Who is watching on NBC?! | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Who is watching on NBC?!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
NBC expects them to commentate (see my earlier post above). Johnny doesn't just give his opinion, but often analyzes why a jump was not successful, or why somebody's jumps are technically excellent, or points out that someone looks slow in this particular skate, or what improvements a skaters has made by comparison to a previous competition or the previous season.

I like to give credit where credit is due and I will agree this is something that Johnny does do well and that I enjoy. It is also why it is so frustrating when he does stupid crap. I don't think Johnny is an idiot or incompetent. I actually think he has the skills and knowledge necessary to be good at this in a manner we would enjoy. I perhaps judge Johnny more harshly because I don't think he is an idiot....i think he knows what he is doing and much of what we see is a choice of his.... or him doing what he is told... so it is someone else's choice.

I think Johnny is just too close to skating still, especially the men. He was competing against the men he is commenting on not that long ago. I think it is just too personal for him and too raw. He does try, in the sense i often to see him making a clear effort to say nice things about Jason and be respectful....in fact i do think objectively he respect Jason, but I think Johnny has a lot of personal bitterness and inner demons that leak out. I think it would have been better for Johnny to not comment on Men for at least one Olympic cycle.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Stitch, I think you hit the nail on the head - he is still too close to it and some level is jealous he's not competing anymore. I have a lot of respect for Johnny as a skater and a person but he's a bitter kitten sometimes and it doesn't reflect well on him, especially when he's commentating.

This is why I prefer the B. Eurosport guys, even with their factual errors and mispronounciations, I never hear any bitterness in their commentary or cheap shots aimed at the skaters. What he said about Jason was a cheap shot and he should be above that.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joining the chorus agreeing with Stitch here. I also like Johnny when he does his job. I liked an analysis he did comparing Jeremy’s to Jason’s jumps last year, it was informative, and clear, and with illustrating videos. I actually find Johnny’s voice soothing.

His snark based on reality (like Kovtun’s programs, or, if he had ever done it, Jason’s beetle shell yellow pants) is funny. In doses, like Uncle Dick’s snark, it works.

But from his twitter commentary, I fear he does not know what “real critique” is. Let alone what real football criticism is. He should watch an Eagles game this year, they suck for air and get lots of real criticism.

But what does Johnny think Jason is doing, plotting ways to increase his social media presence instead of practicing that mumble mumble quad? How about the Shibs? They, God bless them, promote themselves way more than any of the singles men. I salute them for it. Doesn’t seem to have hurt the programs this year.

And I am so over comments that Johnny is criticized because we just don’t like criticism of our favorites. Yeah, like, whatever. If that’s the best defense of Johnny that can be mounted, it’s no defense at all.

And it’s very frustrating because I think in his heart Johnny does know what real criticism is. He’s either too lazy or not in the right space to provide it consistently.

Thank *God* for British Eurosport :bow:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it's possible to do commentary against former competitors. One example is Nobunari Oda. He was at freakin' Sochi after losing out on a slot at Japanese nationals and he was so respectful of his co-patriot's performances.

Though I suppose it helps that in Japan you can have a very lucrative career in skating even if you don't have a world medal.

One of my favorite moments from Nobu this season was explaining how Yuzuru avoided Zayaking at his Skate Canada FS. I mean you have to appreciate the Zayaking king being able to do such a segment with so much humor and class: https://twitter.com/shizuki2000/status/660096702473355264

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think Johnny is trying to be the modern-day Dick Button...but he's not succeeding. Johnny would like Dick's fame but wants to achieve it in his own way. Dick could be honest, even critical of skaters deficiencies but managed to do it in an articulate and sometimes humorous way. I know times have changed but sarcasm and digs get old quickly. Where Dick used to shine is how he would focus on a skaters strengths and let the viewer know why Janet Lynn's or Michelle Kwan's skating was so beautiful. Johnny's over-gushing of Russian skaters shows but he doesn't really explain why we should share in the gush. NBC's efforts to get edgy and hip is starting to wear on figure skating fans. It is very sad that dance and pairs get left behind on NBC. Hopefully they'll show all 4 disciplines in the GpF.

