Why NBC, why? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why NBC, why?

skatesofgold

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Prime Time Olympics coverage has ALWAYS been heavy on the fluff. At least for the fifty years I have been watching.

I yield to no one my regard for “sport”, but I love and loved the personal interest stories. I loved “Up Close and Personal, the ABC way”, and those fluff pieces, IIRC, were longer and, well, fluffier than they are today.

Back in the day when figure skating ruled the airwaves.....
And yet, they showed more actual gymnastics routines during the 1996 Olympics. Honestly, I think it's beach volleyball that has caused the gymnastics coverage to suffer. I think the focus used to just be gymnastics, swimming, and athletics. At least, it felt that way in 1996 and 2000. I'm not old enough to have a judgment of anything before 1994, which was the first Olympics, winter or summer, that I watched. Not sure about the problems with winter Olympic coverage. I think it's the introduction of snowboarding. So maybe it's that prime time coverage is trying to be too much now? I think NBC also prefers to show when Americans do well. This is why men's gymnastics coverage has been reduced since 2008.

I'm also pretty sure CBS (1992-1998) had better winter Olympic coverage than NBC.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And yet, they showed more actual gymnastics routines during the 1996 Olympics. Honestly, I think it's beach volleyball that has caused the gymnastics coverage to suffer. I think the focus used to just be gymnastics, swimming, and athletics. At least, it felt that way in 1996 and 2000. I'm not old enough to have a judgment of anything before 1994, which was the first Olympics, winter or summer, that I watched. Not sure about the problems with winter Olympic coverage. I think it's the introduction of snowboarding. So maybe it's that prime time coverage is trying to be too much now? I think NBC also prefers to show when Americans do well. This is why men's gymnastics coverage has been reduced since 2008.

I'm also pretty sure CBS (1992-1998) had better winter Olympic coverage than NBC.

Beach volleyball. Ugh. You are right, we agree there. And that was not designed to appeal to (straight) women...:cautious:

i think you may be right that there were more sports back in the day on the networks, but there were fewer sports and only networks. Nowadays, every heat of every niche sport can be shown on some obscure cable channel (we cut the cord, so I can’t say which ones).

If I knew the magic formula for promoting skating, I would do it. I don’t. :(

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm also pretty sure CBS had better winter Olympic coverage than NBC.
Yes! I still remember CBS' coverage!

Any sport they add is going to require more time, and they keep adding sports. Also NBCSN no longer exists. But at this point, since I can watch any sport I care about live, I don't even watch the broadcasts anymore. Which is something I never thought would happen. In the bad old days, pre live stream any sport on the Internet, I used to watch it once and then stay up and watch the replay. I also used to take a week off, winter and summer, with a huge stack of VHS tapes, to watch the Olympics. I don't like being spoiled. I will never forget, during the 1994 Winter Olympics and was spoiled to the figure skating by someone at my doctor's office. I was so aggravated! That would never happen today.

Last edited:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^^
I remember CBS and it was terrible. So much time wasted on promos and cutesy asides that had nothing to do with sports. It was worse than NBC which is a low bar. If I remember correctly ABC used to do it back in the day and I recall that they were good. Streamlined and informative and all about the sports.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beach volleyball. Ugh. You are right, we agree there. And that was not designed to appeal to (straight) women...:cautious:

i think you may be right that there were more sports back in the day on the networks, but there were fewer sports and only networks. Nowadays, every heat of every niche sport can be shown on some obscure cable channel (we cut the cord, so I can’t say which ones).

If I knew the magic formula for promoting skating, I would do it. I don’t. :(
I believe the beach volleyball players can wear regular clothes now.

A person can watch all of every sport if they want to (probably physically impossible, but one could try) live as it happens on the NBC Olympics website. Typically with International commentary, which I prefer.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^
I remember CBS and it was terrible. So much time wasted on promos and cutesy asides that had nothing to do with sports. It was worse than NBC which is a low bar. If I remember correctly ABC used to do it back in the day and I recall that they were good. Streamlined and informative and all about the sports.

