Will Lipnitskaia have a career like Cohen? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Will Lipnitskaia have a career like Cohen?

Amei

Record Breaker
Bottom Line: Whenever Lipnitskaia retires, if she mirror Cohen's career - it will be a well-decorated career and she should have nothing to be ashamed about (especially with how competitive Russian ladies is).

I love to see jumps at exhibitions, but if the skater can make up for relative lack of jumps with everything else, it is not a loss, but an asset.

I agree, I was just saying that her exhibitions were 'near perfect' because she rarely did her 'problem' area of the sport - her jumps. Her exhibitions are some of my favorite to watch - she did amazing spins/spirals that really captivated the audience.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
So I finally watched both of her skates, from GPF and Nationals where she missed 4+ jumps in the LP... has Sasha even ever done that? :shocked:

Panpie

On the Ice
Hmm . . . just had to jump in about the tennis discussion (sorry). How far would Sharapova have gone in tennis without being discovered? Not very far, I imagine. She had to eventually do much more than hitting balls against a wall to get where she is today. To become an elite tennis player generally requires a lot of practice with high quality equipment, lots of court time, cross training, going to expensive schools, coaches, etc. There are some players at the top who may have gone a different route, or may have had to play at public courts early on, but they are probably the exceptions that prove the rule. No offense to anyone.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Bottom Line: Whenever Lipnitskaia retires, if she mirror Cohen's career - it will be a well-decorated career and she should have nothing to be ashamed about (especially with how competitive Russian ladies is).

Julia has already had an outstanding career. She was as responsible for the team gold as anyone else due to her winning both portions of her event. A WSM is also a great result, as is winning a European Championship. I have always wondered if her technique would hold up as she got older, and it isn't. She is going to have to rework a few of her jumps but it isn't impossible; Mao and Sasha were both able to do it. She is now out of the spotlight with few expectations so she can hopefully be able to work on her jumps and regain the hunger she exhibited last season.

noskates

Record Breaker
Actually trying to compare any 2 lady skaters is like apples and oranges. I see nothing to compare Yulia with either Sasha or Irina as far as style. As far as competitive careers, Yulia is too young for that comparison. I'm still hoping, as I said upthread, that her nerves and whatever pressure she's feeling will abate somewhat in the next season. I think she's the most exciting skater to come out of Russia in a very, very long time.

Manitou

Medalist
It appears both careers will be similar. Except Sasha was present on the main stage for several years, Yulia only one. But overall accomplishments very similar. Both with class and very inspiring, but both underachievers according to popular expectations.
Both very vulnerable to pressure and incapable of handling expectations and nerves. Both lacking unbreakable warrior mentality. Sasha was actually much stronger than Yulia.

To me it's this: if you are having a mental breakdown, like Yulia this season, then it shows you allow breakdowns. It shows a fundamental flaw in your character. And it's not a good sign for the future. Injured foot or knee may heal, the personality and mental weakness won't.

I hope Yulia proves me wrong, though...

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It appears both careers will be similar. Except Sasha was present on the main stage for several years, Yulia only one. But overall accomplishments very similar. Both with class and very inspiring, but both underachievers according to popular expectations.
Both very vulnerable to pressure and incapable of handling expectations and nerves. Both lacking unbreakable warrior mentality. Sasha was actually much stronger than Yulia.

To me it's this: if you are having a mental breakdown, like Yulia this season, then it shows you allow breakdowns. It shows a fundamental flaw in your character. And it's not a good sign for the future. Injured foot or knee may heal, the personality and mental weakness won't.

I hope Yulia proves me wrong, though...

Let's remember that Julia is 16 and at that age Sasha had accomplished nothing notable. It is impossible to say what will happen. She could as easily win multiple WCs as she could never achieve anything like she did last year.

Manitou

Medalist
So let me put it this way: it might be wrong, but here is the way I see how Yulia is presenting herself.
I was charmed by Yulia last year. So I followed her on different media to see how she is preparing for the next season. Just to see what the person who inspired me really is.
And what did I see? For the whole summer there were updates of some very delicate princess with some kittens or puppies, unbearable cuteness, always lonely, always nostalgic, always withdrawn, always sad with the nauseatingly cute puppy in her arms. I understand she is young girl, but she is a world class athlete too. Did I see that athlete? Strong minded, strong in body and heart? No, I saw a pale, nostalgic and lonely princess on a pea.

Look at other sports. The girls her age in soccer, tennis, skiing, swimming, volleyball, anything, are made of steel. Steel to the bone and mind. They are unbreakable. This is what true sport is about. Being a warrior of steel. Yes, you can be artistic, but it's also an athletic competition. There is no room for fainting and squeaking Snow Whites here.

