Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 86 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

pianistliz

On the Ice
I understood has answer about Nationals to be that if he felt really, really good he might try the 4axel.. I much prefer he try the lutz!!

That scares me, but I do think if he really aims to land it at world's, he needs to try it out in competition somewhere else first. If not Nationals, then 4CC

eaglehelang

Final Flight
May I rant as well? I was sitting there dumbstruck through Nathan's program because I was still in shock over how low Yuzu's GOE's and PCS were... the level of disrespect and just dismissal that I feel from these professionals in the industry... I haven't seen the like in any other sport. The amount of blood sweat and tears he pours into his programs and his ART should merit at least a nod of appreciation from judges and panelists? I don't know. I'm just kind of mind blown. I hate to make comparisons, but honestly, the difference in reward between when Yuzu skates a beautiful, clean program, and when someone else does it... I like the other skaters too. I don't wish them ill. I just cry for Yuzu inside. :sad21:

Yup, some of us been saying that ever since 2018 OG. Yuzuru being underscored already been happening since he won his 1st OG Gold in 2014.
And yeah, they dont do that in other sports I follow, not to a 2X OG champ or a 7 or 8 time World champ(for non OG sports).

Looking at the +ve side, Yuzuru now can do whatever layout he wants, experiment whatever he pleases till he retires.
Cos if he wanted to play safe and skate clean, he should put 1 combo in 1st half.

But these days Yuzuru take more risks & Orser seems seems to hands off after 2018 OG. Before, Orser will try to rein him in.

Did you guys saw the "new dream"? To have all the quads :biggrin:

I bet one day we will see a program only consisting of quads and triple axels. Other triples only for the combination. :biggrin:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
The press conference was gold. Loved it.

And another thing...Yuzu made it through the competition. There were times when I was afraid it wouldn't happen. But here he is. Not on crutches. I'm so happy about that.

Last edited:

ankifeather

Final Flight
His 4lo and 4lz were so good today and yet the GOE were only middling ..Judges..And I don't even want to go into the PCS, that was ridiculous.

However, welcome back 4lz, you behaved well today! And happy 25th birthday Yuzu, I hope you get to arrive at your dream layout with no injuries by Worlds time.

Also, I know it's our safe place and we have the right to rant about absurd judging at least here. But, what do you say if we just accept it as a fact? We can not change it, it's been there forever. Honestly, it is JSF and all Japanese officials that from a long time ago should have come out of their politeness shell and should have fought for him. They didn't and he has always known he is been alone up there. It is all about politicking behind the curtains, and before anyone complains, it happens in any profession. Academic life is full of it, how can sport be pure? Anyhow, he is fighting with tooth and nail and keeping himself in competition. It will be rewarded, one way or another, one day or another. Let the haters hate, let the schemers scheme. He was, is and will be protected regardless. Have faith and be patient :pray:

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Also, I know it's our safe place and we have the right to rant about absurd judging at least here. But, what do you say if we just accept it as a fact? We can not change it, it's been there forever. Honestly, it is JSF and all Japanese officials that from a long time ago should have come out of their politeness shell and should have fought for him. They didn't and he has always known he is been alone up there. It is all about politicking behind the curtains, and before anyone complains, it happens in any profession. Academic life is full of it, how can sport be pure? Anyhow, he is fighting with tooth and nail and keeping himself in competition. It will be rewarded, one way or another, one day or another. Let the haters hate, let the schemers scheme. He was, is and will be protected regardless. Have faith and be patient :pray:

I would say no cos then it would become more and more rampant. + the fact that such unfairness is not tolerated in other sports.
Checks and balances to keep the intregrity of the sport. We have to make noise or IOC thinks everything is nice & dandy.
At work, in politics, in other sports, I've seen the difference it makes when one makes a stand.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Well, I mixed up the schedule and didn't get to watch live, but now I'm glad I didn't. Yuzu was stunning, the scores were a travesty.

...This biased judging is getting more and more blatant. Isn't there anything we can do!? Or does it have to be the feds?

The NBC commentator here thought it was going to be a world record, for crying out loud! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaE3W3KkxcY

Maybe it shouldn't have been because of the missed Axel, but it should have been MUCH higher than 194.00.

I can only surmise that Yuzu's performance was so wonderful that some of the judges gave the GOEs as something like 5+1.2i, and someone subtracted the imaginary components instead of tallying them up as a separate "extra credit" score.

lzxnl

Final Flight
So, I feel the scoring was actually somewhat fair. You can make the point that Nathan's GOEs are inflated, I agree. Some of his landings aren't that stable. However, Nathan fully deserves credit for skating his program cleanly, and to a neutral observer, the performance looks better that way.

Breakdown of why a 43 point margin:
SP lack of combo, about 15 points including PCS drop
FS popped 3As, about 16 points
4T-Eu-3F<, about 7 points because it detracts from 4T GOE as well as 3F BV
4T-2T pop, about 4 points for base value of 3T

Add them up, that's 42 points. Give Yuzuru about 4 more points on PCS for a cleaner skate and he beats Nathan by 3 points. So it's not as biased as you guys may think. I was heartbroken for Yuzuru too, but at least he stayed healthy and landed 5 quads. He can finally exorcise his demons from 2017!

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
So, I feel the scoring was actually somewhat fair. You can make the point that Nathan's GOEs are inflated, I agree. Some of his landings aren't that stable. However, Nathan fully deserves credit for skating his program cleanly, and to a neutral observer, the performance looks better that way.

Breakdown of why a 43 point margin:
SP lack of combo, about 15 points including PCS drop
FS popped 3As, about 16 points
4T-Eu-3F<, about 7 points because it detracts from 4T GOE as well as 3F BV
4T-2T pop, about 4 points for base value of 3T

Add them up, that's 42 points. Give Yuzuru about 4 more points on PCS for a cleaner skate and he beats Nathan by 3 points. So it's not as biased as you guys may think. I was heartbroken for Yuzuru too, but at least he stayed healthy and landed 5 quads. He can finally exorcise his demons from 2017!

Thank you for the points breakdown, it does make me feel w little better.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I have to say the ability to change your whole layout and put forth sth that you have not tried before is awesome :eeking: He is phenomenal.

In my opinion we will see 4A in SP in worlds. He has lost to Nathan last two times in the SP which puts an enormous pressure on him during FS. He can't play SP safe anymore.

The SP rules specifically say it must be either a 2A or a 3A, so he can't put the 4A there, unless he might play the rules a bit and use the 4A as his solo quad jump and a 3A as his axel jump....can he do that? lol
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-regulations-rules/file page 104

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Will we ever see Yuna and Yuzuru skating together

Happy 25th birthday to Yuzuru! I really hope that one day we will see Yuzuru and Yuna skating together!
The the two G.O.A.T.S.!

Danibellerika

Medalist
I woke up at 6:30 am EST and cursed my internal clock. I wanted to be asleep and wake up to the news. But I decided to watch because I was just going to be thinking about it anyway. But I am glad I got to witness it. He was just soooo good and such a fighter! After he did the loop and then the lutz my heart was like a jackhammer in my chest and I wanted him to keep it together so badly! I love the sport and love so many skaters (the ISU and the federations however can eff themselves though, real talk), but there is nobody that makes me feel the way Yuzu does and win or lose, it's never going to happen again. I just know it in the fiber of my being. It's such a roller coaster being his fan, but I don't regret it. Whether it's happiness or sadness, he just makes you FEEL!! He's so worth stanning for and we don't deserve him.