Whynot Tallinn? | Golden Skate

Whynot Tallinn?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am pretty new to being able to have the time to follow the JPG circuit, but I have been sick for 12 days so I have had lots of down time.
I would guess that beautiful Tallinn put in for the JPG stop as it would fill some hotel rooms and sell some meals, etc but I am surprised I am
not seeing more occasional fans in the stands. Estonia may not be a hotbed of figure skating but it has a 25 percent Russian population with many
retirees and Helsinki is a short boat ride away. The arena looks good with real seats and clear views to boot, unlike a certain Salt Lake City area venue I wont mention.
I would certainly attend if Tallinn were closer. Am I missing something here? Are there not a couple hundred occasional fans who would like to see
some great skating and a nice city? Or is it just the poor popularity of skating in general that is the fault?

Caustica

Final Flight
I guess not many figure skating fans would pay for transport & accommodation (and take holiday leave) to see a selection of juniors (not all the top ones).

Most of the fans who would actually travel to see a selection of juniors would, I suppose, be from Japan, but it is a long way from Japan to Estonia (expensive travel) and juniors don't usually have the most dedicated of fanbases.

Plus, today was a Thursday, so perhaps there will be more people on Friday evening and Saturday.

TBH, even senior GPs and Euros can have pretty empty audience stands sometimes (not as empty as juniors, but certainly nowhere close to sold out), and seniors are much more well known.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I will explain you why Tallinn citizens are not really attending the event.
Even I, a big figure skating fan, am not able to attend all events.

1. Thursday, Friday - working days. Kids are at school, students are at unis, adults at work.
Speaking from my view, I have 2 part-time jobs. Finishing second job at 7 pm doesn't allow me to go to event. I was considering coming to Men's SP but my plans changed.
2. Lack of information about the event.
There was almost no information in the media (or anywhere else) about the event. So, most people are simply unaware.
3. Not having strong skaters from your country doesn't help either. It would be nice to have "a star", who we could promote and people would know the name and come to cheer for that person and hence seeing other skaters. OR simply the sport would be much, much more popular. We had Glebova, who people knew, now...not really

There would probably be a couple of more points that I could make but I am too tired.

I am coming to the event tomorrow at Pairs FS and Ladies FS, having a gap between job and training. Hoping to make it at Saturday's events as well.

PS The arena is very good, since it is new. IT as built just 2 years ago. I remember the time when JGP was held in a small arena, just 3 years ago, that was Sima Sakhanovich's first junior season (she won at Tallinn JGP). Well, being at that arena I felt so embarassed.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I will explain you why Tallinn citizens are not really attending the event.
Even I, a big figure skating fan, am not able to attend all events.

1. Thursday, Friday - working days. Kids are at school, students are at unis, adults at work.
Speaking from my view, I have 2 part-time jobs. Finishing second job at 7 pm doesn't allow me to go to event. I was considering coming to Men's SP but my plans changed.
2. Lack of information about the event.
There was almost no information in the media (or anywhere else) about the event. So, most people are simply unaware.
3. Not having strong skaters from your country doesn't help either. It would be nice to have "a star", who we could promote and people would know the name and come to cheer for that person and hence seeing other skaters. OR simply the sport would be much, much more popular. We had Glebova, who people knew, now...not really

There would probably be a couple of more points that I could make but I am too tired.

I am coming to the event tomorrow at Pairs FS and Ladies FS, having a gap between job and training. Hoping to make it at Saturday's events as well.

PS The arena is very good, since it is new. IT as built just 2 years ago. I remember the time when JGP was held in a small arena, just 3 years ago, that was Sima Sakhanovich's first junior season (she won at Tallinn JGP). Well, being at that arena I felt so embarassed.

Thanks for your information. Reason #1 is very common in the United States, also. Many locals have problems getting away from their normal life if they are not retired. I have seen local events bring in buses of school kids for a few hours, which I think beneficial for the kids should they be interested in learning about international events. (Many dont seem to be but oh well)
Reason 2 is rather interesting. In my city of Spokane, every time we have a skating event, the local media comes on board with billboards, tv coverage and commercials, and newspaper coverage. But that level of coverage cuts way back for a sectional or regional event,where relatively few people attend (the local rink where THEY are held is small and not fan friendly anyway) I really like the Tallinn rink.
#3 is a big problem in the US, also, as far as getting casual fans in the door.
Hope some more locals can make it for the weekend, and a few Finn Fans also....

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
There is a fair crowd at Tallinn JGP, but they are almost all sitting behind the judges, where the cameras can't see them...