Will Mao Asada Make It to the 2018 Games? | Golden Skate

Will Mao Asada Make It to the 2018 Games?

andyjo24

Medalist
As everyone knows, there are so many talented young Japanese skaters: Marin Honda, Wabaka Higuchi, Yuna Shraiwa, Yuna Aoki, Kaori Sakamoto, Yuka Nagai, Mai Mihara, etc. Plus, there are several skaters already competing on the senior circuit (i.e., Satoko Miyahara, Rika Hongo) who are already close to or have surpassed Mao Asada in terms of score.

Now the question I would like to ask is: Will it be easy for Mao Asada to qualify for the next Olympic Games in Pyeongchang 2018?

I know people might call me crazy for asking this question because Mao is a legend, and it's extremely difficult to imagine Mao not being there, given how beautiful and soft her skating is, but I'm trying to be realistic. Wouldn't it be much more difficult for Mao to make it this time, considering how she's facing consistency/ UR issues most of the time and the extremely high level of skating in Japan? :palmf:

I just wanted to hear your opinions.

Last edited:
My opinion is that she will be like Michelle Kwan in 2006. No matter what, she is "Who She Is" and would not be denied a spot on the Olympic team if she wants to compete.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It will certainly be much more difficult for her. Satoko and Wakaba have already beaten her and Rika seems to be coming into her element, so a team without Mao is completely possible.

Marin is a question mark -- she had so-so performances at Nationals, but then won junior worlds.

But Mao could also get back into peak shape too.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's painful to think about,(so many good skaters and only a few spots) but I think Mao can get back to the top of her form if she is indeed aiming for the Olympics.
Wakaba and Marin are real threats to her place on the team though. Not to mention Rika and Yuka. It's really to early to say.

andyjo24

Medalist
My opinion is that she will be like Michelle Kwan in 2006. No matter what, she is "Who She Is" and would not be denied a spot on the Olympic team if she wants to compete.

I agree with your opinion, but what would happen if all the Japanese ladies were to deliver at 2017 Nationals, and Mao ended up being 6th or something (also considering she had a subpar GP). Would that be fair to the skaters who finished ahead of her?

But yeah, anything can happen. There are too many different kinds of situations that can occur.

andyjo24

Medalist
It's painful to think about,(so many good skaters and only a few spots) but I think Mao can get back to the top of her form if she is indeed aiming for the Olympics.
Wakaba and Marin are real threats to her place on the team though. Not to mention Rika and Yuka. It's really to early to say.

I also can't imagine Satoko being off the team. Her consistency is just :shocked::eeking:

sarama

Medalist
I think that if she isn't disastrous next season and approaching Pyeongchang, Japanese Fed will let her go, and deservedly so. If she isn't at a decent level (likely not to make top 10), probably she will be the first one to step aside. I really hope she makes it, to show the whole world how beautiful skating can be, but especially for herself, to not have any regrets at all about her career

I agree with your opinion, but what would happen if all the Japanese ladies were to deliver at 2017 Nationals, and Mao ended up being 6th or something (also considering she had a subpar GP). Would that be fair to the skaters who finished ahead of her?

I think in that situation Mao would graciously step aside and not try to call in any past favors. Maybe she and Yuna could do an exhibition duet in Pyongyang that would put a satisfying cap on that era. (Assuming that Yuna does not come back to competition, too. :) )

andyjo24

Medalist
I think in that situation Mao would graciously step aside and not try to call in any past favors. Maybe she and Yuna could do an exhibition duet in Pyongyang that would put a satisfying cap on that era. (Assuming that Yuna does not come back to competition, too. :) )

OMG. That would be AWESOME!!:love:

But btw, I don't want Yuna and Mao performing in Pyongyang, the North Korean capital. I think Pyeongchang in South Korea would be much safer. ;):biggrin:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think great champions know how to get where they want to be. So if Mao truly genuinely wants to go through training and competing, she will succeed.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker

Now I'm imagining Velma and Roxie duet from Chicago and wanting this to happen!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Mao Asada is a legend in her own right and I don't think whether she makes it to the 2018 games or not that will ever change. With that said, I think chances of her being able to make it if she wants to do so are very high.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
A legend? :think:

Anyway, isn't it too early to tell whether she can make it to the 2018 Olympics since we can't be sure about even how she would do in the next season? Since Kostner is planning to return to competition, I just expect the two veterans to compete together which will be fun. The Olympics will come in 2 years (plenty a long period), so anything can happen. Ashley is just one year younger than Mao, but look at this year's Worlds. I'll reserve my prediction until 2017-18 Japanese Nationals.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
A legend? :think:

I certainly think so. While she doesn't have an OGM, and while some seasons have certainly been better for her than others, she is a five time World medalist (3 of those being gold), an Olympic silver medalist, 3 time 4CC champion and 6 time 4CC medalist, 4 time GPF champion and 6 time GPF medalist, has won 23 GP medals, has won Junior Worlds and the JGPF. She remains the only woman to consistently (or at least repeatedly if you want to argue it's not consistent) land a triple axel in international competition period, and is indisputably the only woman to land it repeatedly over multiple years. Her career has also been very long for a ladies skater, spanning over 10 years, over ALL of which she had at least good competitive results. She's also known for her artistry and skating skills. To me if she doesn't qualify as a legend I honestly don't see who does, and IMO to argue against it you'd basically have to believe that an Olympic Gold Medal is necessary for legend status, which I frankly just don't.

ioanna

Record Breaker
A lot can happen in 2 years. In 2014, after Mao took a break and Akiko retired, Kanako Murakami was the top Japanese lady, but not for long. Satoko Miyahara was waiting right around the corner (3rd at 2012 Nationals, 4th at 2013 Nationals) and Rika Hongo came almost out of nowhere, making the GPF, winning silver at Nationals and bronze at 4CC.

This season Rika hasn't been as consistent; Mao beat her at Nationals and Worlds (you can also count Cup Of China but she almost won over Mao there). Satoko continued to aim high after winning silver at Worlds (she only fell once all season, never popped a single jump) and I expect her to continue improving because she knows what she needs to fix and has already mentioned she plans on adding two types of 3-3 combinations in her FS next season. She is also practicing a 3A.

Wakaba Higuchi will probably join them next season and I wouldn't be surprised if she were named on the senior Worlds team if she manages to make the podium again. Marin Honda and Yuna Shiraiwa will stay in juniors for now but Marin is very inconsistent and has had a lot of ups and downs this season. Yuka Nagai is (unfortunately) also very inconsistent.

It's very hard to predict but I think Mao will still be competitive enough to aim for a podium finish at the 2017 Nationals.

Icey

Record Breaker
I won't be surprised if she announces her retirement before next season starts.

andyjo24

Medalist

But didn't she commit to staying until the next Olympics right before Worlds?

I'm pretty sure Mao will keep to her word, barring any serious injuries.

ioanna

Record Breaker

She won't. She has already stated that she will continue her career and will skate for herself. She is aiming to go to the Olympics but is also aware that she will face strong competition.