I'm just not a fan of Weir's commentary. He's trying way too hard to be noticed. Where he fails to be another Uncle Dick is that Uncle Dick didn't just say things just to be outrageous. That was what was funny about Dick's commentary, that this stuffy Harvard Grad old man could be so sanguine at times. I like some snark but it has to be tempered. It's not fun to listen to constant snark, I mean that's what watching with friends is for. I expect a level of professionalism, but that's just me. I also rolled my eyes when I saw his latest get-up.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
But none of the U.S. men are obsessed with social media and going viral. Not Jason or Adam. And definitely not Max or Josh or Nathan or others.
So Johnny's comment simply does not make any sense.

And that's what I think is a major weakness of his as a commentator. He's savvy enough with social media to know how things go viral. Jason's Riverdance went viral because he spent all his time getting that 3axel consistent and honing his performance skills. Going viral is a reward for hard work IMO. Weir is the attention queen who would attempt a "Look At Me!!! Let me be outrageous so maybe I can go viral!" It was an unnecessary dig, and Weir drips of bitterness and desperate for attention.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
And that's what I think is a major weakness of his as a commentator. He's savvy enough with social media to know how things go viral. Jason's Riverdance went viral because he spent all his time getting that 3axel consistent and honing his performance skills. Going viral is a reward for hard work IMO. Weir is the attention queen who would attempt a "Look At Me!!! Let me be outrageous so maybe I can go viral!" It was an unnecessary dig, and Weir drips of bitterness and desperate for attention.

and really if going viral was something you could just "try" and be successful at Johnny would have done it long ago!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Really this comment was especially tacky given that Jason is absent from this very event due to injury sustained from trying to get these bloody jumps down. It comes very close to implying that Jason is not really injured which i think is a really bad faux pas for someone like Johnny. If Johnny thinks Jason is faking he should have balls to just say it!

And which would be especially hypocritical of Weir as he had no problem faking illness and injury on several occasions during his career!

In any case, that comment is just a head scratcher for me. Even if Johnny wasn't aiming at Jason directly and speaking to the U.S. men in general, it still doesn't make sense. I mean is he complaining that the U.S. men are too active on social media? I don't even know what examples are out there to prove that the men are too busy going viral or giving up practices because of fame and fortune.

Exactly, I can't possibly think who this is aimed at. Jason and Adam are probably the most active of the current men. Jason tweets regularly, but that takes what, a minute? Unless this is some kind of pot-shot because Jason was tweeting about his charity work, or because Adam came out recently?

I don't think you could really say the other guys are super-active on social media. I mean gosh, Josh's fans are about ready to EXPIRE because of his silence, broken only by cryptic comments and emo song lyrics...I just don't get it. It's a nonsensical thing to say.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And which would be especially hypocritical of Weir as he had no problem faking illness and injury on several occasions during his career!

Exactly, I can't possibly think who this is aimed at. Jason and Adam are probably the most active of the current men. Jason tweets regularly, but that takes what, a minute? Unless this is some kind of pot-shot because Jason was tweeting about his charity work, or because Adam came out recently?

I don't think you could really say the other guys are super-active on social media. I mean gosh, Josh's fans are about ready to EXPIRE because of his silence, broken only by cryptic comments and emo song lyrics...I just don't get it. It's a nonsensical thing to say.

Well Mr Weir does have a history of missing the bus...

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Boo hoo. People need to get a backbone. Also, it's not going to happen for Jason. By the time he gets quad ONE it may as well still be quad NONE. Not to mention he doesn't even have a consistent 3A either. Efforts and attentions should be focused on Nathan Chen and making sure he has all the support and resources available and necessary for him to be successful.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boo hoo. People need to get a backbone. Also, it's not going to happen for Jason. By the time he gets quad ONE it may as well still be quad NONE. Not to mention he doesn't even have a consistent 3A either. Efforts and attentions should be focused on Nathan Chen and making sure he has all the support and resources available and necessary for him to be successful.

