Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season | Page 196 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Plushenko is only praising those who deliver big jumps. Had he ever complimented Patrick? No. When Yuzu won silver in CoC14 with 5 falls Plushenko's first reaction was- how the hell was that possible? Only few hours later he got the news on what exactly caused Yuzu to fall and his message was compeletly different. This is what Plushenko is all about. Jumps come first, always.
End of off-topic.

mcq

Record Breaker
Yuzu is free of that resentment towards anyone. It's probably easier to be apprecitive of your rivals being on the top and secure in the knowledge that if he doesn't screw up himself, he's capable of defeating them. But I must say I really appreciate it about Yuzuru that he can see the merits if his rivals and speak about them because thet's a great way to keep oneself from getting complacent and to learn.

Well to be fair, I think most of Japanese skaters tend to be like these. He is always appreciative towards others' skating regardless of his placement though. He gave credits when it is due, whether he win or lose, and this is a trait shared by other Japanese skaters too. I think Dai, Oda, Shoma, etc are also generally like this.
Actually, I think current skaters in general "refrain" from making negative opinions about their competitor/other skaters. They don't necessarily praise but they will be neutral. Media asked almost every single skater/coach about their comment on Hanyu though, especially post his world records, even ladies skater like Medvdedeva and Radionova. Let's just say Artur's comments stand out among others :biggrin:

Last edited:

lappo

Final Flight
Actually, I think current skaters in general "refrain" from making negative opinions about their competitor/other skaters. They don't necessarily praise but they will be neutral. Media asked almost every single skater/coach about their comment on Hanyu though, especially post his world records, even ladies skater like Medvdedeva and Radionova. Let's just say Artur's comments stand out among others :biggrin:

The good old Yags vs. Plushy days are gone! Now it's mostly fans pitting skaters against each other to create some drama...Artur comments pale in comparison to some actual Plush/Yags pearls!

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
The good old Yags vs. Plushy days are gone! Now it's mostly fans pitting skaters against each other to create some drama...Artur comments pale in comparison to some actual Plush/Yags pearls!

lol the most ridiculous one from Mishin was that Yag/Tat hired sport psychologist Rudolf Zaiganov not for solving psychological issues of Yags but to bewitch plushenko during 2002 Olympic. Proving that Plushy fell after his fixed eye stare, I have shown that video to my friends last year , found it luckily, they were shocked. :rofl: But comparing to Russian 80s 90s ice dance dramas even Yag vs Plushy are pale :biggrin:
:hijacked:

Fayruza

Match Penalty
Thank goodness! I wouldn't like seeing Yuzuru involved in such brawls. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
lol the most ridiculous one from Mishin was that Yag/Tat hired sport psychologist Rudolf Zaiganov not for solving psychological issues of Yags but to bewitch plushenko during 2002 Olympic. Proving that Plushy fell after his fixed eye stare, I have shown that video to my friends last year , found it luckily, they were shocked. :rofl: But comparing to Russian 80s 90s ice dance dramas even Yag vs Plushy are pale :biggrin:
:hijacked:
I remember that, at one point I just wonder if Mishin belived so or he was just trolling the media

mcq

Record Breaker

I think I remember a fluff piece of that during 2002 olympics : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-08R7-C2KyQ
Yags : "We kind of hate each other" :laugh2:

You know I am glad that even though Yuzuru and Javier maybe are not that close outside skating, their rivalry is still friendly and they still pretty much respect each other :) I hope this will stay regardless of their results.

Last edited:

Plumededragon

Medalist
This conversation, seriously... I have a hard time to see if some of you are just sarcastic or serious. Mishin not having any respect for Yuzu's skills? And not even believing that Plushenko is capable of complimenting Yuzu for real or that he's doing only it for shows in Japan?? :laugh:
At least, thanks goodness the days of Yagu/Plushy are long gone. I don't think there's anything likely nowadays. At least, when it comes to Yuzu. Hopefully there won't be again. But I know... anything can happen in this sport. Especially with fans who wayyy too much imagination...

