Who is going to Skate America? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is going to Skate America?

Final Flight
If we do a GS brunch, I'm thinking Saturday since the FOFS brunch is on Sunday (which I'm planning to attend). Any other FOFS (Friends of Figure Skating) attending the skater's meet and greet/brunch?

Also, I have a question about practices - there is no practice pass in my ticket pack for Thanksgiving day. I will be in Lake Placid on Thursday and wonder if I can use any of my tickets for that (since all of them say All Event + Practice)? I suppose I can ask the organizers but for those who've done SA before, can you confirm if Thursday practice is open to ticket holders?

Hello all! I will be attending my first SA this year! Driving from NYC!
Is the FOFS brunch invite only? I'd love to meet my fellow GS members too! Been a long time silent member here :)

AidenAiena

Rinkside
Hello all! I will be attending my first SA this year! Driving from NYC!
Is the FOFS brunch invite only? I'd love to meet my fellow GS members too! Been a long time silent member here :)

Here is some info on FOFS. http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=83975

It's my first year participating so I'm not too familiar with what the brunch entails exactly. I'm taking Amtrak from NYC. I rented a car in Chicago for Skate America last year and would much rather not drive this year.

Final Flight
Here is some info on FOFS. http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=83975

It's my first year participating so I'm not too familiar with what the brunch entails exactly. I'm taking Amtrak from NYC. I rented a car in Chicago for Skate America last year and would much rather not drive this year.

Ah cool! My friend and I are staying at an AirBnb in the town over hence why we got a car - I've been in the city too long - a chill drive would be nice.

bevybean

On the Ice
Thanks for the info, bevybean, glad you liked the food and atmosphere. I have no idea yet how many people would come to brunch, but would it be good for a group of up to 8-10 people?

Sorry for the delayed reply...

The Farmhouse could handle 8-10 people especially if we go during a typically slow time (like a late lunch) The Northwoods Inn was also good, but a further walk (still completely do-able) We also really like the Breakfast Club. It's a little confusing, because they have a sit down restaurant and also a quick coffee shop type place that is smaller and in a different location. This would also be even farther away than the Northwoods. We walked it in the summer and it was fine. People might think differently though since it will be cold out.

concorde

Medalist
I am now thinking about going. I just checked the website about getting all event tickets and it seemed strange regarding seat selection. - i then i remembered some comment here not being able to select seats. Did I remember that correctly?

Any suggestions on hotels? It does not look like many options are left.

Also, is the drive from Albany really about 2 hours.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am now thinking about going. I just checked the website about getting all event tickets and it seemed strange regarding seat selection. - i then i remembered some comment here not being able to select seats. Did I remember that correctly?

Any suggestions on hotels? It does not look like many options are left.

Also, is the drive from Albany really about 2 hours.

I called the arena and was able to select my own seats.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If we do a GS brunch, I'm thinking Saturday ...

... The Farmhouse could handle 8-10 people especially if we go during a typically slow time (like a late lunch) The Northwoods Inn was also good, but a further walk (still completely do-able) We also really like the Breakfast Club. It's a little confusing, because they have a sit down restaurant and also a quick coffee shop type place that is smaller and in a different location. This would also be even farther away than the Northwoods. We walked it in the summer and it was fine. People might think differently though since it will be cold out.

Not completely definite, but I am leaning toward going to Lake Placid.

Thanks for thinking ahead about a possible GS brunch on Saturday.
I will stay tuned to this thread for any updates.

FWIW, looks as if Lake Placid will be having some cold temps and snow flurries next week. Nothing dire (knock on wood ;)), but worth mentioning, I thought.

ETA:
Seeing now that Jackie Wong earlier had tweeted a forecast for snow showers on several days:
https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/930112332839227392 (Nov 13)​

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm going! I'm leaving in 8 days with my parents to head up from Northern VA to Lake Placid. It'll be a 9-hour car ride. I'm SO excited! ESPECIALLY that I'll (FINALLY) be seeing Kevin Reynolds skate in person! Oh boy! I hope I do not pass out when I see him on the ice. I'm smiling so big cause I'm that excited! And even better, this year I have an 11-day Thanksgiving break!

I'm rambling more, but if I get the chance to meet Kevin, I'm going to take that chance. Even if I can't make eye contact with his head.

