Why don't more figure skaters do cameo? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why don't more figure skaters do cameo?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It's just business. No need to judge anyone based on that.

People offer a service. People want to pay for it. They agree to an amount of money that will suit both of them. There is nothing wrong about this.

Regarding autographs : it is absolutely normal that people will charge money for an autograph when participating to an event where the point is to meet the stars and get a souvenir from them. They are offering a service and should be remunerated for it. Sometimes, you can even buy merchandise, then get it signed.

I personally couldn't care less for autographs. I have gotten two in my entire life... for free... one for the thrill of getting an Olympic champion... and the thrill was really short lived. the other time was for Nik's blue eyes... I just wanted to look at him from up close... and I felt a bit sorry that everyone was asking Lolo and not him :) I corrected that. and he is really good looking from up close :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
One of my nieces, when she was a teen, attended a ComicCon or similar event. Matt Smith was Dr. Who at the time and she paid for the meet and greet (not cheap). The selfie with him looks great (her and him) What were the chances she was ever going to see Matt Smith walking down the street to ask for a selfie? None.

Money well spent.

Congrats to your niece, he's one of my favourite Doctors :love:

I have a fannish friend, a devotee of the Stargate franchise, who did the same some years back and has a photo of herself with Jason Momoa from before his fame exploded. She also considers the money extremely well spent... as does the other friend who has one of herself with a minor star of a forgotten TV show that she was and still is a fan of.

I mean, I probably wouldn't do this (though I see a couple of names, like beloved British star Miriam Margolyes, that make me go 'hmmmmm?'). But I have bought quite a bit of memorabilia over the years, either direct or on ebay etc and I have kept and love it. Some of the Japanese skaters/shows do merchandise (Yuzu's show merchandise last year alone made and is still making an apparently eyewatering fortune worldwide and yes, I bought :biggrin:) because that, and I guess this cameo thing, are the way of the world now. People pay because it's someone who they feel they already have formed a connection with - maybe one-sided, maybe even fake, but it makes them happy. It's just another form of souvenir of something - and someone - you love from a distance.

And if it's good for actors, all the better for skaters most of whom who really don't have a lot of outside avenues for fund-raising or merchandise selling.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wonder - is this yet another example of the cultural differences on either side of the Atlantic Ocean? Because asking for money for things like autographs or photos is seriously frowned upon over here. It is seen as the person exploiting their fame to be greedy, and is considered a major faux pas. Unless the money is going to charity, in which case it is acceptable.

In fact, you can see this difference in culture on the figure skating section of Cameo, because the only British based skater on there, Mok Ye-Bin, is giving all the proceeds from her videos to charity.

All but one of the skaters on Cameo are from North America, or at least grew up there. The other one is Australian. I've never had any reason before to wonder which viewpoint is taken Down Under. But, now I'm really curious.

CaroLiza_fan

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Here the Japanese pay good money to talk to strangers and have these strangers do small talk to them and praise their appearance. It’s very common practice to pay to talk, pay to meet people around here.

I find the practice very shallow, however I would most definitely pay lots of money to have something from a skater whose work/career I deeply admire and who always serves me as inspiration when I’m on the ice.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wonder - is this yet another example of the cultural differences on either side of the Atlantic Ocean? Because asking for money for things like autographs or photos is seriously frowned upon over here. It is seen as the person exploiting their fame to be greedy, and is considered a major faux pas. Unless the money is going to charity, in which case it is acceptable.

In fact, you can see this difference in culture on the figure skating section of Cameo, because the only British based skater on there, Mok Ye-Bin, is giving all the proceeds from her videos to charity.

All but one of the skaters on Cameo are from North America, or at least grew up there. The other one is Australian. I've never had any reason before to wonder which viewpoint is taken Down Under. But, now I'm really curious.

CaroLiza_fan

I imagine it has more to do with assumptions/opinions about celebrity and fannish culture, which is increasingly a part of sport and is changing, whether for good or ill. And yes, it probably is more prevalent in the US because that is where celebrity culture is greater (but I had a look and there were quite a number of British actors there, just as they are at cons). It's just another way to monetize celebrity in an age where there are oh so so so many 'celebrities'.

I mean when you think of it. is it that much different in real terms than the Meet and Greet sessions that you pay for, or a celebrity book launch where you have to buy the book (whether or not you will read it) so that the person on the cover will write a message and signature, or anything else that fans cough up for?

Again, I wouldn't buy one because a message that we had to supply for them to read aloud... makes me feel a bit cringey because it's so clearly fake. But that's just me, and I'm not their target audience.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would most definitely pay lots of money to have something from a skater whose work/career I deeply admire and who always serves me as inspiration when I’m on the ice.
We spend a lot of time on the web talking about how expensive this sport is, how little the rewards are except for a handful, and how few avenues for fund-raising the unlucky are. I doubt most of those currently competing will go in for this, but eh... not my place to judge how they pay the bills.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I imagine it has more to do with assumptions/opinions about celebrity and fannish culture, which is increasingly a part of sport and is changing, whether for good or ill. And yes, it probably is more prevalent in the US because that is where celebrity culture is greater (but I had a look and there were quite a number of British actors there, just as they are at cons). It's just another way to monetize celebrity in an age where there are oh so so so many 'celebrities'.

