Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 118 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

yude

Record Breaker
SOI in Osaka and Aichi were cancelled due to the coronavirus. Hachinohe and Yokohama shows (which Yuzuru attends) are scheduled to be held but they will see how the situation goes. (Now in Japan, schools have been closed)

I wonder if ISU will make an announcement again about WC next week.

ankifeather

Final Flight
SOI in Osaka and Aichi were cancelled due to the coronavirus. Hachinohe and Yokohama shows (which Yuzuru attends) are scheduled to be held but they will see how the situation goes. (Now in Japan, schools have been closed)

I wonder if ISU will make an announcement again about WC next week.

Osaka and Aichi, without Hanyu, were not selling well at all, so not surprisingly cancelled. The Yokohama avenue even added more shows after they sold out quickly, but I hope organisers will still put skaters health (and not greed for money) first if it is still risky in April.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Osaka and Aichi, without Hanyu, were not selling well at all, so not surprisingly cancelled. The Yokohama avenue even added more shows after they sold out quickly, but I hope organisers will still put skaters health (and not greed for money) first if it is still risky in April.

All fans are going to put Yuzu's health and safety above all else (and that of the other skaters, true! but someone did mention that Yuzu, being prone to asthma, might have that bit of added precaution needed) so I imagine will all understand cancellations to protect the skaters... because even though he is better than he was at it, I'm not sure we can trust our young man to look to his own wellbeing first.

I hope he can do some shows safely though, it's clear that he loves doing tem and Japan loves to see him.

yude

Record Breaker
"news every." has just aired new footage of Yuzuru related to 3.11. Yuzuru says in the interview given in February that even now there are nights he cries with thoughts for 3.11, but has started feeling like he has been going forward finally. After nine years, he has become to consider more about what he can do as a skater and as a person. He visited Naraha Jr high school in 2018 and said he would be happy if the students could support their town directly near future. Now they have produced Yuzu (fruit) hand soap and other products such as cookies, cake with the companies nearby to promote their town. Yuzuru sent video message to them and they said they were happy :) I hope the video comes soon.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
"news every." has just aired new footage of Yuzuru related to 3.11. Yuzuru says in the interview given in February that even now there are nights he cries with thoughts for 3.11, but has started feeling like he has been going forward finally. After nine years, he has become to consider more about what he can do as a skater and as a person. He visited Naraha Jr high school in 2018 and said he would be happy if the students could support their town directly near future. Now they have produced Yuzu (fruit) hand soap and other products such as cookies, cake with the companies nearby to promote their town. Yuzuru sent video message to them and they said they were happy :) I hope the video comes soon.

An extraordinary man as well as a legendary athlete... Yuzuru is and always has been there for the people of the disaster area, he never forgets them.

Nachi

On the Ice
Thank you for sharing this, yude! I also do this every year, as well as lighting a candle. I have a friend in Japan who lives in Mie. So she was fine at that time but still very shocked. As a student I couldn't donate much money but at least I wanted to donate a little bit. Now I go to this page every year and hope that one day I can help in a better way.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I am sad but relieved at the same time. I would not have been enjoying myself while be being wrought with worry that I could catch something and/or bring something back to my loved ones or colleagues. Honestly I'd been questioning if I was just going to eat the cost because the thought was making me so unhappy. 20,000 people from all over the world rubbing elbows with e/o for up to 10 hours a day for a week during a pandemic is flirting with disaster. I would have been worried sick about the skaters too with crowds and gifts. And don't think that it wouldn't have weighed on Yuzu's mind that thousands of people would be there risking it to see him. Not to mention the well-being of his mom who usually sits in the crowd and his coaches too that are usually all around. And of course himself as an asthmatic.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am sad but relieved at the same time. I would not have been enjoying myself while be being wrought with worry that I could catch something and/or bring something back to my loved ones or colleagues. Honestly I'd been questioning if I was just going to eat the cost because the thought was making me so unhappy. 20,000 people from all over the world rubbing elbows with e/o for up to 10 hours a day for a week during a pandemic is flirting with disaster. I would have been worried sick about the skaters too with crowds and gifts. And don't think that it wouldn't have weighed on Yuzu's mind that thousands of people would be there risking it to see him. Not to mention the well-being of his mom who usually sits in the crowd and his coaches too that are usually all around. And of course himself as an asthmatic.

The asthma occurred to me too, sure he is amazingly strong and all that but it is a respiratory condition... and fans do worry about him, a lot, and rightly. And he wouldn't himself pull out over the risk (remember COC15????)

But I can also understand why people, especially those who've paid a lot or for whom this might have been their one chance to see him, are bitterly disappointed.

Nachi

On the Ice
I am quite glad. There still will be football games in Europe without audience...which I don't get. It's a sport with little distance and I think they should cancel those events as well. But it's UEFA...lot's of money already lost due to "ghost games." For Yuzu I am very glad as well. It is said that younger people might not show any symptoms at all but IF it becomes a serious infection...as an asthma patient, it's a disaster. I had an infection this winter with heavy coughing (I also suffer from mild asthma) and it's hard to bear. I can't imagine how Yuzu must feel with his asthma being so much worse. I really hope that IF the virus ever reaches him, the informations will stay true and he won't show any symptoms. So stay healthy everyone!

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Given the risk to Yuzu because of his asthma, this is at least less disappointing than the other things I care about that have been cancelled...

pianistliz

On the Ice
So, so sad. Definitely the safest decision to cancel, and I personally had already decided not to risk it anyway, but still just a really sad situation that it had to happen :(