Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 422 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

firal

Record Breaker
Can anyone translate/explain this tweet from Nobu? So far it's getting 47,197 Retweets 116,720 Likes, 356 comments :shocked:
Must be some kind of Meme:laugh:

https://twitter.com/nobutaro1001/status/1011421754059681792

A direct translation would be something like 'Hanyu does no half measures' but more likely 'Hanyu has no chill' and goes on to talk about his accomplishments.
I saw the meme in the World Cup fandom first, so Nobu copied it from there. --I hope someone will give a more detailed explanation?
s
Yeah, I don't know the full story, but I think it gain popularity when the Japanese played their first game in the World Cup against Colombia and went on to beat them. It was a tweet praising how good Osako Yuya performed!

sun110

Final Flight
Thanks! No wonder it was retweeted so many times! Nobu surly is one of Yuzu's best friends / biggest supporters. And a great skater / enterainer himself.
I came across this random entertaining TV show about local food and big eaters Nobu was one of the guests. Out of nowhere, the host started to ask him about Yuzu. Nobu said he was so happy when Yuzu won gold and praised Yuzu's talent. The Yuzu part starts at 4:43. Later on Nobu chose to imitate gorilla because he couldn't finish the food. :laugh:
https://youtu.be/Uc4fYp_afyc

kiches

Final Flight
I have a question for my fellow Hanyu fans. My boss is going to attend in "43rd International Conference on Coordination Chemistry" in Sendai, July 30-August 4. I want to make him bring me some Yuzu-related stuff, magazines or books. The venue of conference is Sendai International Center, is there any bookstore closeby that I can ask him go there?
As I said he is my boss, I can not ask him travel a long way just to buy me some books and I'm already so rude for asking him bring me sth :biggrin: I'll appreciate if you can provide me with some advice :thank:

Sendai International Center is right by Sendai International Center Station, this is where the Yuzu and Shizuka Monuments are and it might be fun to ask your boss to take a couple of souvenir photos of it for you (plus the Yuzu in hakama large billboard inside). Monuments are located outside the south exit.

I think the easiest place to find some books/magazines though is probably Sendai Station, not sure if your boss is flying into Sendai or taking the train from another major city. I didn't get to check the area near the International Center so I'm not sure if there are any bookstores nearby, but if your boss is taking the train I would think he may need to connect through Sendai Station at some point where there's the bookstore that carries a good selection of Yuzu magazines and books (including that English learning book with the CD). Ask him to check the sports magazine sections, they had a dedicated amount of shelf space for figure skating magazines, but the books were located in another area - they also had Nobu's autobiography there too. Sendai Station area can be fun to explore. It's connected to S-Pal shopping mall with two other large malls across the street. Different food options within the station, and there's a Sendai Tourist Center office at Sendai Station (the hakama cut-out is inside). I think I saw one other small bookstore in Sendai Station that also had the autobiographies. If there's something in particular you want it's probably helpful if you give him the ISBN or a picture to ask staff to help find items.

If you really want to be selective, you can even order from Amazon Japan and ship specific magazines to the hotel he's staying at so he doesn't even have to look - I believe shipping for magazine orders over 2000 yen is free, but it's a good idea to check with the hotel first and let them know to expect it. The fun thing about doing this is I was able to order some things sold by non-amazon sellers (like the Tokyo Nishikawa calendar that was almost too large to bring home :palmf:).

Henni147

Final Flight
Just came across the 3Lz+3F discussion-thread...
To sum it up: from now on Toeloop, Salchow, Loop and Flip are all possible as a second or third jump in combination. The halfloop is not necessary before a Salchow or Flip anymore, because jumps with LBI-landing are permitted in combos (RBI in case of clockwise rotation).
...and this interesting idea came to my mind:

Theoretically Yuzu could get rid of the 3A+2T and X+1Lo+3S combo now!

He could try something like 3A+3S or 3A+3F. That could increase his BV by 3.0 or even 4.0 points (plus 10% bonus)!
Possible 3-jump combos could be 3A+2Lo+3S or even something crazy like 3A+3S+3T... :eeking::drama:

Danibellerika

Medalist
https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/p...-next-for-yuzuru-hanyu-and-evgenia-medvedeva/

Olympic Channel Podcast with Plushenko and Boitano. Just started listening to it, but Boitano is talking about him taking too much time off? Like, Yuzu doesn't plan to take time off I don't know where he got that misinformation. Desperate for a soundbite maybe? :laugh: Not to mention both Yuna Kim and Plushenko were able to take time off and come back pretty successfully. Maybe they weren't quite as good as they were but they were definitely competitive.

Wynter

On the Ice
https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/p...-next-for-yuzuru-hanyu-and-evgenia-medvedeva/

Olympic Channel Podcast with Plushenko and Boitano. Just started listening to it, but Boitano is talking about him taking too much time off? Like, Yuzu doesn't plan to take time off I don't know where he got that misinformation. Desperate for a soundbite maybe? :laugh: Not to mention both Yuna Kim and Plushenko were able to take time off and come back pretty successfully. Maybe they weren't quite as good as they were but they were definitely competitive.

