Who Has the Best Triple Loops? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Who Has the Best Triple Loops?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well he's so far around on the jump that being slightly forward on the blade is hardly an issue. That landing is actually perfect with the music, the way the skate grips and gently rocks back, reflecting the energetic beat of the piano note. I wouldn't say anything is really wrong with his posture either, it's right in line with the blade. Jumping in the style of the music is something people should do more of.

style of the music : ? music is never slouched :)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
style of the music : ? music is never slouched :)

Music characterizes anything. A languid, laid-back music might indeed call to mind the picture of someone casually slouching and having a drink. Anyway there is no form break from Kulik there to begin with.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding springy and unexpected 3L, count Ilia Kulik in! :D

OMG that whole program is so gorgeous. Is Liebestraum considered a warhorse? If so, if it's been used a lot in figure skating programs, then this video is a sublime example of how skating to overused music doesn't detract in the least, if the skater makes the music his own. Ilia absolutely did. The way he used his speed to be a contrast with the dreamy music, but it's still absolutely perfect... Sigh.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i wouldn't think of rhapsody in blue as slouching ... the 3loop from Kulik in Liebestraum above is nicer.
Music characterizes anything. A languid, laid-back music might indeed call to mind the picture of someone casually slouching and having a drink. Anyway there is no form break from Kulik there to begin with.

gourry

Final Flight
OMG that whole program is so gorgeous. Is Liebestraum considered a warhorse? If so, if it's been used a lot in figure skating programs, then this video is a sublime example of how skating to overused music doesn't detract in the least, if the skater makes the music his own. Ilia absolutely did. The way he used his speed to be a contrast with the dreamy music, but it's still absolutely perfect... Sigh.

I know!:luv17: I absolutely love this program. This is the one that made me start watching men's skating. :) I love every seconds of this program but my favorite moment is when he does 2As. Just gorgeous.:love:

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
My favourites are from Caro:
https://youtu.be/JWHYELM1w6g?t=38
This one is from the 2013 Sp: that program was a masterpiece and the loop entry and landing were really on the music!
https://youtu.be/VjBtanpTYTY?t=73
This from her Worlds winning performance :love: that loop and the flip after that were just absolutely gorgeous! The entry was so beautiful, relaxed.. three crossovers so slow and yet very fast both on the entry and on the landing.. that final running edge is just :luv17:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
My favorite triple loop is from Midori Ito, done as the second jump in a combination in the 1988 Olympics SP (the required combination had to include a 2Lp) Midori did 2Lp3Lp :clap: The height and complete rotation of this 3LP, Phenomenal!!

https://youtu.be/Pg8tLyMqTpA?t=56

mrrice

Record Breaker
winks.... gabby doesn't really have one does she?

I just watched Gabby's 2016 LP from Nationals. She does two falling leafs at the end of her LP which I never thought was a big deal until just now. I never realized that switches her leaps from left to right which is extremely difficult.. Bravo!

Globetrotter

Medalist
Gosh, I hate answering this because I feel like I'm being biased, but the Americans have the best loops in my opinion (Any other country can take any other jump!! Haha, except maybe Gracie's lutz).

But in history, Carolina's was gorgeous (still not considering her in the current group until she starts competing. :shocked:). Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Tara Lipinski (she did two in a row, DUH)....ugh AMERICANS I know I know... :bang: haha!

Lol. The 3R seems like the weakest jump for many US ladies. Certainly it was the weakest jump for Kwan, Kerrigan, Yamaguchi. Cohen's was just ok. Mirai and Wagner have good 3Rs but they are not spectacularly so although Tara gets the honors as she did them 3R3R! Caro K's was the prettiest as she normally goes into them via the difficult running 3s, spring up (not spun round!) and she probably has the best flow and running edges out of jumps due to her having possibly the strongest SS among ladies of her era. Still, the most beautiful 3Rs got to be Maria Butyrskaya and Mao Asada for the effortlessness.

I can't think of many lovely 3Rs from male skaters except Ilia Kulik (love all his soft landings!) and Lambiel.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Lol. The 3R seems like the weakest jump for many US ladies. Certainly it was the weakest jump for Kwan, Kerrigan, Yamaguchi. Cohen's was just ok. Mirai and Wagner have good 3Rs but they are not spectacularly so although Tara gets the honors as she did them 3R3R! Caro K's was the prettiest as she normally goes into them via the difficult running 3s, spring up (not spun round!) and she probably has the best flow and running edges out of jumps due to her having possibly the strongest SS among ladies of her era. Still, the most beautiful 3Rs got to be Maria Butyrskaya and Mao Asada for the effortlessness.

I can't think of many lovely 3Rs from male skaters except Ilia Kulik (love all his soft landings!) and Lambiel.

Not disagreeing with Kwan (esp. later in her career with the hip) and Kerrigan, but Yamaguchi's weakest jump was DEFINITELY her salchow. She almost never landed that thing, and it's posited that she lost it due to doing the throw 3S in pairs for so long.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Not disagreeing with Kwan (esp. later in her career with the hip) and Kerrigan, but Yamaguchi's weakest jump was DEFINITELY her salchow. She almost never landed that thing, and it's posited that she lost it due to doing the throw 3S in pairs for so long.

Oh my you are right. In my mind, the 3S was as good as non existent for Yamaguchi and conveniently forgot that. As she tend to pop or wobble or get wonky on the Rittbergers, it came across as the weakest jump amongst those she landed. Edge jumps especially the 3R, somehow were weaker for American ladies except maybe Karyn Kadavy and Tara. The Russian and Japanese ladies however had made the 3R their signature money jumps though.

I had always felt that the 3R is the toughest jump to get right as there is no toepick to soften it and the free leg can't be used as a swinging assist like the salchow and you depend on just leg strength to vault up and the hip muscles and core to generate the rotation. It is also a tough jump to have steps into it - being able to do running 3 turns into it the way of Slutskaya or Caro K requires very strong edge work, speed and control (I.e. Great SS). So few skaters are able to vault in without a 3/4 rotation on the ice. Personally, I tend to think a 3R deserves a higher BV than the 3F.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The 3 Loops of Ashley and Gracie among American ladies and Marin Honda of Japan are best for me.

Xue Shen :p she was just being thrown is all, but that was a really huge triple loop IMO.

For ladies I'd say Tonya Harding, Maria Butyrskaya, Irina Slutskaya. I like when a 3loop has lots of height and sort of just floats down on the landing.

Last edited: