Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018 | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2017-2018

kiches

Final Flight
Thank you for sharing with us~
7:30am being the 286 person out of 700! :eek:
Thats impressive.

Oh no, we were basically the end of the line 😂. Maybe another 10 showed up after us before they actually opened the doors to let people in. It felt like the line in Helsinki to enter the arena for the men’s small medals to be honest (although they had two equally long lines), but this was only a Challenger event!

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
Oh no, we were basically the end of the line 😂. Maybe another 10 showed up after us before they actually opened the doors to let people in. It felt like the line in Helsinki to enter the arena for the men’s small medals to be honest (although they had two equally long lines), but this was only a Challenger event!

Lol, OMG, Yuzu's phenomena...
That means 286 people show up before 7.30am... that's impressive as well!

myself

Rinkside
Lol, OMG, Yuzu's phenomena...
That means 286 people show up before 7.30am... that's impressive as well!

The Yuzu phenomena indeed! I was watching the live streams and the number of viewers would be like a couple of hundred with the dance and pairs practice. Then Yuzu comes on, just to practice mind you, and its was up to 7000. By the time of the men's FS, it was over 30,000 which dropped sharply right after Yuzu skated. I felt so bad for the last skater, I made sure to pay extra attention just on general principal.

And the number of Japanese flags in such a small venue! :eekn: The Japanese fans sure showed up in force. :hap10:

kiches

Final Flight
The Yuzu phenomena indeed! I was watching the live streams and the number of viewers would be like a couple of hundred with the dance and pairs practice. Then Yuzu comes on, just to practice mind you, and its was up to 7000. By the time of the men's FS, it was over 30,000 which dropped sharply right after Yuzu skated. I felt so bad for the last skater, I made sure to pay extra attention just on general principal.

And the number of Japanese flags in such a small venue! :eekn: The Japanese fans sure showed up in force. :hap10:

HIS had a Japanese tour bus for ACI and I think a majority of the Japanese fans there were on this tour, but I heard a lot of Mandarin and some Cantonese being spoken so the crowd was actually fairly mixed. I'm from the US, and met up with 4 other fans from the US there. The Pooh couple are also from the US, and a fair amount of Canadians were there as well, I also knew a couple of people that came from Europe so it was actually a pretty diverse crowd (although predominantly Asian in some way). I think I get mistaken for Japanese when I'm at these events since I'm Asian American, an older Japanese woman started speaking to me in Japanese all of a sudden when I was looking at the printed schedule on the wall. I'm pretty sure she was talking about being tired or not getting sleep, so maybe she camped out - it was cute when she realized her mistake :laugh:. I do wish the media and other fans would stop generalizing the fans they see at these competitions as only Japanese, Yuzu has a lot of international fans and is really well loved, it wasn't only the Japanese fans that were lined up before 7:30 AM to get seats to see Yuzu practice.

In fact, after the SP one of the camera men from TBS came to interview a group of us non-Japanese fans, he had translations from Japanese to English ready on his phone so they came prepared ;)

yude

Record Breaker
I think I get mistaken for Japanese when I'm at these events since I'm Asian American, an older Japanese woman started speaking to me in Japanese all of a sudden when I was looking at the printed schedule on the wall. I'm pretty sure she was talking about being tired or not getting sleep, so maybe she camped out - it was cute when she realized her mistake :laugh:

:laugh:

In fact, after the SP one of the camera men from TBS came to interview a group of us non-Japanese fans, he had translations from Japanese to English ready on his phone so they came prepared ;)

Is this your group?

https://twitter.com/maple_187/status/912319898973462528

I love seeing non-Japanese fans :) My friends went to the Worlds this year and they met a lot of non-Japanese fans and took pictures with some of them, they showed that to me and I was very happy :luv17:

myself

Rinkside
. I do wish the media and other fans would stop generalizing the fans they see at these competitions as only Japanese, Yuzu has a lot of international fans and is really well loved, it wasn't only the Japanese fans that were lined up before 7:30 AM to get seats to see Yuzu practice.

Ahhh, I was thinking 'Japanese fans' less as being specifically Asians and more as 'fans of the Japanese skaters', i.e. Yuzu's fans, but I can see how I expressed the thought poorly. :slink:

kiches

Final Flight

Yes, that’s us and I’m there as well (it’s so embarrassing!). We were really excited as you can tell.

Ahhh, I was thinking 'Japanese fans' less as being specifically Asians and more as 'fans of the Japanese skaters', i.e. Yuzu's fans, but I can see how I expressed the thought poorly. :slink:

No offense taken, there WERE a lot of Japanese fans there. I’m mainly talking about the media articles, and even some other skating fans that typically see an Asian face and automatically assume they are all Japanese since figure skating is popular in Japan. They tend to frame all of Yuzu’s fans as being Japanese but he really does have a very international appeal. I would venture to say he’s the most popular skater outside of Japan, as well :). It really was amazing to see how many fans came specifically to see him.

myself

Rinkside
No offense taken, there WERE a lot of Japanese fans there. I’m mainly talking about the media articles, and even some other skating fans that typically see an Asian face and automatically assume they are all Japanese since figure skating is popular in Japan. They tend to frame all of Yuzu’s fans as being Japanese .