I think he is not saying that Yuzu taking too much time off. He advised Yuzu against it if he wants to stay competitive. My take on this is he just does not know Yuzu well, considering they never even met before.

sun110

Final Flight
At work and will have to listen to it later. But it makes me wonder whether Olympic channel will ever re-upload the plushy interview in the future. It has a lot of good contents and deserves to be heard by more people. :laugh:

Danibellerika

Medalist
I think he is not saying that Yuzu taking too much time off. He advised Yuzu against it if he wants to stay competitive. My take on this is he just does not know Yuzu well, considering they never even met before.

I've just listened to all of it. Even still he doesn't have to look back far for people taking time off that have been successful. I also gather he doesn't know Yuzu well since he isn't sure about his 4A chances because he'd need to take a look at his 3A. Oooh, it was only the only one with complete +3 GOE across the board from every judge in PC, but who's counting.:laugh:

And then talking about how he and Javi push each other and (paraphrasing) "when you see one go and do 5 quads you're motivated to do 5 quads too" and I'm like....Javi and 5 quads...I'll take a never for $1000, Alex :laugh:. I mean I get his point but...

At work and will have to listen to it later. But it makes me wonder whether Olympic channel will ever re-upload the plushy interview in the future. It has a lot of good contents and deserves to be heard by more people. :laugh:

It sounded like the audio from Plushy's video interview and they claimed you can watch the actual video somewhere on the site. So maybe it's a mistake that it was pulled down to begin with.

Henni147

Final Flight
I also gather he doesn't know Yuzu well since he isn't sure about his 4A chances because he'd need to take a look at his 3A. Oooh, it was only the only one with complete +3 GOE across the board from every judge in PC, but who's counting.:laugh:

And then talking about how he and Javi push each other and (paraphrasing) "when you see one go and do 5 quads you're motivated to do 5 quads too" and I'm like....Javi and 5 quads...
Exactly the same thought. There might be other skaters, who could land the 4A (maybe... maybe not...), but the only skater in the world, who could nail it with +6.25 GOE in the near future... that is Yuzu. I put my hand in the fire for that :laugh:

Javi and five quads... Sounds a bit difficult with only two types of quads in his repertoire :p
Boitano was contradicting himself btw.: First he said that two top skaters in the same team can boost each other to try new things like Yuzu and Javi. On the other hand it's better for Med to focus on herself in Toronto instead of watching Eteri's girls everyday and let herself down. Eh...? :scratch2:

Wynter

On the Ice
I've just listened to all of it. Even still he doesn't have to look back far for people taking time off that have been successful. I also gather he doesn't know Yuzu well since he isn't sure about his 4A chances because he'd need to take a look at his 3A.

I peek at his profile and found out that he tried to return for 1994 Olympics (he was already a pro at the time) and managed to join the team but failed to medal (in sixth position) so he may very well using his own experience to suggest about (not to) taking a time off.

The part about needing to see Yuzu's 3A also made me frown a bit.

yude

Record Breaker
Brian Orser's interview is on today's morning newspaper (I'm not sure which one) which was given in Kobe.

https://twitter.com/msmf40239/status/1012062548701540352

I don't have time to translate all of it right now, but he sounds very positive about Yuzuru over all.
Orser says,

・Yuzuru's has been recovering gradually taking long term while he has been patient.
・The time length of LP became shorter and Orser thinks it is going to be more difficult, but his students are good in the area of transition, skating skills, and gaining speed, so those will be their strength in new system.
・It is good rule change for Yuzuru because he is an all-round skater, not just a jumper. He has great spins, steps and transitions, and he is able to adopt various choreography. (he said "Everything is ready.":thumbsup:)
・Yuzuru has not changed at all after winning two times in the Olympics, he has been always motivated and it is really amazing. He loves skating and competing in the games. He has been matured and responsible for many things, has also a lot of goals.
・There is no reason for him not to do 4A if he is healthy. He also tried that jump a little last year but he concentrated on the practice for the Olympics, but now the situation has been changed. Yuzuru is ambitious so Orser will not stop him (from doing 4A), if only he is healthy.
・New students are hard workers and has great personalities, which is very good for Yuzuru.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I also gather he doesn't know Yuzu well since he isn't sure about his 4A chances because he'd need to take a look at his 3A.

Definitely hasn't watched any of Yuzu's skating - I mean, even a newbie like me couldn't miss the World's Greatest 3A By A Mile (not that I'm biased...)

sun110

Final Flight
So GP assignment will be out tomorrow. So excited!!:yahoo: My guess is SC and NHK. How about you guys?

sun110

Final Flight
It sounded like the audio from Plushy's video interview and they claimed you can watch the actual video somewhere on the site. So maybe it's a mistake that it was pulled down to begin with.

I just listened to it. Yeah Plushy's interview basically is similar to the one in the video, even the bet with his wife part. Maybe Olympic channel wants to wait for this podcast to be posted first? We'll see whether they re-upload in the near future.