Who will break Yuna Kim's record and when? | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Who will break Yuna Kim's record and when?

mrrice

Record Breaker
She is only 160 cm. She looked much taller than she actually was!

Correct, Maria was only 160 cm. or 5'3" for all of us non-metric people.;) Maria had long legs for being as short as she was and she also had very good posture. It's too bad they didn't have the great close ups of the skaters back then, that they have now. Maria was a beautiful woman and she was a giant flirt when she skated. Even during her Otonal Free Program which was very lyrical and pretty. She had a look that in her eye that I can't explain. I guess Ashley is the closest to Maria but, Maria was more subtle and I think that's why some people would complain about her huge performance scores. Believe me, they were well deserved.

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Holy smokes! She's already 173? Where did you hear that from? I don't think I've seen a female skater taller than Joshi Helgesson recently who is listed as 171.

I do have a feeling she might reach 180 when done growing. :eekn:

Lucinda Ruh - 178 :) I think that some skaters appear taller than they are because of ... their blades and heels of their boots that add some height as well as their body type :)

Last edited:

Franklin99

Medalist
Lucinda Ruh - 178 :) I think that some skaters appear taller than they are because of ... their blades and heels of their boots that add some height as well as their body type :)

Yup, Lucinda Ruh is 5'9" tall. And she was quoted as saying, "Since the center of gravity was higher, combined with the rigid training while growing, I never really had a chance to get my timing and balance back. As a result, injuries from bad falls plagued me even more and I started not liking jumps."

I'm thinking Polina's height is affecting her jumps much like Lucinda, hopefully her team can adjust her jumping style to accommodate her height.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the bright side of things hopefully Polina can start spinning like Lucinda :love:

Layback11

Record Breaker
This title should probably be changed to "Who Will Break Evgenia Medvedeva's Record and When?"

I predict that it will be Evgenia Medvedeva. :p

If anyone were to break Evgenia's record besides Evgenia, I would guess it would be Polina Tsurskaya, unless Mao has the skate of her life.

thegreendestiny

On the Ice
Polina has huuuge jumps (bigger than any female Russian skater). Other than that, she has nothing in her belt. I don't think she can even match Evgenia in terms of PCS.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
This title should probably be changed to "Who Will Break Evgenia Medvedeva's Record and When?"

Why should it? Is the LP record the only one that counts?
Yuna and Mao both still have records too, and the question who will break the overall WR is still there :p

narcissa

Record Breaker
^Evgenia beat the overall WR at the Team Challenge Cup :p
Thank god those scores don't count.

RABID

Final Flight
Yuna and Mao both still have records too, and the question who will break the overall WR is still there :p

Or her streak of podium appearances.... in the modern era of figure skating anyway.

Krislite

Medalist
[...]

If anyone were to break Evgenia's record besides Evgenia, I would guess it would be Polina Tsurskaya, unless Mao has the skate of her life.

Mao having the skate of her life (Sochi LP) isn't enough. She needs a way to break out of the "corridor" of GOE that the judges have pegged her into. If you look at the records Yuna and Evgenia have gotten, most of it is from the GOE-side. Yuna's Vancouver LP and Evgenia's 2016 Worlds LP were both around 77-78 on the TES. Their PCS weren't very high by today's standards, and were both lower than what Ashley got at Worlds.

What's the formula she needs? Well if we're going by Medvedeva's scores, it's clean rotations and Tanos galore. :)

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mao having the skate of her life (Sochi LP) isn't enough. She needs a way to break out of the "corridor" of GOE that the judges have pegged her into. If you look at the records Yuna and Evgenia haven't gotten, most of it is from the GOE-side. Yuna's Vancouver LP and Evgenia's 2016 Worlds LP were both around 77-78 on the TES. Their PCS weren't very high by today's standards, and were both lower than what Ashley got at Worlds.

What's the formula she needs? Well if we're going by Medvedeva's scores, it's clean rotations and Tanos galore. :)

I don't think that's it. Mao just needs to string together a few good events and then she will see her PCS rise. If she isn't viewed as a medal contender she won't get the highest marks. She only skated one strong LP out of six this season.

Or her streak of podium appearances.... in the modern era of figure skating anyway.

Counting only major ISU competitions at the senior level, Michelle Kwan has 32. Is this record out of reach for skaters of the "modern era?"

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Counting only major ISU competitions at the senior level, Michelle Kwan has 32. Is this record out of reach for skaters of the "modern era?"
Michelle also never finished lower than silver at any competition from 1995-96 through 2000-01. From there, she stayed on the podium through 2004, finishing off only at her last competition, at Worlds 2005.

Krislite

Medalist
I don't think that's it. Mao just needs to string together a few good events and then she will see her PCS rise. If she isn't viewed as a medal contender she won't get the highest marks. She only skated one strong LP out of six this season.

The PCS gap isn't that big between Mao and Evgenia. It's the TES/GOE gap she has to bridge, and it's a huge one. Like I said, more than 50% of Yuna's and Evgenia's record scores were comprised of TES points, not PCS.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The LP record was the only one that counted until Evgenia broke it. Then the "overall" record became the only one that mattered.