In no particular order :

1)Chen SP

2)Shibs FD

3)B/S FD

4)S/B FD

5)The Japanese fans as usual :thumbsup:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Carolina's SP (and actually her FS is really growing on me too now whereas i didn't like it in previous events)
Gilles/Poirier SD
Nathan Chen SP (same i didn't like it much in previous events but really digged it here)
Valeriia Mikhailova's presence in general. She was just lovely
... maybe Kaori Sakamoto's SP?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
In no particular order :

1)Chen SP

2)Shibs FD

3)B/S FD

4)S/B FD

5)The Japanese fans as usual :thumbsup:

The Japanese Fans should be declared an international treasure. Is there a skating equivalent to a World Heritage Site for skating fans? There should be.

GGFan

Record Breaker
In no particular order:

1) Caro's programs
2) Nathan's programs
3) Stolbova's sass and presence
4) Japanese ladies edges and ice coverage
5) Misha's spellbinding skating

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Some highlights not related to the actual competition:

--Nathan Chen's face as Raf hugs him into near oblivion.
--Best Dressed: Piper's FD dress which is so striking and unusual for ID and Stepanova's FD dress, which has some of the most beautiful sequinwork I've seen (both almost made up for a season of men attending Samba Wakes).
--Live video streams that actually aren't the size of airmail stamps and still look good when you max them. Now if they only get that sound synced properly... (Hey--a boy can dream!).
--A fully working board after the first day (I'm impressed at how quickly that issue was put to bed. kudos!).
--Kudos too to everyone who posts youtube links mere nanoseconds after the competitions end. How else could we get all nitpicky if we couldn't watch the programs again and again and again?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1) Nathan's programs and his getting crushed by Raf
2) Deniss V SP
3) Anastasia Galustyan FS
4) Shibs SD
5) Wakaba SP

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
In no order:

- Nathan Chen SP
- Evgenia Medvedeva FS
- Gilles/Poirier FD
- Parsons FD

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Some great off-ice moments:
http://skatingdorks.tumblr.com/post/166663687071/figureskating-in-color-iguana012-yuzuru-hanyu -Yuzu hugs his most persistent and littlest fan
http://swizzlesandtwizzles.tumblr.com/post/166651541768/eggplantgifsnathan-chen-yuzuru-hanyu-at-the Yuzu and Nathan's comments to each other at the press conference

And in skating: Carolina Kostner's timeless strength. I don't always agree with her placements, but this time...WOW!
Wakaba Higuchi and Kaori Sakamoto. So young, so promising.
Evgenia...I like her even more when she shows she's human.

Misha Ge, under appreciated by the judges, but not by us fans!
Yuzu, grit and determination, 4Lz, whoooohooo!
Nathan, -a scary, scary talent.

--I went over the limit.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen's SP. I don't particularly like his skating, but the program itself, that was interesting (in contract, really don't care for the FS, but maybe it's one of those programs I need to see a dozen times to start appreciating).
SEIMEI. I adore the movies, I understand the special moves and nuances in the program, so maybe that makes me a bit biased. I'd much rather have seen a new program, but, if you're gonna repeat, SEIMEI is the way to go. (I never was a fan of H&L because of the IMHO awkward music edits, and since music is a driving force in my life, I cannot just switch it off and go, okay, fine, it was perfect).
Wakaba Higuchi, both her SP and FD are dreams. Definitely my favorite Ladies skater at Rostelecom.
Kostner's FS. Yum.
Gilles/Poirier, both programs but especially the SD.
and Marchei/Hotarek SP.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Evgenia - FS
Yuzuru - FS
Evgenia - SP
Dmitrii - SP
Misha Ge - SP
Moris - FS
S/K - SP
S/K - FS

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I found myself looking back over the event this morning and returning most to the skaters who actually looked like they enjoyed their skating and being out there performing in the event.

Honestly, I don't think Mariah Bell gets enough credit for how she can go out there and project enjoyment in what she is doing. I like watching her and am not holding my breath wondering if she is going to fall or UR -- not that she may not do those things, but she looks like she WANTS to skate regardless. Do any other US ladies look like they're having that much fun? Even Ashley, who is a wonderful performer -- still looks vested in the outcome as much as the skating (understandably so). But I will watch Mariah any time, regardless of her placement or her potential (or not) to medal -- because she looks like she LIKES what she's doing.

So, with that long-winded explanation, my top five includes MARIAH BELL, SHIBS, MEDVEDEVA, RADIONOVA (who has heart like that young woman?), and NATHAN CHEN (both programs really, but especially the short). HONORABLE MENTION to ABBA girl VALERIIA MIKHAILOVA.

Surprised to find Caro not making my personal list -- of course she is lovely and elegant but for whatever reasons, probably just my subjective mood, I wasn't wowed. I LOVED her programs last year.