What's your Russian women dream team for 2022? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What's your Russian women dream team for 2022?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Right now, without knowing what new Ultra-C is being added, it's hard to pick a 'dream team'. If Koz regains her 3axel and adds a quad sal, then she absolutely should be on the Oly Team. Same could be said about Usacheva, since she really has no major weaknesses. And if Maiia gets a 3axel and decent programs she would be right up there too. But right now I'm sticking with Valieva, Trusova and Koz.
I'll be happy with any team as long as Tuk is on it. She has missed the Olympics twice and if I were on the committee, I'd send her if she's in the top 5 at Nationals.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'll be happy with any team as long as Tuk is on it. She has missed the Olympics twice and if I were on the committee, I'd send her if she's in the top 5 at Nationals.

She didn't miss the last 2 Olympics by the skin of her teeth or something, she under-performed those seasons including at Nationals. Unless she has some insane level of improvement and some other girls have serious problems, I don't think she goes near the Olympics this next year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She didn't miss the last 2 Olympics by the skin of her teeth or something, she under-performed those seasons including at Nationals. Unless she has some insane level of improvement and some other girls have serious problems, I don't think she goes near the Olympics this next year.
Didn't she just win the Silver at Worlds??? How could she not be "Near" making the team?

spicymacaron

On the Ice
Didn't she just win the Silver at Worlds??? How could she not be "Near" making the team?
Because worlds doesn't matter at all for the Olympic team. Only Russian nationals, and the last time Liza skated well at the nationals was in 2015. It's not one of her stronger competitions.

Amei

Record Breaker

Look at domestic results because she has to win/place really well there to get to Europeans/Olympics Worlds; she wasn't near the Worlds team if we take age eligibility out of the equation at both Nationals and the Cup Final she placed below Valieva, Usacheva and Khromykh; those 3 skaters are age-eligible next season. So based on the season's results, from the looks of it to me - she's the 6th skater in line, I don't think that would even put her on the Olympic team as a reserve. And honestly my opinion of the Cup final and the scoring that occurred, the Fed was trying to hold up Kostornaia; I'm not sold that Tuktamysheva would have been sent to Worlds if Kostornaia had been clean at the Cup Final even without the triple axel.

Major kudos to her for capitalizing on her opportunity to go, but the girls who beat her domestically last year won't be hindered by the roadblock of age ineligibility this season.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Look at domestic results because she has to win/place really well there to get to Europeans/Olympics Worlds; she wasn't near the Worlds team if we take age eligibility out of the equation at both Nationals and the Cup Final she placed below Valieva, Usacheva and Khromykh; those 3 skaters are age-eligible next season. So based on the season's results, from the looks of it to me - she's the 6th skater in line, I don't think that would even put her on the Olympic team as a reserve. And honestly my opinion of the Cup final and the scoring that occurred, the Fed was trying to hold up Kostornaia; I'm not sold that Tuktamysheva would have been sent to Worlds if Kostornaia had been clean at the Cup Final even without the triple axel.

Major kudos to her for capitalizing on her opportunity to go, but the girls who beat her domestically last year won't be hindered by the roadblock of age ineligibility this season.
Now I get it. Well, I still hope she skates well at Nationals

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It is sad for her, but seriously she missed her two opportunities because there were girls who were better and deserved it more based on their performances those seasons. If she will earn her spot in the olympic team because of her performance during the upcoming season, than good for her, it will be deserved. But if there will be ladies with better results, then those with better results should be sent.

Again, the sad thing is that a skater like Liza would surely get the olympic spot in any other country (maybe in Japan she would have to fight for it a little, but with high probability of success), but in Russia a skater this strong still has very difficult way before her to get into the team.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Hey there.
I don't post often, I stayed out of the forum for Worlds 'cause these left me exhausted, I couldn't have guessed two years ago that being a figure skating fan was so emotionally intense !! Kudos to all the longtime aficionados, I don't know how you manage x')
Thanks @Idiote ! We don't know that either...it's just a hell of a lot of adrenaline, love and various other hormones surging through our bodies. That combined with just the sometimes incredibly perfect banter on the forum keeps us watching during work, into the early hours or setting or alarms at stupid o'clock just to be part of it.
I sometimes wish there was a two week break between every event as I find it hard to keep up with the 'real chores' in life.

Then again, I wouldn't have it any other way!!! :laugh: :love2::cheer:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm excited to see Sinitsyna coming back fighting for a spot. Happy if she makes the team. Which makes it tough to choose the other two. As for now I go with Shcherbakova and Trusova.