I know this is the internet, but I gotta answer at least one of these. :biggrin:

I'm an Eagles fan, I'll match my backbone with anyone's. And stand by my criticism of Johnny. So far, none of the "oh you (ironic sarcastic) poor poor people crying over Jason snark snark snark posts" don't upset me, don't change my mind, and don't address Johnny's deficiencies.

Like I said in my earlier post, whatever.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I know this is the internet, but I gotta answer at least one of these. :biggrin:

I'm an Eagles fan, I'll match my backbone with anyone's. And stand by my criticism of Johnny. So far, none of the "oh you (ironic sarcastic) poor poor people crying over Jason snark snark snark posts" don't upset me, don't change my mind, and don't address Johnny's deficiencies.

Like I said in my earlier post, whatever.

I think Johnny and Tara do try to give a lot of substantive, technical commentary. I think they do a good job at explaining the technical aspects the sport without being bland. Dick is still the tops and even Sandra is okay but the whole combination of Tara/Johnny/Terry is better than Sandra/Scott/Tom (though Scott/Sandra weren't all that bad).

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was going to edit my previous post, but I'll make this a second one, because it occurs to me I am being obscure for non-Americans or non-football fans. Eagles, as in Philadelphia Iggles. And fans universally acknowledged to be the meanest SOBs in football fandom. Throwing iceballs at Santa and that kind of thing.

Growing up with that, boohooing ain't my thing.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Johnny and Tara do try to give a lot of substantive, technical commentary. I think they do a good job at explaining the technical aspects the sport without being bland. Dick is still the tops and even Sandra is okay but the whole combination of Tara/Johnny/Terry is better than Sandra/Scott/Tom (though Scott/Sandra weren't all that bad).

I agree :thumbsup:; that is why I am disappointed in Johnny. I *like* his commentary when he is on. If he wants to point out why he thinks Jason isn't mastering the quad, or point to a slow mo of how he thinks the 3A is off, fine and dandy. Ditch the "too busy with the internet" stuff. Makes me wanna throw an iceball.:biggrin:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I was going to edit my previous post, but I'll make this a second one, because it occurs to me I am being obscure for non-Americans or non-football fans. Eagles, as in Philadelphia Iggles. And fans universally acknowledged to be the meanest SOBs in football fandom. Throwing iceballs at Santa and that kind of thing.

Growing up with that, boohooing ain't my thing.

Yes, Eagles fan are their own breed apart (and I say this as a Yankees fan, probably the meanest SOBs in baseball fandom).

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Yes, Eagles fan are their own breed apart (and I say this as a Yankees fan, probably the meanest SOBs in baseball fandom).

That's funny because I grew up in the Philly area, and attended Eagles, Phillies, and Flyers games religiously. I don't want to age me, but I am 43, so when I attended these games as a kid when all three were so successful I never saw the "bad" fandom. I thought Miami Dolphins and Cowboys fans were the worst!

I'm not averse to negative commenting if it GOES somewhere. I would say I had some pretty negative coaches in my youth, but they were about how to improve. I'm not a knee-jerk "Oh he said something negative, he is terrible!" person. And after watching poor Pogo in that SP I was especially listening to TSL and how they handled it. Seriously I was ready to be sensitive because I've had major failings in performance and it's not that you question yourself and all you've put into it, but you question whether to go on. I really felt that Jenny and Dave were very respectful and certainly were not making fun of her as someone here had written. She does need to learn to fall more gracefully. When I took up skating in my 20s that was the first lesson I learned, was how to fall going ACROSS the ice and not kuh-plumpt straight down on the ice. Maria Butyrskaya had the same problem. Her falls were epic. I did not see any nastiness on TSL about Pogo. We've all been there, no matter the sport or endeavor.