Oh, I see. I don't really get the chance to read many of the articles. I'll read the occasional interview but I don't see much of the rest. Yeah I could see how that'd be annoying.

Personally, I cheer on individuals rather than countries.... so I guess I just assume that other fans are the same way and cheer on whomever they like regardless of what country they actually come from. I'd just assume they were supporting Yuzu because he's one of the best and on top of that a lovely human being. What's not to love?

yude

Record Breaker

kiches

Final Flight
Oh, I see. I don't really get the chance to read many of the articles. I'll read the occasional interview but I don't see much of the rest. Yeah I could see how that'd be annoying.

Personally, I cheer on individuals rather than countries.... so I guess I just assume that other fans are the same way and cheer on whomever they like regardless of what country they actually come from. I'd just assume they were supporting Yuzu because he's one of the best and on top of that a lovely human being. What's not to love?

I do as well, I'm not particularly nationalistic in terms of my skating taste, but that's fine with me :laugh:. Lots of fans support skaters regardless of which country they represent, I just wish the western media would acknowledge that Yuzu has a lot of non-Japanese fans as well once in a while. I know the ISU members have spoken about the popularity of the sport and trying to revive it, but when you have a Challenger event that sells out in 30 minutes and people lining up and camping out at night to get into practice, it makes me wonder if they've taken note of this "Yuzu Phenomena". It really boggles my mind at times.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
According to Max, his success rate of 4A is 30% :shocked:

http://pianetahanyu.altervista.org/ポッドキャスト「kiss&cry」第1回(その1)/

I believe his choice, and I believe he can do it. I know most skaters choose wise strategy to win, and that is also correct.
But he is not same as them, he won't back to easy layout for win. That's why he is the greatest all the time. Ganbare, Yuzu!!

According to Max's podcast, and whatever sources he has, Yuzu has also been training his SP in two versions: with 4Lo or 4Lz as the solo jump.

Henni147

Final Flight
According to Max, his success rate of 4A is 30% :shocked:

I believe his choice, and I believe he can do it. I know most skaters choose wise strategy to win, and that is also correct.
But he is not same as them, he won't back to easy layout for win. That's why he is the greatest all the time. Ganbare, Yuzu!!
Every third attempt is successful! Holy moly... That would explain the problems with his right knee, with 4T and 3A. I hope, he can handle it in close future. There's not too much time left...

Well, we all know that ISU is trying to prohibit double Olympic champions with all means. If Yuzu wants to defend his title, it's not enough to perform better than the rest of the field - he has to win by a natural victory margin of minimum 10-15 points to give the judges no chance to play with GOE and PSC.

Therefore he needs a layout with ridiculously high base value and has to go further with new jumps than anyone else has done before. That's not easy - all types of quads (except 4A) have been landed already. The only milestones left are quints (no - just no), quad-quad-combinations (they might be possible to do) and the 4A. Good luck, Yuzu...

yude

Record Breaker

Thank you for sharing, in the backstage, he was like a little kid plays around and the photographer was like a teacher in school :laugh2: I imagine the photo session in Toronto this summer was something similar to this...:biggrin: I'm wondering if he was trying to do one of the moves in Hip Hop dance at the beginning.

"GPF in Japan brings me great fortune. In a sense, in the season of Sochi Olympics, I was flared up in GPF of Fukuoka and to be able to win over Patrick since then, so GPF is really special to me. I'm bringing these two programs, and saying this is like putting pressure on me but I hope I can perform well again in GPF."

giulia95

Medalist
I feel very sorry for Yuzu every time I read about people , whoever they are, who claim to know and to reveal about his competition strategies , new jumps success rate etc. , true or not, when he himself is private about it. I feel the only very safe and respectful place for him is his beloved hometown unfortunately.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Errr... it's great I think if he can do the 4A even if the chances aren't that great yet. But I hope he chills on this. Don't want him to get any more injured this season. :noshake:

Ender

Match Penalty
I feel very sorry for Yuzu every time I read about people , whoever they are, who claim to know and to reveal about his competition strategies , new jumps success rate etc. , true or not, when he himself is private about it. I feel the only very safe and respectful place for him is his beloved hometown unfortunately.
Where they don’t have enough facilities and no coach at highest level for him. Nice. Had Hanyu stayed at Sendai, he would never become Olympic Champion. It’s silly to dream on and think that he could develop all by himself to the current level just by staying stagnant there. There is a reason Hanyu moved to Cricket Club and there is a reason he stays there. He is certainly smarter and knows himself more than the so-called fans who want him to stagnant in a place.

Anyway, all these rumors are not bad things. They have some weight in the political sense. People don’t need to see Hanyu landing 4lz and 4A in competition yet, they just need to hear that he has landed them in practice, they believe he could do even more than what he is showing now, thus they won’t take him lightly. That’s the most crucial point. These rumors help him in a way, they don’t let people write him off too much.