Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021 | Page 160 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2019-2021

Interspectator

Record Breaker
After a veritable feast these last few days, we are now back to waiting for crumbs for undetermined amount of time. I hope you stocked up good on Hanyu provisions 'cause a long dry spell is staring at us again.
For those of us who are missing Yuzu already, Here's a playlist of all the TV appearances in order from Before Nationals to after the Gala.
Note: Please do not share any of the direct links from this playlist as that will get them taken off youtube and the channel might be shut down.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

yude

Record Breaker
Something I want to share after reading Yuzuru's interviews during the nationals.

As always, he never ignores the music, the feeling, the expression of the program. Yuzuru talked about his jump layout of FS. He said there was the time he couldn't even land 4Lo and 4S (he was able to land 4T barely.), which led to less combination jump in the second half this time. And he was thinking about doing 3A combo at the end, but when he looked at the program as a whole, he thought doing 3A combo in the first half looked better. About 3A2T to 3Lo, his first plan was to 3A(not combo) and 3Lo or 3Lz. But he had kind of a sense that the wind was blowing up there, and decided to do 3A2T(tano) and 3Lo because it would be the jumps as the expression the most.
(source: https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/12/27/kiji/20201227s00079000137000c.html)

I also had admiration for him during the press conference of WC team announcement. One reporter asked all the skaters what their goal placement or who their rival skaters (I don't remember word by word though). And young Yuma seemed he could not convey his thoughts well in front of other senpai(s). Yuzuru said to him that he didn't have to lie to himself and could just say his honest feelings not hiding his personality of "hating to lose". Yuma said, "I will aim for the gold medal in JN" (something like that) in one of his interviews and Yuzuru seemed to have watched that. When Yuzuru was around Yuma's age, he said similar thing as Yuma's but many senpais' fans bashed him so hard saying he was cheeky. I think by saying "you can say it", Yuzuru was trying to protect Yuma from meaningless bashing from some fans. This is only my guessing and opinion, but I have much respect for his attitude.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Something I want to share after reading Yuzuru's interviews during the nationals.

As always, he never ignores the music, the feeling, the expression of the program. Yuzuru talked about his jump layout of FS. He said there was the time he couldn't even land 4Lo and 4S (he was able to land 4T barely.), which led to less combination jump in the second half this time. And he was thinking about 3A combo at the end, but when he looked at the program as a whole, he thought doing 3A combo in the first half looked better. About 3A2T to 3Lo, his first plan was to 3A(not combo) and 3Lo or 3Lz. But he had kind of a sense that the wind was blowing up there, and decided to do 3A2T(tano) and 3Lo because it would be the jumps as the expression the most.
(source: https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/12/27/kiji/20201227s00079000137000c.html)

I also had admiration for him during the press conference of WC team announcement. One reporter asked all the skaters what their goal placement or who their rival skaters (I don't remember word by word though). And young Yuma seemed he could not convey his thoughts well in front of other senpai(s). Yuzuru said to him that he didn't have to lie to himself and could just say his honest feelings not hiding his personality of "hating to lose". Yuma said, "I will aim for the gold medal in JN" (something like that) in one of his interviews and Yuzuru seemed to have watched that. When Yuzuru was around Yuma's age, he said similar thing as Yuma's but many senpais' fans bashed him so hard saying he was cheeky. I think by saying "you can say it", Yuzuru was trying to protect Yuma from meaningless bashing from some fans. This is only my guessing and opinion, but I have much respect for his attitude.
I agree, Yuzu was bashed and abused quite a bit when he was Yuma's age (he was also already adored, as well. but still). Thanks to the men at the top, starting with Javi and Yuzu and continuing through all of the current ones, the generosity and sportsmanship is a lot higher, but I get the feeling he is protective of younger skaters.

yude

Record Breaker
Happy new year to everyone in the world!

And this is the last message from Yuzuru in 2020.

"This is Yuzuru Hanyu, thank you for your support! 2020 was a very very difficult year, in 2021, I hope calm will be back to everyone as soon as possible. And I hope that I will be helpful to everyone as much as I can, and for myself, want to make a new year the one (he can say) I really improved."
(gives his signature)
"Thank you for your support, I hope new year will be good one."

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
According to this Chinese source, Yuzuru was no 5 of their top 10 world athletes for 2020. And this despite the truncated year and the very very rare and tiny public appearances he made...