I mean when you think of it. is it that much different in real terms than the Meet and Greet sessions that you pay for, or a celebrity book launch where you have to buy the book (whether or not you will read it) so that the person on the cover will write a message and signature, or anything else that fans cough up for?

Again, I wouldn't buy one because a message that we had to supply for them to read aloud... makes me feel a bit cringey because it's so clearly fake. But that's just me, and I'm not their target audience.
I don’t think you supply the actual message. You tell them “this is my mom’s 87th birthday” or whatever. One guy from a U.S. reality show does a craft during his and then sends you the craft.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don’t think you supply the actual message. You tell them “this is my mom’s 87th birthday” or whatever. One guy from a U.S. reality show does a craft during his and then sends you the craft.
Ah sorry, I misunderstood. I don't have a problem with it, if skaters can earn a bit from it (though probably not a lot).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

CaroLiza_fan
Cultural differences, fair enough... but let's not forget how obsessed some Europeans are with their monarchs and footballers... Fine, not on cameo... expressed differently... that's all.

noskates

Record Breaker
Rather than rebuking the figure skaters - what about the people that are willing to pay? There shouldn't be any judgement here because it's all a case of demand and supply. If someone said "Noskates, I'll give you $20 to sign your name on this piece of paper!" Why would I say no? (as long as it wasn't a blank check :rolleye:)Or," how about I record a greeting on your phone?" Some of it is just fun. It doesn't hurt anybody. If you don't want to participate - don't!

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I've never heard of Cameo until I read this thread. But different strokes for different folks. If someone wants to sign something for money and all participants know the ground rules, it's fine by me.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Guys, just to let you know that I've been doing searches, and have found that there are skaters that are not coming up in the figure skating section.

The additional skaters I found (using a variety of search terms) are:

• Alex Murphy
  • Camden Pulkinen
  • Karen Chen
  • Joe Johnson
  • Mark Hanretty
  • Vanessa James
  • Eric Radford
  • Matt Evers
  • Kaetlyn Osmond
  • Patricia Kühne
  • Elizabeth Manley
  • Johnny Weir

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Guys, just to let you know that I've been doing searches, and have found that there are skaters that are not coming up in the figure skating section.

They need to get that fixed so they do show up, I wonder if they even know?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
They need to get that fixed so they do show up, I wonder if they even know?

It's happening all over the site. I was also doing searches connected with TV programmes I like, and there were quite a few cast members that were coming up when you did a search for the programme's title, but then did not come up when you went into the programme's dedicated category page.

The site is a mess.

CaroLiza_fan

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan
It may be a bit of a cultural difference, but I think the big difference is that it's not an autograph or a photo. My friend got one of these for her birthday and it was much more involved (and actually really sweet; I forget which celebrity it was but it was a really neat message). It wasn't a card or a quote, it was an audio message, like having a conversation with him. Is $100 for five minutes of work a lot of money? Of course. But the point is it's actual time, and actual work, that the celebrity is doing, outside of their normal duties and what is expected--autographs at a book signing or meet and greet, answering some fan mail, interviews, etc.

It's a little goofy, and I would feel too awkward to do it, but it doesn't feel remotely the same as having to slip a famous person some cash to sign my program at the rink. Kinda like I'll answer some questions from an acquaintance or give some tips here and there, but if they want a real hour-long private ballet lesson, I'll charge for that.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I wonder - is this yet another example of the cultural differences on either side of the Atlantic Ocean? Because asking for money for things like autographs or photos is seriously frowned upon over here.
Must be because I’m judging. I’m judging hard.

There’s a saying in my tribe: “We do not beg for treats for we are not dogs.” Something like this won’t fly. Not for the seller. Not for the buyer.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

There’s a saying in my tribe: “We do not beg for treats for we are not dogs.” Something like this won’t fly. Not for the seller. Not for the buyer.

There is a saying among my people: A contract is a meeting of the minds. An agreement to pay for services rendered

Ain't no one begging. Seems like a great idea for celebrities who are willing and for people who would enjoy it. As for me, I would side-eye, hard, any judging of that mutual agreement.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

What, in practical terms and apart from the fact that it's online, is the difference between this and having to pay to go to a meet and greet/book launch, maybe with an autograph if you buy the book (like, I don't know. Nathan Chen's in Japan?) Or going to a convention and paying for that photo with Jason Momoa? Or spending on Serena Williams, Kevin Durant, AFL, Yuzuru Hanyu or for that matter Kazuki Tomono or Marin Honda merchandise? All of these are selling something, and have people willing to buy.

Yes, the people who do it in cameo for the most part are not (especially in the actor section, though some of them are in big productions even now!) A-stars and/or are doing it for charity. And yes it feels different to us, though I suspect if you asked young people more used to modern fandom/conventions/merchandising, they would see much less difference. Things change. Not so long ago, a gift card would have been seen as the height of vulgarity. And further back, it was Not Done for the famous or even semi-famous to hawk products in advertising.)

Last edited: