this archived information:

<< 2004-2005 U.S. Team Envelope Criteria [based on results in the 2003-04 season]

To qualify for the "A" funding envelope, a skater must fulfill at least one of the following criteria:
1) Win 2004 Nationals (Senior)
2) Place in top 10 at 2004 Worlds
3) Place in top 3 at 2004 Four Continents
4) Place in top 3 at Senior GP Final (Dec. 2003)

To qualify for the "B" funding envelope, a skater must fulfill at least one of the following criteria:
1) Place 2-4 at 2004 Nationals (Senior)
2) Qualify for GP Final (Dec. 2003)
3) Place top 3 at JGP Final (Dec. 2003)
4) Place top 3 at 2004 Junior Worlds
5) Win 2004 Nationals (Junior) >>

Last edited:
When I said they should have been on team A, that was an opinion not a fact.
They got a lot of forum hype but when I saw them LIVE, I was not impressed. He tends to concentrate on the Tech and does not show much in the Rapport with Matthews. I think their split was the right thing to do and hopefully, each one gets another partner soon.

I miss Steigler and that other Russian guy. They had it all, for me.

Joe

Joe

Dyan

On the Ice
Joesitz, ITA about missing Steigler & Magerovskiy; I know that the skaters have to do what's right for them and Sergei was unhappy because he missed his wife but professionally I will always feel that he gave up too soon. Yes the field in the U.S. is deep but I feel that S&M had the talent to be able to improve and fight for a spot on the world team.

I do miss Morgan's skating and hope that she doesn't end up in the same situation as Danil Barantsev; waiting years before she is able to compete internationally.