Who would likely get hit by puberty? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Who would likely get hit by puberty?

Barb

Record Breaker
Medvedeva made that same remark about only 500 grams being a noticeable weight gain as far as jumps are concerned.
That's such a small amount, how on earth does a female manage to avoid a 500 gram weight fluctuation? Surely the "fully grown" ladies would need to be taking contraception pills to ensure minimal hormone fluctuation, and plan when to take inactive pills with their coaches (so that they're not suffering with fluid retention etc during competition or an important training block)?
^ this brings to mind an article by a Japanese figure skater - name is escaping me atm, maybe Seguri? - who spoke about the importance of girls being able to discuss subjects such as contraception pills and the effects their cycles have on their skating abilities with their coaches.

Exactly, simply two glasses of water or food weight 500g

DaPurpleDino

Final Flight
Medvedeva made that same remark about only 500 grams being a noticeable weight gain as far as jumps are concerned.
That's such a small amount, how on earth does a female manage to avoid a 500 gram weight fluctuation? Surely the "fully grown" ladies would need to be taking contraception pills to ensure minimal hormone fluctuation, and plan when to take inactive pills with their coaches (so that they're not suffering with fluid retention etc during competition or an important training block)?
^ this brings to mind an article by a Japanese figure skater - name is escaping me atm, maybe Seguri? - who spoke about the importance of girls being able to discuss subjects such as contraception pills and the effects their cycles have on their skating abilities with their coaches.

Akiko suzuki wrote about it on her blog

mrrice

Record Breaker
I wish this topic included skater's who'd been hit by "puberty" and then went on to great success. Look at Irina Slutskaya and Tuk.....They were both called overweight due to puberty and they both missed the World Team before they recovered and became European and World Champions..

Especially Irina...In 2000, she looked like a completely different person.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I wish this topic included skater's who'd been hit by "puberty" and then went on to great success.

Yukari Nakano as well. When I first saw her in 2002, she was an itty bitty thing with a triple axel but finishing out of the medals on the GP. She grew, gained power, and went on to many, many medals from 06-10, as well as finishing 4th & 5th in the World. Denis Ten also went through it @2012-13 and emerged with a quad in competition and World silver/bronze and Olympic bronze.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker

Watch a few videos about rythmic gymnasts and their training and lifestyle.
Scary stuff.