Merjan

On the Ice
Gordeeva / Grinkov,
Savchenko / Massot,
Berezhnaya / Sikharulidze
and Shen / Zhao

YagsFan

On the Ice
Yes! I loved Hartshorn and Zweiding too:) I recently added the Christopher Columbus song to my music list solely because of their iconic skate to it (where Anita was the ship crossing the ocean to the New World). Great stuff.

Dumb question from Skater Boy's list above: who are B and T? ( I really just can't deal with the letter designations---the most obvious ones just escape me!)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^ It isn't a dumb question. When posters use only initials, obviously they think it's obvious who they're talking about,:dbana: but I think it's inconsiderate. Some of us adore pairs but don't have the most encyclopedic knowledge... or memories!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
^^^ It isn't a dumb question. When posters use only initials, obviously they think it's obvious who they're talking about,:dbana: but I think it's inconsiderate. Some of us adore pairs but don't have the most encyclopedic knowledge... or memories!

I usually look up what others posted with full names to identify, b/c people tend to pick from a fairly narrow pool. :)

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I usually look up what others posted with full names to identify, b/c people tend to pick from a fairly narrow pool. :)

LOL, that has never worked for me. I must get stuck on the letters or something.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
4 Teams: Shen & Zhao, Gordeeva & Grinkov, Mishkuteniok & Dmitriev, Sui & Han

Why--Musicality, relationship, personality, connection with the audience, story-telling. (And some incredible throw twists, original elements, & technical difficulty into the bargain).

YagsFan

On the Ice

Thanks for that, skylark! I really do have a terrible time following discussions involving pairs and dance due to the common use of just initials. Even when it turns out that a pair being discussed is one I do follow/like, I often just can't id them from the initials. I think it's just that I don't tend to think of them that way, so it's almost like I'm trying to translate the "name". In my own mind, I always think of either the full last names or sometimes first names. Oh well . . . (Still don't know who B & T are----where is SkaterBoy?, lol.

fgrsk8ingfan

Spectator
Elena & Anton - they were just beautiful and as Peggy said "they have no weaknesses and are exquisitely matched"

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I actually tried that in this case, but still couldn't id a B & T pair!

I turned to Wikipedia.... is it Sabine Baeß / Tassilo Thierbach?? They represented East Germany in the late 70's early 80's, won a bunch of Worlds medals, including the gold in 1982.

YagsFan

On the Ice
I turned to Wikipedia.... is it Sabine Baeß / Tassilo Thierbach?? They represented East Germany in the late 70's early 80's, won a bunch of Worlds medals, including the gold in 1982.

Thank you, Rollerblade. Must admit I never heard of them---or if I did back in the day, I've forgotten about them. I guess they must have been pretty good according to you bio info.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Mishkuteniok & Dmitriev
Gordeeva and Grinkov
Berezhnaya / Sikharulidze
Brasseur/Eisler
Sale/Pelletier
Bechke/Petrov

... crumbs, writing this I am realising that pairs is the discipline I have least liked since 6.0 and it used to be one of my favourites.