Who do you consider the best singles skaters right now? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who do you consider the best singles skaters right now?

Best active singles skater(Plushenko, Kwan, Slutskaya not really active anymore)

• Total voters

lyton

Rinkside
I voted kim.
After watching her short program in Skate Canada. I knew I've already been one of her fans.

dollee

Rinkside
I like artistic aspect of a figure skating. Art is to make a figure skating special. Lambiel and Yu-Na Kim is a very elegant and beautiful skater. And Yu-na is not only a artistic skater but also has a great technical ability. I voted my style.

Wrlmy

Medalist
Definitely Joubert for man, but i'm torn between Mao and Yu-na as for lady. I love Mao's triple axel, when properly executed, and her command of the ice. But I also love Yu-na's interpretation and flow. I also want to say Alissa, my personal favorite, but I know it's a stretch.

Audrey19

On the Ice
I like both Joubert and Lambiel very much:agree:
Considering the ladys I think Kostner is the best, even if she doesn´t always do the jumps her best, but she still has a lot of potential

Hiara80

On the Ice
i think Kostner, Mao Asada, Yu Na Kim
Lambiel Joubert Verner......i like very much also Lutai
and obviously Plushenko even if my favourite skater will be forever Yagudin

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Among the men, I'd have to go with Lambiel and Verner; I definitely think they're the most well-rounded. Joubert and Takahashi can JUMP, but not much seems to be going on between any of those jumps; Lambiel and Verner are much more interesting to watch overall. Buttle is too erratic IMO and has some jumping issues.

In a related category, I think the best skater ON THE GROUND is Emanuel Sandhu. Unfortunately, they make you do jumps and that's his Waterloo. If they divided Worlds into Jumping/Non Jumping Program categories, Emanuel would win hands down.

JonnyCoop, how could you say Takahashi has nothing going on between the jumps? :scratch: He is such a poetic skater, truly musical with perfect line (which is remarkable considering his body build), look at the footwork and spin speed in the last section of this LP. I will admit his sit spin hardly deserves the name sometimes (but sometimes it's better than others - eg better in end of this LP than beginning).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy2O8bhYPuk&mode=related&search=

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
In a related category, I think the best skater ON THE GROUND is Emanuel Sandhu. Unfortunately, they make you do jumps and that's his Waterloo. If they divided Worlds into Jumping/Non Jumping Program categories, Emanuel would win hands down.

Sandhu the best skater on the ground? Hell no. Have you seen him skate lately. Maybe 3 years ago, but today not even close. His spins have become slow and ugly, his footwork has become laboured, slow, and all on two feet, his overall skating has become slow and sloppy. The overall quality of his skating has completely gone down the tubes. He would be lucky to be in the top 10 at a World even in a competition of only non jumping categories today.

To give you an idea how Sandhu would stack up against some of the best in a competition today of only the non jumping categories, at Worlds in the short program Sandhu landed a triple flip-triple toe, a triple lutz, and only fell on the triple axel. Lambiel landed only a triple toe-double, much easier then the triple flip-triple toe Sandhu landed, a triple lutz as well, and also fell on his triple axel. Lambiel ended up almost 4 full points ahead of Sandhu.

Last edited: