Zagitova pockets gold at GPF debut | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Zagitova pockets gold at GPF debut

moriel

Record Breaker
Still looking through. I'll keep you posted.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I ended up preferring Yulia/Alkhazov to TAT/Grishin (that's why I didn't watch them live). Yulia got used to her new role, while her partner at last fixed his stupid football jokes and started telling something meaningful. I was especially amused when he recognized a solo by Led Zeppelin drummer to which Caro skated her gala. As an old fan of English rock, I respect this.

Yep, unexpectedly, they are better than TAT
They are decent by themselves, but the fact they manage to not talk during performances makes it awesome. You know how TAT sometimes goes on a full rant about something totally random and doesnt let us enjoy the current performance

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I didn't watch Zagitova's LP at the GPF until earlier today, I just assumed she did a clean skate. I'm quite outraged at her score now, that was a flawed performance not only technically but also in terms of the presentation, she just looks like she's going through the motions. As for the tech mistakes:

2Axel+3Toe underrotated with a turn out
3Sal underrotated
3Lutz step out

The way certain skaters get held up is endlessly frustrating. Maria Sotskova deserved to win the competition, she did her best performance ever. I'm not even feeling like Zagitova should have placed above Miyahara now, since Zagitova has underrotation issues of her own and also did not skate clean in either performance. Miyahara's SP was masterful and her LP displayed a more well rounded presentation too.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I ended up preferring Yulia/Alkhazov to TAT/Grishin (that's why I didn't watch them live). Yulia got used to her new role, while her partner at last fixed his stupid football jokes and started telling something meaningful. I was especially amused when he recognized a solo by Led Zeppelin drummer to which Caro skated her gala. As an old fan of English rock, I respect this.

Well I mean TAT never shuts up, so :D even if I enjoy her enthusiasm and insight sometimes I like to hear the music of the program. :D

But I liked Yulia and her co-commentator a lot too. They were doing great.

Lily flowers

On the Ice

Oh I wish I understand Russian :sad46:

viennaskater

Medalist
The title of this thread bothers me - it sounds like Alina stole the gold medal and hid it in her pocket.

David21

On the Ice
I didn't watch Zagitova's LP at the GPF until earlier today, I just assumed she did a clean skate. I'm quite outraged at her score now, that was a flawed performance not only technically but also in terms of the presentation, she just looks like she's going through the motions. As for the tech mistakes:

2Axel+3Toe underrotated with a turn out
3Sal underrotated
3Lutz step out

The way certain skaters get held up is endlessly frustrating. Maria Sotskova deserved to win the competition, she did her best performance ever. I'm not even feeling like Zagitova should have placed above Miyahara now, since Zagitova has underrotation issues of her own and also did not skate clean in either performance. Miyahara's SP was masterful and her LP displayed a more well rounded presentation too.

You mention Alina's underrotations (some of which were borderline) but Satoko's jumps in her "masterful" SP were not underrotated?

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am trying hard to like Alina she is such a beautiful girl and a fierce competitor but those half over boots tights are killing me. I was amused to read in a recent interview that Eteri is very strict as regards to her skaters' appearance not only in competitions but in practice -all girls have to have their hair and nails done every day , and even to wear fingerless gloves so the the latter to be seen to all. Apparently nobody told Eteri that shoes either can make or break a lady's outfit - what a pity... imagining these 'hooves' on Oly podium... :palmf:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I am trying hard to like Alina she is such a beautiful girl and a fierce competitor but those half over boots tights are killing me. I was amused to read in a recent interview that Eteri is very strict as regards to her skaters' appearance not only in competitions but in practice -all girls have to have their hair and nails done every day , and even to wear fingerless gloves so the the latter to be seen to all. Apparently nobody told Eteri that shoes either can make or break a lady's outfit - what a pity... imagining these 'hooves' on Oly podium... :palmf:

:laugh: I see so many people bothered by skater's tights... And although I don't think is that big of a deal, it is a little tiny bit important the way they dress it. It is not judged, but this half-over thing is really not aesthetically pleasing.
But hey, she can do whatever she wants! She's amazing! We can all forgive her awkward tights! :laugh:
I'm not a fan of her SP, a bit too cluttered for me. But I love that they used Moonlight's music with Black Swan. What a combo! And although Alina does not give me the "ballerina" vibe, she certainly has great qualities to pull it off.
Her LP I can enjoy more. The first part I don't... I don't care for it. But the second half is just gold (quite literally). Is it a little jumping marathon? Yes. Is it impressive? YES. Is it timed with the music(on her good days)? Absolutely. And I love it! Very exciting to watch. :hap10:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

What's the problem that everyone has with the tights?
I actually think it looks flattering on those who use it!
PS: the JGPF ladies podium, although all Eteri's skaters, had three different tights styles!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hilarious statement. Both 3T and 3S are clearly <90 degrees.

No they clearly aren't. Look at where Zagitova leaves the ice (or even just the direction of her blade by the time she picks in on the 3T) and then measure the rotation from that point. She's getting less than 2.25 rotations in the air. Her salchow has a spinny takeoff, she's nearly sideways by the time she leaves the ice and she doesn't land close to backwards either. If you actually look at her feet instead of the arms over the head then it is easy to see.

You mention Alina's underrotations but Satoko's jumps in her "masterful" SP were not underrotated?

Underrotations have nothing to do with a program being masterful or not. I would have called Satako for an underrotation in the SP (the judges did not) but that doesn't change how her blade usage and fluidity and the overall usage of her body and choreography and musicality are better than anyone else.

Also as far as the technical elements go, Satako had the best spins of anyone and her mastery of skating skills and sharpness of movement allowed her to have the best step sequence of the competition. Better than Carolina Kostner, who has great edge quality but is not able to do rapid movements as well anymore, both with her skates and with the way she moves her limbs.

David21

On the Ice
Underrotations have nothing to do with a program being masterful or not. I would have called Satako for an underrotation in the SP (the judges did not) but that doesn't change how her blade usage and fluidity and the overall usage of her body and choreography and musicality are better than anyone else.

Wrong and wrong. Jumps are part of the program and when your jumps are heavily flawed then the program cannot be masterful. As for the PCS: Her musicality and fluidity is good but she cannot compete with Osmond's and Kostner's speed and ice coverage, hence their better PCS.

Regardless, I think we can say this: if you want to beat Zagitova, there are only two ways. (a) Be Medvedeva. And (b), get such a big lead in the short program that when you get crushed in the Long, you can still eke out a win overall. :yes:

tars

Record Breaker
Regardless, I think we can say this: if you want to beat Zagitova, there are only two ways. (a) Be Medvedeva. And (b), get such a big lead in the short program that when you get crushed in the Long, you can still eke out a win overall. :yes:
I wouldn't be so sure about (a) anymore, but still funny! :laugh:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Wrong and wrong. Jumps are part of the program and when your jumps are heavily flawed then the program cannot be masterful. As for the PCS: Her musicality and fluidity is good but she cannot compete with Osmond's and Kostner's speed and ice coverage, hence their better PCS.

I have to disagree. Satoko's URs and PRs doesn't affect her program at all when you look at in a performance, interpretation and choreographic point of view. It should affect her TES and rightly so. The flaws of her jumps are not at all a disturbance in her overall performance unlike a fall or a step out. Her jumps are smoothly landed, UR and PR aside.

David21

On the Ice
I have to disagree. Satoko's URs and PRs doesn't affect her program at all when you look at in a performance, interpretation and choreographic point of view. It should affect her TES and rightly so. The flaws of her jumps are not at all a disturbance in her overall performance unlike a fall or a step out. Her jumps are smoothly landed, UR and PR aside.

I didn't say that her ur's affect her PCS. We don't disagree.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I do think it should affect her performance scores though. Maybe not the UR or PR aspect but the overall barely off of the ice and just lack of power are a huge contradiction to her huge presence when assessing her interpretative ability. The overall presentation can be affected by TES in my oppionion and her jumps are almost disruptive. It’s not as if skaters enter a vacuum and performorm their jumps in a different realm. StSeq’s can have a tremendous impact on a program and its quality certainly can have an impact. Look at it this way....think of a skater with impressive jumps or even spins. Those high quality moments do add to the physical connection a skater can lend to a program’s performance value. Look at Rika’s 3a-3t for an example. It certainly adds value to this performance.

The annoying thing is the judges are too lazy to assess individual components with any variance. Here is how I’d expect to score Satoko on average. Obviously these would vary based on the effort.

SS: 8.5
Transitions: 8.0
Interpretation of the Music: 9.5
Performance:8.75
Composition: 9.5

———________————______————-_______

About Masha’s PCS: I think they are punishing her Performance and Composition scores for the excessive Tanos but they seem to help her not UR so it’s s fair trade off. The thing is...if the judges are punishing for excessive Tano are we now in a realm where we need to start punishing chicken wing arms for every jump? I don’t think so but I think the judges are start starting to open this door for discussion.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
About Masha’s PCS: I think they are punishing her Performance and Composition scores for the excessive Tanos but they seem to help her not UR so it’s s fair trade off. The thing is...if the judges are punishing for excessive Tano are we now in a realm where we need to start punishing chicken wing arms for every jump? I don’t think so but I think the judges are start starting to open this door for discussion.

Whatever marks she gets for the tano should also reflect that she has a very unattractive arm position on those jumps.