Which ladies could land a 3A? | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Which ladies could land a 3A?

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This exactly. If Liza really wanted I'm sure she could bring the 3Lz-3T back to competition - even if she can't rotate the 3T right now (which we don't know), she has the technique and the power for it. But even for the most amazing jumpers like her, it takes a lot of energy during practice and the programs. Why spend so much practice time on a trick that doesn't really give her an advantage? If she wants to get it back, she will, but if she doesn't want to, she really doesn't need it.
I don't quite agree. If Mao comes back in top form Elizaveta needs another big combo for the long program. It could be a half loop - 3S combo or something like 2A-3T and then she needs the 3Lz-3T. And I don't think that 3A-2T is a good idea point wise.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I don't quite agree. If Mao comes back in top form Elizaveta needs another big combo for the long program. It could be a half loop - 3S combo or something like 2A-3T and then she needs the 3Lz-3T. And I don't think that 3A-2T is a good idea point wise.

Well I agree the 3A-2T isn't a good idea point-wise, but it seems to be what she wants to go for. I thought she would keep the 3T-3T, and if she can do it in the 2nd half, it's not even a point less than a 3Lz-3T in the first half. While she and Mao will be close, I don't think less than a point more is worth the higher risk of mistakes.

What I didn't think about though until now is that with the 3T-3T, Liza couldn't repeat the 3Lz (if she does 2 3As). Given that the 3Lz is pretty much her money jump, that's a surprising thought. I probably just have zero idea what her layout will be like anyway :)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Well I agree the 3A-2T isn't a good idea point-wise, but it seems to be what she wants to go for. I thought she would keep the 3T-3T, and if she can do it in the 2nd half, it's not even a point less than a 3Lz-3T in the first half. While she and Mao will be close, I don't think less than a point more is worth the higher risk of mistakes.

What I didn't think about though until now is that with the 3T-3T, Liza couldn't repeat the 3Lz (if she does 2 3As). Given that the 3Lz is pretty much her money jump, that's a surprising thought. I probably just have zero idea what her layout will be like anyway :)
So she will probably do the following combos in the free:
- 3A-2T
- 3Lz-2T-2L
- 3T-3T
I changed my mind, this would be very good actually. Really no need to change the 3T-3T.

adelia

Record Breaker
Yep I agree. Also I remember Mishin posting a video a couple months ago of Liza doing a 3Lz-3T, both with tano. Looked fine in practice but she doesn't bring it to competition. There's been a very small sample size for her success of 3A and attempting likely chips away at her energy and stamina in her program. It is already incredible that she can 4 triples in the short with the combo in the second half, I think she should be fine without the 3Lz in combo.
Yes, she does it in practice. But it's just not worth attempting it in competition if she intends to include a 3A as well. As per an interview she gave last week, Liza estimates that she will start including a 3A in her program(s) either at JO or Coupe de Nice.

IMO it is very unlikely that she will begin the season with two 3As in the LP, they will probably build up to that as the season progresses. Mishin likes to make changes to his skaters' jump layouts throughout the season.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
IMO it is very unlikely that she will begin the season with two 3As in the LP, they will probably build up to that as the season progresses. Mishin likes to make changes to his skaters' jump layouts throughout the season.

I think her layout by the end of the season will be determined by how well Mao is skating. I don't think she wants to take any more risk than necessary. If Mao is doing 7 or 8 ratified triples in the LP then I think Liza will have to do two 3A's in the LP but if Mao is having trouble with a few of her jumps and not getting the 3/3 around during the season, Liza will probably skate a less ambitious LP.

moriel

Record Breaker
I think her layout by the end of the season will be determined by how well Mao is skating. I don't think she wants to take any more risk than necessary. If Mao is doing 7 or 8 ratified triples in the LP then I think Liza will have to do two 3A's in the LP but if Mao is having trouble with a few of her jumps and not getting the 3/3 around during the season, Liza will probably skate a less ambitious LP.

I don't think so. What she said in many interviews and what Mishin said seem to point that she will just do the hardest she can do while keeping consistent. Look at Plushy.
Just look at her and Mishing in K&C at Worlds - they seem a little bit disappointed for not breaking the WR or something like that ;)

adelia

Record Breaker
No. If Mishin thinks that there is a good chance Liza can land 2 3As in her LP, he will put 2 3As in her LP, regardless of what Mao does or does not do.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe she feels like she doesn't need it score-wise?
I am sure she would do it if she was really confident she could do it and if she really needed it and it was worth it (ie the risk). Likewise I am sure we would see two triple lutzes in the lp for Mao if she were better at the edge. Right now can we even say Liza has a 3A or a consistent one - probably not as she has not even tried it competitively yet this season I believe. In some ways I think the she give the ladies a bonus if they can do the triple toe, salchow, loop, flip and lutz in the long program as so many ladies leave certain jumps out.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
No. If Mishin thinks that there is a good chance Liza can land 2 3As in her LP, he will put 2 3As in her LP, regardless of what Mao does or does not do.

Well, what they said last season was that she would do the 3A in the SP regardless of what the others have planned. But the 3A in the SP is not risky because, as long as you can rotate it (as Liza can), you aren't going to be hurt much with a fall compared to a program with a clean 2A. In the LP, it requires more strategy because the 3A expends a lot of energy when you have 7 jumping passes. In addition, the 3A displaces a jumping pass that could be done late in the program to earn a bonus. I believe that Mishin's plan is to position Liza for the best chance of winning possible, which is what every coach does (except Tom Z with Mirai). Part of that plan is to see the scoring potential of the competitors.

adelia

Record Breaker
Well, what they said last season was that she would do the 3A in the SP regardless of what the others have planned. But the 3A in the SP is not risky because, as long as you can rotate it (as Liza can), you aren't going to be hurt much with a fall compared to a program with a clean 2A. In the LP, it requires more strategy because the 3A expends a lot of energy when you have 7 jumping passes. In addition, the 3A displaces a jumping pass that could be done late in the program to earn a bonus. I believe that Mishin's plan is to position Liza for the best chance of winning possible, which is what every coach does (except Tom Z with Mirai). Part of that plan is to see the scoring potential of the competitors.
Your statement was: "I think her layout by the end of the season will be determined by how well Mao is skating. I don't think she wants to take any more risk than necessary."

Liza's layout will be determined by and large by what Mishin thinks she is capable of achieving with a good amount of certainty. How well Mao is skating may be a factor but it will not be the factor like you suggested in that statement. Secondly, if she can skate a layout with 2 3As cleanish in practice, let's say 4 out of 5 times, then he will send her out with that layout, regardless of how well Mao does. What they are aiming to do is not just to win but to push technical boundaries. Of course that comes with a certain amount of risk but if she is landing the jumps confidently in practice, they will give it a shot in competition.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
very sad she fell at JO but Im sure it motivates her even more!