I mean this seriously, did you not watch the endless “Up Close and Personal” from ABC? I did, because I liked them. :)

and I am astounded when I rewatch now how much Uncle Dick talked through the program. I love him and his commentary but I had forgotten just how much he talked. :oops:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^
Yes, I remember ABC fondly.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I mean this seriously, did you not watch the endless “Up Close and Personal” from ABC? I did, because I liked them. :)

and I am astounded when I rewatch now how much Uncle Dick talked through the program. I love him and his commentary but I had forgotten just how much he talked. :oops:
At least he didn't do things like have an argument with Peggy over what genre of music a skater is skating to. I went to watch Jimmy's "Turn Down For What" program and Johnny and Tara were arguing over whether the music was rap or house. :rolleyes:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been interested to note that many gymnastics sponsors are the same as figure skating sponsors. Yes, Prevagen! Angi...there's GK, but that's a manufacturer of gymnastics "stuff". It's the equivalent of having a blades sponsor for a figure skating comp. The big one we don't have seems to be Nike.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States

I don't remember so probably not. I'd rather just the sports. They're enough. For instance, I remember (1988) the women's 4x100 meter relay and watching the great sprinter Evelyn Ashford who came off the turn with the US in third (after a fatigued overworked FloJo didn't deliver) tear up the track and win!!! The camera was at waist level and you could see the power and determination in Ashford's sprint. FloJo got all the attention (understandably most of it) but it was Ashford who saved the day. That was drama and human interest enough for me. Oh and yes I'm a huge track fan (did it myself). And yes Dick was chatty but informative. And he and Peggy did not try to compete with each other's egos. Ah those were the days.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peacock is leaving the replay up for people to see it. What fresh hell, Peacock?

Kris135

On the Ice
Well I was on youtube just now and guess what the the afternoon session of the classic is up and the put there by the USA Gymnatics. The evening session will most likely up by noon. Nationals latter this month will the same. I wonder why the USFS does not do something similar with some of the competitions that they do have rights over like some of the NQS events or some of the smaller competitions like Cranberry Cup that is happening next weekend. Monetize it though youtube and come to an agreement with music companies that the money that they get will spilt down the middle and that every song that is going to be used by skaters, unless is out of copyright, will have a link in the descrption of where they can get a copy each song from most of the most popular music streaming sites like iTunes. Also the USFS needs to take back some control of skating content from NBC. Just because they have the broadcasting rights for the events does not mean that they should have total control on whether we ever have the chance to ever see the event again. Last yeat at U.S. Classic it was so bad that even the of the competitors could not get a copy of one of his first international competitions to remember the event by. If you could not manage to rearrange you enitre schedule to see the Grand Prix you either had to go though a VPN, or watch recap show on Sunday, or skip it altogether. NBC/Peacock should have first bit at the apple but after that the rights should revert back to the USFS so thry can use it to promote the sport because what they are doing now is not working. One thing that USFS should be looking at is getting rid NBC as their broadcast partner if possible after 2026. I mean who knows ABC , CBS, or another broadcaster may want it. I think ABC would be a good home for it because they had it for years and ESPN has the space to but back on TV. When ABC held the rights we actually saw more skating that now. World Championship coverage that was same day with coverage of all four disciplines at time when people were awake, or if it was in North America possible live coverage of the event. Yes it was only the final group of skaters but at least we saw them. The past World Championships the only time that it was on broadcast TV was either live which started anywhere from 3-6 am depending on your time zone, and this was only for the singles disciplines, or the two hour recap show that was on Saturday night. I know it was on Peacock but really unless someone is looking for figure skating content they would not know about it. At least when the Olympic Channel was on the air you could find coverage of the events or at least replays of them on a channel you could record from. The only way the death sprial in ratings and interst is going stop is for USFS to take taking back some of the control that they just gave to NBC and start demanding that they do what they promised in their contracts because I know there was a section on repaly and secondary broadcast rights and NBC has been in breach of that section for close to a year now and tell them to fix it or threaten to sue because they would have grounds to invalidate the entire contract. They may lose their broadcasting partner but I think that might not be such a bad thing because the USFS could take control and maybe do a better job of puttting out skating content from the ISU though youtube than NBC has been doing for the last few years.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC Sports is just awful. It doesn't matter which sport we're talking about.

There were many good athletes... and many good stories... at this gymnastics competition, but it was all-Simone-all-the-time.

I get it - give her the credit and coverage she rightly deserves. But live coverage of her just sitting, while ignoring the other competitors who are actively engaged... just pitiful.

I bet if someone did an analysis, Simone Biles was on the screen (or being talked about) more than 50% of the broadcast.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

There were many good athletes... and many good stories... at this gymnastics competition, but it was all-Simone-all-the-time.

I get it - give her the credit and coverage she rightly deserves. But live coverage of her just sitting, while ignoring the other competitors who are actively engaged... just pitiful.

I bet if someone did an analysis, Simone Biles was on the screen (or being talked about) more than 50% of the broadcast.