But we can change our minds right up until the end(after Euros), right? In new polls.... :biggrin:

Still interesting to see how these early dreams will mirror the reality :)

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Dream team would be Liza, Sonia, and Stasya, but I would also be happy with the more realistic option of Liza, Sasha, and Anna. :biggrin:

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
She only went to Worlds because Kamila, Daria, and Maiia were all age ineligible. If there were no age restrictions, they would have sent Anna, Kamila, and Sasha (according to Nationals). In addition, she benefited from a not full strength Sasha, Anna, and Aliona.

She definitely rose to the occasion, but Aliona's technical content is being restored now, Anna is back to full strength training (and other than the toe injury is healthier), Sasha is healthy again and looks in even better condition, and Kamila, Daria, Maiia, (all of whom outscored her at RusNats and the CupFinal) and Kseniia are all age eligible now. Other than Daria, all have a higher tech content then her. Including Daria - with the possible exception of Maiia and maybe Kseniia - all have better PCS than her. I

In fact, even as it happened, the RusFed WANTED an injured and ill Aliona to go to World's instead and gave her (Aliona) every chance of going. If Aliona had placed above at the CupFinal (or potentially even close), Liza wouldn't have gone at all.

Last edited:

soccerjc77

On the Ice
I vote for : Alexandra Trusova, Kamila Valieva and Anna Shcherbakova for the Olympic team.

But, if Evgenia Medvedeva want to compete again for Beijing I would put Evgenia instead of Anna.

I hope that Evgenia change idea and try to qualify for Beijing but now that she is with Eteri. I don't think that Eteri will let Evgenia try to qualify for the Olympic. Eteri seem to have convince Evgenia to not try to comeback and this make me sad for her because I believe that Evgenia could be the 3rd spot if she try to make a comeback. But, I don't think that Eteri will let Evgenia trying to qualify for the Olympic.

Life is cruel :( If Evgenia was with Brian Orser she would have try to qualify for the Olympic.

Dawn825

Medalist
I was the biggest Evgenia fan but I'm sure she's having way more fun doing shows with Enbert than she would be killing herself in training trying to make the Russian team. Maybe she would have been ok training with Brian across the world but I'm glad shes not pitting herself against Kamila every day trying to be 15 again. I do miss her though and wish her competitive career hadnt ended the way it did - she will always be my sentimental favorite and one of the greatest performers the discipline has ever seen in my opinion.

Amei

Record Breaker
I hope that Evgenia change idea and try to qualify for Beijing but now that she is with Eteri. I don't think that Eteri will let Evgenia try to qualify for the Olympic. Eteri seem to have convince Evgenia to not try to comeback and this make me sad for her because I believe that Evgenia could be the 3rd spot if she try to make a comeback. But, I don't think that Eteri will let Evgenia trying to qualify for the Olympic.

Life is cruel :( If Evgenia was with Brian Orser she would have try to qualify for the Olympic.

Who knows if she was with Orser if things would be different, she was injured before she went back to Eteri, an injury which required surgery to fix. Unless something serious happened I doubt she had really any shot of the Olympic team considering where she was at with Orser, struggling with consistency and even her triples vs. the top Russian ladies who are rattling off triple axels and multiple quads, and that was before she was off for more than a year from competitive skating.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As of now:

Scherbackova
Valieva
Tuktamysheva

Although if Russia (or ROC or OAR or whatever) wants a sweep, Trusova-back-to-Eteri might be a better bet than Tuktamysheva (Tukt’s earned World silver, but Trusova also very much underperformed especially the SP).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Because worlds doesn't matter at all for the Olympic team. Only Russian nationals, and the last time Liza skated well at the nationals was in 2015. It's not one of her stronger competitions.
She will be mainly competing against the same skaters she competed against at Worlds, plus Valieva. ( Do any other Russian skaters have a 3A? Has Aliona gotten hers back?) But that will still make it tough for Liza. She would need others to falter, like Trusova did at Worlds. She would also have to land her 3As in the short and long programs. But stranger things have happened in the skating world.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
Kamila ,Sasha and Anna. Wouldn't mind Kamila ,Sasha Alionya or
Kamila ,Anna, Alionya.
As much as I love Daria I can't see her making the team. Or Lisa although never rule Lisa out. Maiia.. even with quads can't see it tbh.
Stranger things have happened. My hope is for a Russian Sweep. 🙏