Your favorite "war horse" program? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Your favorite "war horse" program?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I wonder when someone, if ever, will skate to War Horse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_KRLNdDP84&list=PLBD584EA7F6A87A61
:laugh2:

I have never heard of the film before, but it was surprisingly (just to my knowledge) directed by Steven Spielberg. I might've been too busy at that time. The soundtrack is nice by the way.

It's a syrupy movie that tries to be a throwback to the 1930's/40's kind of style in many ways. Worth seeing once but no rush. "Dartmoor 1912" could be a great Short Program, the rest of the soundtrack is pretty stereotypical.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't mind a warhorse program from opera-musical-ballet-film if the music is little known/interesting like this from "Carmen", unique in that it begins with flamenco guitarists practicing a signature aria then fading to opera sung by Regina Resnick (arguably the best version of this aria ever done...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdASAWros2g

Would be interesting and different to see this used as a skating program

Seems like this would be hard to skate to, but it's VERY beautiful. Love the Paco de Lucia flamenco part too.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Seems like this would be hard to skate to, but it's VERY beautiful. Love the Paco de Lucia flamenco part too.

Thank you so much fr your insight; this probably would be difficult but I sort of just threw it in here as an example.....would like to see something along these lines ...love the guitar fading into full aria. BTW I adore Carmen and never tire of it in any form. Also, I've traveled to Barcelona a couple of times in my long life and was so taken by the prevalence of flamenco in daily life there... music was everywhere ... wonderful

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Afternoon of a Faun -- Janet Lynn
Don Quixote -- John Curry (1976 Olympics)
Tosca -- Michelle Kwan (2004 Nationals performance)
Les Miz -- Yuna Kim (2013 Worlds performance) (personal quirky fave: Grant Hochstein, 2016 :) )
Turandot -- Shen & Zhao (2003 Worlds) , Shizuka Arakawa (2004 Worlds)
Romeo and Juliet (Rota) -- Sasha Cohen
Aranjuez -- Michelle Kwan (2003 Worlds)
Fledermaus -- Davis and White

I have probably watched Grant's Les Miz at least 50 times! What a skate! And at the end when he rounds the corner and is getting ready to do his steps and he takes that BIG BREATH as if to say, ok I can do this! And then of course the audience went nuts cheering. OMG. I'll never forget it. And there was no lull in the program for him to have a tiny rest period. He just kept going, going, going. Thank you Grant! :yahoo:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you so much fr your insight; this probably would be difficult but I sort of just threw it in here as an example.....would like to see something along these lines ...love the guitar fading into full aria. BTW I adore Carmen and never tire of it in any form. Also, I've traveled to Barcelona a couple of times in my long life and was so taken by the prevalence of flamenco in daily life there... music was everywhere ... wonderful

I have to see if I can find my Paco de Lucia cassettes! Ok, we know those are a little old! Have been to Spain 3 times but have never made it to Barcelona. Soon though, I hope! Love flamenco, and we have a wonderful group in Chicago that I have seen several times and enjoyed very much. www.seechicagodance.com/event/duende-flamenco Next show is Aug. 20.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoutout to Chock and Bates for their 2014 US Nats skate to Les Mis.

It was, of course, overshadowed by Davis and White, but that was a superb performance that caught me off guard... because I was (and am) so sick of the music.

I'm old enough to remember T/D skating to Bolero. At the time, it was daring and innovative. Almost shocking. The exact opposite of a War Horse. It was electric.

Really and truly, that music should be retired, because I think everyone who skates to it is a disappointment compared to the memories I hold so dear.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I have to see if I can find my Paco de Lucia cassettes! Ok, we know those are a little old! Have been to Spain 3 times but have never made it to Barcelona. Soon though, I hope! Love flamenco, and we have a wonderful group in Chicago that I have seen several times and enjoyed very much. www.seechicagodance.com/event/duende-flamenco Next show is Aug. 20.

Barcelona and the islands!!!!!:luv17:
The piece I posted is from Carlos Saura's 1983 film "Carmen" OST ... I have that ST on VINYL !! Talk about o!d... Hah!
Wish I could get a copy of the film... On DVD or another way but it doesn't seem to be available in USA format. I don't have a multiregional player.
Paco de Lucia is featured in most of Saura's flamenco films, Blood Wedding, El Amor Brujo, Flamenco (tribute to authentic dance)...
Love their name Duende Flamenco; brings back memories. My sister owns a Mustang named Duende (a name I suggested); she bought him from one of those awful BLM roundup auctions a couple of years ago (a practice she and I lobby to end every chance we get!!)... Skinny little thing just over a year old.... With loving care & gentle training he is now magnificent and sweet tempered, loved by all - but I digress... Sorry. :eek:topic:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I must admit that Scheherazade is by far my least favorite War Horse of them all. Followed very closely by the ultimate snoozefest Bolero...:yawn: Give me Carmen or The Swan any day of the week.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Carmen: Virtue and Moir
Scheherazade: Davis and White
Swan Lake: Oksana Baiul
Dark Eyes: Sasha Cohen
Four Seasons: Patrick Chan
Rachmaninoff: Mao
Rhapsody in Blue: Ilia Kulik (minus the giraffe suit)
Godfather: Plushy
James Bond: Yuna
Concerto in F: Yuna
Schnidlers List: Julia Lipnitskaia
Ave Maria: Carolina Kostner
Bolero: Torvill and Dean (well, duh)
Riverdance: Bourne and Kraatz, honourable mention to Jason Brown
Michael Jackson: Bourne and Kraatz
Moulin Rouge: Ashley Wagner
Hey Big Spender/Sweet Charity: Kaetlyn Osmond
Sleeping Beauty: Gracie Gold
Maria de Buenos Aires: Weaver and Poje
Gone With the Wind: Alaine Chartrand (2016 nationals edition)

POTO: Just kill it with fire!!!!