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
This conversation, seriously... I have a hard time to see if some of you are just sarcastic or serious. Mishin not having any respect for Yuzu's skills? And not even believing that Plushenko is capable of complimenting Yuzu for real or that he's doing only it for shows in Japan?? :laugh:
At least, thanks goodness the days of Yagu/Plushy are long gone. I don't think there's anything likely nowadays. At least, when it comes to Yuzu. Hopefully there won't be again. But I know... anything can happen in this sport. Especially with fans who wayyy too much imagination...
You have a very short memory. Denis Ten versus Yuzu, sounds familiar? Yuzu let go, Denis is still making it a hit in his interviews. Also, Patrick is hardly controlling what he says when things go wrong for him. All of this is no way a product of imagination.:dev3:

Biellmann

Match Penalty
I love the armchair psychology. :biggrin:

I think most of Artur's attitude comes from resentment about how his and Yuzuru's respective careers developed. They competed as juniors, they started out practically from the same place (Worlds bronze) and yet Yuzu shot to the top like a comet whereas he fell like a stone. It makes him see all Yuzuru's faults and none of merits. The more successful Yuzuru is, the stronger the resentment and the stronger the blinders. Because I can't really explain his words if they were said after the 2015 GPF. On the other hand, Patrick was someone far ahead of him from the beginning so it's easier to appreciate his skating. (It also seems common that if you resent someone, you pick someone very different as your positive example - and I think this is the case here because Arthur's skating is/was nothing like Patrick's.)

Yuzu is free of that resentment towards anyone. It's probably easier to be apprecitive of your rivals being on the top and secure in the knowledge that if he doesn't screw up himself, he's capable of defeating them. But I must say I really appreciate it about Yuzuru that he can see the merits if his rivals and speak about them because thet's a great way to keep oneself from getting complacent and to learn.

This is something that really baffles me. Is it sour grapes for Mishin? Yuzuru's a technical wizard, able to do stuff Mishin's students can only dream of. He's loved by the audience (not only Japanese) and commentators which implies considerable performance skills. Or is it realy the fact that one of these comentators is Tarasova? :laugh: Because how can he pass that attitude to his pupils? "Listen, kid, Hanyu is nothing special. Don't be like him. Don't do those +3GOE jumps that judges love. Don't have the audience going crazy for you. Don't win all those gold medals." :scratch:

Yuzuru had so many rivals as a junior and novice ect. most of them were left behind, but Yuzuru..... i often wonder how do these ex-rivals feel, when they see Yuzuru's success. But that's life, right? :confused2:

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
You have a very short memory. Denis Ten versus Yuzu, sounds familiar? Yuzu let go, Denis is still making it a hit in his interviews. Also, Patrick is hardly controlling what he says when things go wrong for him. All of this is no way a product of imagination.:dev3:

Good thing Yuzuru doesn't let himself get caught up in that stuff :) As Brian said, he's too good to let stuff like that bother him. And he's got much more important things to worry about (like landing everything in that insane layout of his and avoiding injuries :biggrin: )

With Plushy and Yags, it kind of went both ways, they both made comments on each other. But if one side drops it (like Yuzuru did) then it doesn't become that big of an issue, at least for me, it gives me the idea that the skaters don't straight up hate each other. The thing with Denis was blown out of proportion, but the people online and the media who kept going on and on with it played a part in it, too. And I think Patrick has sort of dropped it too, at least in regards of speaking directly about Yuzu, his complains about the focus on quads could apply to many skaters in the field.

mcq

Record Breaker
cup of russia actually :laugh:

:eeking::eek::eekn:

Oh ahahah I never thought it would be an actual competition. I think it is brave for the kid to use Seimei music since it is still very fresh in people's minds and it is so tightly and well-associated with Yuzuru, kudos to him for that. Most skaters probably will avoid using this music due to that reason. :biggrin:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Good thing Yuzuru doesn't let himself get caught up in that stuff :) As Brian said, he's too good to let stuff like that bother him. And he's got much more important things to worry about (like landing everything in that insane layout of his and avoiding injuries :biggrin: )

With Plushy and Yags, it kind of went both ways, they both made comments on each other. But if one side drops it (like Yuzuru did) then it doesn't become that big of an issue, at least for me, it gives me the idea that the skaters don't straight up hate each other. The thing with Denis was blown out of proportion, but the people online and the media who kept going on and on with it played a part in it, too. And I think Patrick has sort of dropped it too, at least in regards of speaking directly about Yuzu, his complains about the focus on quads could apply to many skaters in the field.
There is A LOT of jealousy and envy in this sport, even when expressed indirectly- it still exists, on all levels. But there is a lot of admiration, love and support too. You can't deny first but should not forget the second. That's all I can say.
I love the fact that Yuzu has good words to sy about his rivals, he respects their strong skills, always praising them in interviews. He's a great athlete and gentleman.:luv17:

Status
Not open for further replies.