Which recycled program would you like to see again at the Olympic games ? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Which recycled program would you like to see again at the Olympic games ?

Amei

Record Breaker
Provided he makes it to the Olympics, I'd like to see Paniot's Elvis program again. That was so much fun to watch, and he brought personality to it. It had the added benefit of being a really nice surprise from a skater I had not followed closely. I bet it woud be a hit in China.

Someone on Team USA is going to be odd man out - and that's assuming USA earns three spots at the upcoming Worlds.

I think it's been confirmed that Paniot is not going to be eligible to go to the Olympics next year due to the citizenship requirements + the release from the Ukrainian Fed. I would love to see him keep that program next season that program screams for being done with an audience, it would be a million times better with that crowd energy (even though he was amazing this year and under-scored IMO). We've seen several Elvis programs since lyrics were allowed and of the ones I've seen, I think Paniot is the first person to really sell that Elvis attitude/swagger.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
{sigh} And yet another thread devolves into let's find an excuse to bash Hanyu...

Dick Button himself has pointed out that he repeated 3 or 4 times and he's not the only one of the legends who recycled and improved as he went along. Yuzu explained very clearly why he brought Seimei and Chopin back that last time for one whole competition - 4CC - last year. Despite having a rougher year through covid that most, he brought new ones this year and was promptly criticised for them as well despite them having their pancake outing at Nationals and winning, and has talked about what he wants to do with H&E so it looks good for the Olympic one. It's also been reported what he is looking for in an SP.

And - to be blunt - plenty of other skaters throughout the years have recycled everything but the music and costumes and facial expressions and called it a new one. Multiple times. At least he's honest.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
{sigh} And yet another thread devolves into let's find an excuse to bash Hanyu...

Dick Button himself has pointed out that he repeated 3 or 4 times and he's not the only one of the legends who recycled and improved as he went along. Yuzu explained very clearly why he brought them back for one whole competition - 4CC - last year. Despite having a rougher year through covid that most, he brought new ones this year (and was promptly criticised for them as well despite them having their pancake outing at Nationals and winning) and has talked about what he wants to do with H&E so it looks good for the Olympic one. It's also been reported why he is looking for in an SP.

And - to be blunt - plenty of other skaters throughout the years have recycled everything but the music and costumes and call it a new one. At least he's honest.

Hanyu over-uses way too many programs, that's not bashing its a valid criticism its not like a 1 year circumstance of re-using programs.

Hanyu's re-used programs since the 2012-2013 season:

Short Programs - across 9 seasons he's had 5 Short programs
  • Parisienne Walkways, was used for 2 back-to-back seasons
  • Chopin Ballade No. 1 was used for 3 full seasons, including 2 back-to-back years, plus part of another season
  • Otoñal was used for 1 full season and part of another
Free Skates - across 9 seasons he's had 7 Free skate programs
  • Seimei has been used for 2 full seasons (including at the last Olympics) and part of another season
  • Origin was used for 1 full season and part of another

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hanyu over-uses way too many programs, that's not bashing its a valid criticism its not like a 1 year circumstance of re-using programs.

Hanyu's re-used programs since the 2012-2013 season:

Short Programs - across 9 seasons he's had 5 Short programs
  • Parisienne Walkways, was used for 2 back-to-back seasons
  • Chopin Ballade No. 1 was used for 3 full seasons, including 2 back-to-back years, plus part of another season
  • Otoñal was used for 1 full season and part of another
Free Skates - across 9 seasons he's had 7 Free skate programs
  • Seimei has been used for 2 full seasons (including at the last Olympics) and part of another season
  • Origin was used for 1 full season and part of another
And more people worldwide would watch him do that - and get more and deeper depth and variety of interpretation and skill time after time out of every single performance - than watch 99.9999% of current figure skating, so give it a rest. It's not against the rules, or wrong any more than Gould revisiting Bach multiple times or Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma again and again (and yes, I have multiple copies of both, because each performance is worth it).

I am not saying he doesn't repeat, he's a perfectionist. I am saying - as Button did - that other people did it without the endless carping. The thread was supposed to be about what people would like to see again, not another tall poppy free-for-all excuse to find something to bash one skater.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
First massively underotated triple jumps. Just as the first double Axel.
Was utterly underwhelmed when the video came up.
Question: this was the first triple ever in competition and you talk about under rotation? Of course you're underwhelmed when you look it up and you want to challenge by today's standards. But, you wouldn't have been if you had been a viewer then. It was revolution! No skater had ever done a triple then. To me Dick Button's achievements were phenomenal.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
And more people worldwide would watch him do that - and get more and deeper depth and variety of interpretation and skill time after time out of every single performance - than watch 99.9999% of current figure skating, so give it a rest. It's not against the rules, or wrong any more than Gould revisiting Bach multiple times or Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma again and again (and yes, I have multiple copies of both, because each performance is worth it).