Just like the Nathan Broadcasting Company during the 2018 and 2022 Olympics. :)

I don't watch gymnastics and don't know a darn thing about them. I suppose NBC would think they are broadcasting to me, as I do know the name Simone Biles. I know a lot more about her hubby Jonathan Owens (and he's only on the Texans practice squad, so I know very little about him. But more than I do about Simone.) I miss the days of Up Close and Personal about athletes I *didn't* know.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm glad you finally said gymnastics, I was thinking, are skaters in Salt Lake City. 😱

I don't know a hill of beans about gymnastics, I don't watch it, but I know this. It is WAY more popular than figure skating in the US. I would venture there is WAY more money in endorsements and advertisers.

I would bet my non existent mortgage that Simone Biles makes ten times what Nathan Chen makes.

💵💵💵 talks.
You are probably right about that! US FS could do a lot more to popularize figure skating and the great skaters that we have. But they really don't. That said, I was happy to see replays of the gymnastics meet available on Peacock today.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just like the Nathan Broadcasting Company during the 2018 and 2022 Olympics. :)
Oh now that brings back memories of reading the 2018 Olympic threads not long after I started following the sport... even Americans were Not Happy.

I can kinda, sorta, maybe see a little of NBC's point if I squint very very hard, they are losing audiences and market share as people's tastes in entertainment, and ways of slaking that taste, change. They do and will push whoever and whatever they think will work, and leave crumb-filled corners for what they think won't (like, you know, the rest of the competitors in gymnastics. Or pretty much anyone now in skating.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well I was on youtube just now and guess what the the afternoon session of the classic is up and the put there by the USA Gymnatics. The evening session will most likely up by noon. Nationals latter this month will the same. I wonder why the USFS does not do something similar with some of the competitions that they do have rights over like some of the NQS events or some of the smaller competitions like Cranberry Cup that is happening next weekend. Monetize it though youtube and come to an agreement with music companies that the money that they get will spilt down the middle and that every song that is going to be used by skaters, unless is out of copyright, will have a link in the descrption of where they can get a copy each song from most of the most popular music streaming sites like iTunes. Also the USFS needs to take back some control of skating content from NBC. Just because they have the broadcasting rights for the events does not mean that they should have total control on whether we ever have the chance to ever see the event again. Last yeat at U.S. Classic it was so bad that even the of the competitors could not get a copy of one of his first international competitions to remember the event by. If you could not manage to rearrange you enitre schedule to see the Grand Prix you either had to go though a VPN, or watch recap show on Sunday, or skip it altogether. NBC/Peacock should have first bit at the apple but after that the rights should revert back to the USFS so thry can use it to promote the sport because what they are doing now is not working. One thing that USFS should be looking at is getting rid NBC as their broadcast partner if possible after 2026. I mean who knows ABC , CBS, or another broadcaster may want it. I think ABC would be a good home for it because they had it for years and ESPN has the space to but back on TV. When ABC held the rights we actually saw more skating that now. World Championship coverage that was same day with coverage of all four disciplines at time when people were awake, or if it was in North America possible live coverage of the event. Yes it was only the final group of skaters but at least we saw them. The past World Championships the only time that it was on broadcast TV was either live which started anywhere from 3-6 am depending on your time zone, and this was only for the singles disciplines, or the two hour recap show that was on Saturday night. I know it was on Peacock but really unless someone is looking for figure skating content they would not know about it. At least when the Olympic Channel was on the air you could find coverage of the events or at least replays of them on a channel you could record from. The only way the death sprial in ratings and interst is going stop is for USFS to take taking back some of the control that they just gave to NBC and start demanding that they do what they promised in their contracts because I know there was a section on repaly and secondary broadcast rights and NBC has been in breach of that section for close to a year now and tell them to fix it or threaten to sue because they would have grounds to invalidate the entire contract. They may lose their broadcasting partner but I think that might not be such a bad thing because the USFS could take control and maybe do a better job of puttting out skating content from the ISU though youtube than NBC has been doing for the last few years.
Please email USFS with these suggestions. I would also love to see Regionals/Sectionals come back, this qualification system is a mess.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I am not sure about the Senior women, but each routine of all the Junior women was posted to the Youtube channel (along with the main feed).

ABC/ESPN does (in my opinion) a stellar job of broadcasting NCAA gymnastics. One sees every routine from every athlete in a regular dual meet. When you get to the post season one can choose what they see and watch all routines from an apparatus, a team or the main broadcast. At Nationals the secondary streams even have commentators. It's why I know a lot more about gymnastics than I do about skating, even though I watch more skating.

They could certainly cover skating just as well.

What would giving us streaming of the NQS series cost? A stationary camera?