The impressions could be misleading, I could be drawing wrong conclusions. But Yulia's complete meltdown at the end of the season proved my stand even stronger.

Last edited:
It appears both careers will be similar...

To me it's this: if you are having a mental breakdown, like Yulia this season, then it shows you allow breakdowns. It shows a fundamental flaw in your character.

Succumbing to performance anxiety is not a character flaw.

On the other hand, if you look at their accomplishments, scaled for age…

Julia turns 17 in June, 2015. Sasha turned 17 in October, 2001. Up to that time, Sasha’s competitive record was:

2000 Junior Worlds, 6th; 2000 Sparkassen Cup, 5th, 2000 Cup of Russia, 4th.

Here's Julia's: 2012 Junior Worlds, 1st; 2013 Junior Worlds, 2nd; 2012 Cup of China, 2nd; 2012 TEB, 3rd; 2013 Skate Canada, 1st; 2013 Rostlecom Cup, 1st; 2013 Grand Prix Final, 2nd; 2014 Europeans, 1st; 2014 Worlds, 2nd; 2014 Olympics, team 1st, individual 5th.

And in the current “disaster” of a season: Cup of China, 2nd; TEB, 2nd; Grand Prix Final, 5th.

Ssaha and Julia, do have one thing in common, though – they each charmed their President.

http://onlineathens.com/images/021002/bush.jpg

Get in there and fight! http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/10/article-2555816-1B55450900000578-839_634x721.jpg

evangeline

Record Breaker
So let me put it this way: it might be wrong, but here is the way I see how Yulia is presenting herself.
I was charmed by Yulia last year. So I followed her on different media to see how she is preparing for the next season. Just to see what the person who inspired me really is.
And what did I see? For the whole summer there were updates of some very delicate princess with some kittens or puppies, unbearable cuteness, always lonely, always nostalgic, always withdrawn, always sad with the nauseatingly cute puppy in her arms. I understand she is young girl, but she is a world class athlete too. Did I see that athlete? Strong minded, strong in body and heart? No, I saw a pale, nostalgic and lonely princess on a pea.

Look at other sports. The girls her age in soccer, tennis, skiing, swimming, volleyball, anything, are made of steel. Steel to the bone and mind. They are unbreakable. This is what true sport is about. Being a warrior of steel. Yes, you can be artistic, but it's also an athletic competition. There is no room for fainting and squeaking Snow Whites here.

The impressions could be misleading, I could be drawing wrong conclusions. But Yulia's complete meltdown at the end of the season proved my stand even stronger.

So....by your logic, Julia's instagram would need to have photos of her pumping iron and welding steel in order for her to convince you that she is mentally tough.

Also, do you follow other skaters on social media?

Elena Radionova's instagram has photos of cute chicks and birds, posing with pretty flowers, posing with a nauseatingly cute puppy, playing with a cute puppy, and even more cute puppy photos. Are you going to accuse Elena Radionova of having a mental breakdown and having some character flaw soon too?

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao Asada is one of the greatest competitors we have seen in ladies skating. She is one of my favorite skaters ever. Just for the sake of comparison take a look at her scores in the Vancouver Olympics. She scored a 205 to land a silver medal. The following season in her first GP event she scored 133 and ended up in 8th place at NHK. She improved her next outing at TEB that season to 148 and landed in 5th. Can you image if she had quit or her fans dumped on her and given up. We would have missed so many truly awe inspiring skates. In fact I think some of her most loyal fans will name their favorite skate from her coming after these events.

I don't know if Yulia can bounce back the same way Mao did and I'm not sure if its a fair comparison. Only time will tell us these answers. But as one of Yulia's fans I can say that even if she never touches competitive ice again I'm more than proud of her and don't consider her to be a let down. In fact I think we have already got far more from her than we can expect and more than many will ever achieve. Most importantly her skating has touched a lot of people and brought them into our weird little world of knife boots and drama. I will always support her even if she never podiums in another event.

Last edited:

dasani

On the Ice
So....by your logic, Julia's instagram would have photos of her pumping iron and welding steel in order for her to convince you that she is mentally tough.

Also, do you follow other skaters on social media?

Elena Radionova's instagram has photos of cute chicks and birds, posing with pretty flowers, posing with a nauseatingly cute puppy, playing with a cute puppy, and even more cute puppy photos. Are you going to accuse Elena Radionova of having a mental breakdown and having some character flaw soon too?