I am not saying he doesn't repeat, he's a perfectionist. I am saying - as Button did - that other people did it without the endless carping. The thread was supposed to be about what people would like to see again, not another tall poppy free-for-all excuse to find something to bash one skater.
I don't really see why you took offense to opinions that they'd not like to watch two programs that he's already done in multiple seasons now. I don't see how it was constructive to call it carping, or classifying it all as tall-poppy syndrome (I can assure you that doesn't really apply from me for skating of all trivial things), or bashing, or saying a lot of people do the same programs with just different music (I fail to see how that is respectful in a post that demands misplaced respect). I will not treat Hanyu as the God that he isn't; if someone else wants to, it's their choice, not something they can impose.

Anyway, since I brought it up first, I just don't want to see his Ballade again. The person I responded to didn't seem to know it's been repeated many times. Hopefully, the new SP to piano music is fresh and new, not a rehash of it either. As you said, some simply replace the music, so would hate to see it happening there.

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Seimei SP, Chopin FS.

Utilize previously-unused parts of the music. Chopin Ballade 1 in G Minor is 9 minutes long, "fresh" cuts may be possible. :p
That would be a whopping surprise for the whole world :ROFLMAO:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen - Nemesis
Papadakis/Cizeron - To Build A Home
Hubbell/Donohue - Hallelujah
Chock/Bates - Elvis
Yaroslav Paniot - Elvis
Vincent Zhou - Vincent, Starry Starry Night
Cain-Gribble/Leduc - The Great Gatsby
Calalang/Johnson - You Are the Reason
Sui/Han - Rain, In Your Black Eyes
Mishina/Galliamov - Queen FS
Tarasova/Morozov - Bolero
Rika Kihira - A Beautiful Storm
Peng/Jin - Allegria
Gilles/Poirier - Vincent
Fear/Gibson - Disco or Blues Brothers
Mariah Bell - Hallelujah
Amber Glenn - Rain, In Your Black Eyes

This was a fun (and popular!) idea for a thread, @soccerjc77 :dance3:

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's been confirmed that Paniot is not going to be eligible to go to the Olympics next year due to the citizenship requirements + the release from the Ukrainian Fed. I would love to see him keep that program next season that program screams for being done with an audience, it would be a million times better with that crowd energy (even though he was amazing this year and under-scored IMO). We've seen several Elvis programs since lyrics were allowed and of the ones I've seen, I think Paniot is the first person to really sell that Elvis attitude/swagger.

I'm not sure this is correct... but I'm not sure it is wrong either. I know in the US Men's thread we saw an article wherein he and coach Todd Eldridge expected both a release from Ukraine and citizenship this year. If I remember correctly, this would not be an expedited citizenship where he would have to wait for adjudication, but rather a more routine one taking place over the normal course of time.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm not sure this is correct... but I'm not sure it is wrong either. I know in the US Men's thread we saw an article wherein he and coach Todd Eldridge expected both a release from Ukraine and citizenship this year. If I remember correctly, this would not be an expedited citizenship where he would have to wait for adjudication, but rather a more routine one taking place over the normal course of time.

I would love to be wrong, he definitely stole the show to me at Nationals. I was just posting what I had seen post-Nationals

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
I sure hope Jason Brown takes his Sinnerman and Kolyada his White Crow to Beijing.
Last year, I said I wanted to see the Snake program by Chock&Bates one more season and lo and behold, Covid happened (which made me thinking to be careful what I wish for)
I love Bradie Tennell's SP to Richter's Mechanisms & Chronos, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.
Satoko's Song for the Little Sparrow deserves another showing.
Unpopular opinion but I loved Shoma's Balada para un Loco. He'll have my vote if he decides to recycle it.
But as long as Trusova and Usachyova retire this year's Romeo&Juliet monstrosity, I'll be happy.

bouncy

☀️
On the Ice
Seimei SP, Chopin FS.

Utilize previously-unused parts of the music. Chopin Ballade 1 in G Minor is 9 minutes long, "fresh" cuts may be possible. :p
I appreciate this creative idea! :ROFLMAO:
But it only works for certain pieces. It would be a real headache for sound engineers to find fresher cuts if he was skating to Boléro.

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I also think the GOT FP (with the choreography refined maybe by Averbukh) for Trusova would be a good idea, with her improved performance skills over the past season.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ You just reminded me, I'd like Calalang/Johnson's GOT sp for Olympics, but it's not likely since they've used it 2 seasons straight