I'm also excited to see Maxim Kovtun, Roman Sadovsky, Ashley Wagner, Rachel and Michael Parsons (Fellow residents of the DC metropolitan area!), Duhamel/Radford, Gabby Daleman, etc skate. Omg like EEEEE!!!

Unfortunately I'll be leaving to go back home during the Ladies FP and the FD because my parents have to work the Monday and the schedule is kinda silly.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If we do a GS brunch, I'm thinking Saturday since the FOFS brunch is on Sunday (which I'm planning to attend). Any other FOFS (Friends of Figure Skating) attending the skater's meet and greet/brunch?

Also, I have a question about practices - there is no practice pass in my ticket pack for Thanksgiving day. I will be in Lake Placid on Thursday and wonder if I can use any of my tickets for that (since all of them say All Event + Practice)? I suppose I can ask the organizers but for those who've done SA before, can you confirm if Thursday practice is open to ticket holders?

I attended 2013 SA in Detroit, and all the practices (Thursday & Friday are the ones I remember) were open to ticket holders. I think that's the usual practice, but I can't say for sure. We had a badge to wear. And the practices were really fun ... it's where I "discovered" a hitherto unknown-to-me kid with a ponytail named Jason. :)

I will be there, and it would be fun to meet my fellow GS fan-atics. Hopefully at the Saturday brunch, so if there's still space, count me in. I won't be there till Friday, but I'm hoping to arrive in time for some of the practices.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess I buried the lead ^^^ .... but I'll be there! :yay: :hap93:!

concorde

Medalist
We are now set for SA! Plane tickets, car, hotel, and all event tickets.

Regarding Saturday brunch, when do I need to let you know by? I really want to meet you all but I am my daughter's chauffeur and we still don't know her plans.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I forget the name of the hotel I'm staying in, but it's (according to Google) about 0.3 miles away from the arena. The exterior looks like wood but I'm sure it's not actually wood.

One week from now I'll be in the car on the way and reading my virology textbook (I'll finally be getting to it :drama:). Lol. Every second is a second closer to hopefully the best Thanksgiving weekend of my life.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We are now set for SA! Plane tickets, car, hotel, and all event tickets.

Regarding Saturday brunch, when do I need to let you know by? I really want to meet you all but I am my daughter's chauffeur and we still don't know her plans.

I think if I can get a head count the day before by noon ,that would work.

nancela

Rinkside
Friday night session moved up to 6:15 pm

In yesterday's mail, I received a notice that Session 1 of Skate America (Men's Short Program & Pairs Short Program ) on
Friday, November 25th, will now begin at 6:15pm instead of 7pm, which was the time printed on the ticket mailed to me over a month ago. This information was in an envelope from the Olympic Regional Development Authority, so I almost didn't open it! Just want to be sure that everyone is aware of the earlier starting time.

nancela

Rinkside
In yesterday's mail, I received a notice that Session 1 of Skate America (Men's Short Program & Pairs Short Program ) on
Friday, November 25th, will now begin at 6:15pm instead of 7pm, which was the time printed on the ticket mailed to me over a month ago. This information was in an envelope from the Olympic Regional Development Authority, so I almost didn't open it! Just want to be sure that everyone is aware of the earlier starting time.

Sorry, Friday's date is November 24th and not the 25th as I originally stated.

concorde

Medalist

I just got my "all event" tickets and I also do not have any practice tickets. I just noticed that the website reads "the all event ticket includes access to official practice from Thursday through Sunday as well as an assigned seat to all of the following sessions."

So my guess is we show the stub that reads "all event" to the practice ice sessions and we are golden. Now to find the practice schedule.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just got my "all event" tickets and I also do not have any practice tickets. I just noticed that the website reads "the all event ticket includes access to official practice from Thursday through Sunday as well as an assigned seat to all of the following sessions."

So my guess is we show the stub that reads "all event" to the practice ice sessions and we are golden. Now to find the practice schedule.

:yay: You can go to any of the competition threads in this SA category. Doris has posted a link to the Color-Coded Schedule in the OP. Once I got the hang of reading it, I found it very informative! :)

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if I can get a head count the day before by noon ,that would work.

I will definitely be there! I will ask my mom and exchange student if they would like to come too. Where are you thinking of having it?