I don't think fire would be enough. I would add a silver bullet AND a stake through the heart. Maybe two.

:)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Why don't we have a thread of compling all warhorse musics in the figure skating references as the subject appears every year? :)

I've complied only POTO just for fun (there are much more than the list though), but you see, the music was more popularly used in pairs than in men.

Complete POTO list
The Phantom of the Opera

Pairs:
Kristy Sargeant & Kris Wirtz (CAN) 1993-94 FS
Kyoko Ina & John Zimmerman (USA) 1998-99, 1999-2000 FS
Pang Qing & Tong Jian (CHN) 2004-05 SP, 2005-06 & 2006-07 FS
Jessica Rose Paetsch & Drew Meekins (USA) 2009-10 FS
Kylie Duarte and Colin Grafton (USA) 2010-11 FS
Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir (USA) 2011-12 SP & 2012-13 SP
Klara Kadlecova & Petr Bidar (CZE) 2011-12 FS
Alexandra Rodriguez & Aritz Maestu (ESP) 2011-12 FS
Nicole Della Monica & Matteo Guarise (ITA) 2012-13 FS
Caydee Denney & John Coughlin (USA) 2012-13 FS & 2013-14 FS
Daniel Montalbano & Evgeni Krasnopolski (ISR) 2012-13 FS
Xiaoyu Yu & Yang Jin (CHN) 2013-14 FS (junior)
Caitlin Yankowskas & Hamish Gaman (GBR) 2014-15 FS
Miriam Ziegler & Severin Kiefer (AUT) 2014-15 FS
Bianca Manacorda & Niccolo Macci (ITA) 2014-15 SP
Maria Vigalova & Egor Zakroev (RUS) 2014-15 FS
Natalja Zabijako & Yuri Larionov (RUS) 2014-15 SP
Tarah Kayne & Daniel O'Shea (USA) 2015-16 FS

Ice Dance:
Margarita Drobiazko & Povilas Vanagas (LTU) 2005-06 FD
Kaitlyn Weaver & Andrew Poje (CAN) 2009-10 FD
Meryl Davis & Charlie White (USA) 2009-10 FD
Kristina Gorshkova/Vitali Butikov (RUS) 2009-10 FD
Katarina Konickova and Matej Lang (CZE) 2010-11 FD
Victoria Sinitsina & Ruslan Zhiganshin (RUS) 2011-12 FD (junior)
Szilia Magyar & Daniel Illes (HUN) 2012-13 FD
Nicole Orford & Thomas Williams (CAN) 2013-14 FD
Ekaterina Riazanova & Ilia Tkachenko (RUS) 2013-14 FD
Lorraine McNamara & Quinn Carpenter (USA) 2014-15 FD (junior)

Ladies:
Marina Kielmann (GER) 1993-94 FS
Kiira Korpi (FIN) 2006-07 & 2007-08 FS
Viktoria Helgesson (SWE) 2008-09 SP
Yukari Nakano (JPN) 2009-10 SP
Manouk Gijsman (NED) 2009-10 FS
Ashley Cain (USA) 2010-11 FS
Fumiya Itai (JPN) 2010-11 FS
Diane Szmiett (CAN) 2010-11 FS
Elene Gedevanishvili (GE0) 2010-11 & 2011-12 FS
Margot Krisberg (ISR) 2011-12 FS
Akiko Suzuki (JPN) 2013-14 FS
Giada Russo (ITA) 2013-14 SP
Morgan Flood (USA) 2013-14 FS
Caroline Zhang (USA) 2013-14 & 2014-15 SP
Kanako Murakami (JPN) 2014-15 SP & FS
Gracie Gold (USA) 2014-15 FS
Aimee Buchanan (ISR) 2014-15 FS

Men:
Daisuke Takahashi (JPN) 2006-07 FS
Patrick Chan (CAN) 2009-10 & 2010-11 FS
Kim Lucine (MON) 2010-11 SP
Armen Agaia (GEO) 2011-12 FS
Ivan Bariev (RUS) 2012-13 FS
Ryuichi Kihara (JPN) 2012-13 SP
Panagiotis Polizoakis (GER) 2013-14 FS (junior)
Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN) 2014-15 FS
June Hyoung Lee (KOR) 2014-15 FS
Michael Christian Martinez (PHI) 2014-15 FS
Takahito Mura (JPN) 2014-15 FS
Ronald Lam (HKG) 2014-15 FS
Alain Sandraz (USA) 2014-15 FS (novice)

Pro and ex programs
Robin Cousins (GBR) 1990 Pro Worlds
Brian Boitano (USA) 1990 Pro Worlds
Radka Kovarikova & Rene Novotny (CZE) 1995-96 Professional
Alexei Urmanov (RUS) 2000 Ice Wars: Four the World Competition
Yuna Kim & Stephan Lambiel - 2008 Festa on Ice, opening

Bravo!!!!!!!!!! A Great Idea For a List! I hope you keep it updated.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Looking at the complete POTO list, it became warhorse only recently...Personally, it became warhorse for me in the 2014/15 season (I'm quite tolerant to warhorses, you know).

But yeah, kill it with fire. I don't like the music itself, I could listen to Rachnaminoff and Sherezade all day, but POTO is horrible.