This is a very interesting perspective (re: mental toughness = instagram pics) I must say :scratch:....maybe Kovtun should start posting baby kittens and puppies on his instagram to mellow his image a bit :think:

Sorry...I know I'm off topic...but since now we're talking about what athletes should post on social media...thought I might as well....:slink:

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
^^ I don't follow Elena. And I stopped following Yulia because I can't stand cute puppies. When she proves she is an athlete then I will renew my interest.
Anyway, I used to be a youth coach, then a referee, I also photograph sports for hobby. To me sport is a strength in body and mind. It's toughness and fighting. Even when you lose. There is completely nothing wrong with losing. But I can't stand meltdowns. To me it's unacceptable, to me it disqualifies an athlete.
Sometimes it strengthens, but often it brings you down. We will see what it will do to Yulia.

OK, I am too rough. I am too rough to Yulia. And I talk too much... :)

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ I don't follow Elena. And I stopped following Yulia because I can't stand cute puppies. When she proves she is an athlete then I will renew my interest.
Anyway, I used to be a youth coach, then a referee, I also photograph sports for hobby. To me sport is a strength in body and mind. It's toughness and fighting. Even when you lose. I can't stand meltdowns. To me it's unacceptable, to me it disqualifies an athlete.
Sometimes it strengthens, but often it brings you down. We will see what it will do to Yulia.
Anyway, I talk too much. :)

Oh my. I'm afraid we won't see eye to eye much but in the event you missed any of Yulia's warrior like photos this summer here is a quick one of her whooping on the guys in her group. She seems to enjoy his suffering and looks quite proud and tough ;)

https://pp.vk.me/c625129/v625129515/3212/-svHa6rXZyU.jpg

Oh my. I'm afraid we won't see eye to eye much but in the event you missed any of Yulia's warrior like photos this summer here is a quick one of her whooping on the guys in her group. She seems to enjoy his suffering and looks quite proud and tough ;)

https://pp.vk.me/c625129/v625129515/3212/-svHa6rXZyU.jpg

Ha! I can beat that! Here is Michelle Kwan with her roller derby team. (Lose the pink helmet, sister.)

http://cdn.vanillaforums.com/pennyarcade.vanillaforums.com/editor/sn/d415u4qr0eej.png

grantrf98

On the Ice
But as one of Yulia's fans I can say that even if she never touches competitive ice again I'm more than proud of her and don't consider her to be a let down. In fact I think we have already got far more from her than we can expect and more than many will ever achieve. Most importantly her skating has touched a lot of people and brought them into our weird little world of knife boots and drama. I will always support her even if she never podiums in another event.

I am one of those people:) I may have jumped on the Yulia bandwagon back in February but I'm never jumping off...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Anyway, I used to be a youth coach, then a referee, I also photograph sports for hobby. To me sport is a strength in body and mind. It's toughness and fighting. Even when you lose. There is completely nothing wrong with losing. But I can't stand meltdowns. To me it's unacceptable, to me it disqualifies an athlete.

OK, I am too rough. I am too rough to Yulia. And I talk too much... :)
Unfortunately, that means every single figure skater in history has been "disqualified" in your mind. Even the greatest, toughest champions of all time have had meltdowns. Yagudin had one skate where he fell on a spiral, and another where he fell on a spin. Plushenko had skates where he fell 2-3 times and failed every quad he attempted. Only a month after her Olympic win, Yuna Kim delivered an SP that left her in seventh place and an LP with a fall.

They are some of the fiercest competitors the sport has ever seen. But they can't be perfect all the time.

minze

Medalist
Mao Asada is one of the greatest competitors we have seen in ladies skating. She is one of my favorite skaters ever. Just for the sake of comparison take a look at her scores in the Vancouver Olympics. She scored a 205 to land a silver medal. The following season in her first GP event she scored 133 and ended up in 8th place at NHK. She improved her next outing at TEB that season to 148 and landed in 5th. Can you image if she had quit or her fans dumped on her and given up. We would have missed so many truly awe inspiring skates. In fact I think some of her most loyal fans will name their favorite skate from her coming after these events.

I don't know if Yulia can bounce back the same way Mao did and I'm not sure if its a fair comparison. Only time will tell us these answers. But as one of Yulia's fans I can say that even if she never touches competitive ice again I'm more than proud of her and don't consider her to be a let down. In fact I think we have already got far more from her than we can expect and more than many will ever achieve. Most importantly her skating has touched a lot of people and brought them into our weird little world of knife boots and drama. I will always support her even if she never podiums in another event.

It is absolutly a fair comparison. And I agree. I for one expect Yulia to comeback stronger. Last year people were calling her unstopable, now people are predicting het demise:confused: