2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25 | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Men's FS 10/25

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
That being said, does anyone else agree that he gave a strong, moving performance even with the pops? In the past when he's started faltering technically the wind goes out of his sails and the performance can suffer. This time I thought he gave a beautiful performance nonetheless. and that program!!! If he skates it clean or near clean, it may go down as one of the great masterpieces of skating. So happy we have Sandra Bezic choreographing again. She really brings out the essence of what makes Jeremy's skating so great.
I was just thinking this, wordsworthgirl! Per usual I couldn't get a stream going and forgot my ice network password and per usual I finally got it going right when Jeremy popped or fell on a jump. (I nearly put my job in jeopardy during Sochi Olys to duck out and take a late lunch at Starbucks to watch only to finally get it up and going right when Jeremy hit the boards. And as I'm sure many of you could relate to, if I told my coworkers the lengths I went to to watch Olys figure skating, they would have been, really? lol). But wow! that choreo! I found myself becoming enraptured so much that the mistakes, while frustrating, didn't totally sully the performance for me. I didn't feel that pit in my stomach when seeing him miss. I so hope he skates it clean this season so I can witness an extraordinary piece of art. He was feeling that whole thing right out to his fingertips and it will be electrifying if skated well. The slide across the ice was mesmerizing.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I do think Yuka and Jason are more like pals than coaches and they coddle him too much.

I'm glad I am not the only one starting to scratch my head. Something about their interactions, just do not seem to demonstrate Yuka having authority over him. Their interactions seem almost more that of equals or partners. I am not sure that is ideal. I can't help but feel the coach should appear the dominant party. Maybe Jeremy just needs a softer touch, or at least responds better to it.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I don't know about Brian but I know Nam believes in himself and everything he sets out to accomplish.

And what an accomplishment! At 16, debuting his Senior GP, he beat the Worlds Bronze Medalist and 4 time US Champion to win the Bronze. He also beat the most heralded 19 year old American Olympian in the LP. Just wait till he puts the quad in the SP, or grows some muscles. It won't be long.

Apparently the medal came also as a "bit of surprise" to Nam ;) : http://lethbridgeherald.com/sports/...wins-bronze-medal-in-senior-grand-prix-debut/

Meoima

Match Penalty
Denis Ten's Lp is actually nice and very well-choreographed. I would put his choreography for the Lp over Tatsuki. If Denis hit all the elements this program will be a jem. The music choice is very original and I have the feeling he does believe in the message he is trying to convey. He just needs more time.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just got home, just got to watch, but my heart sank like a stone through the floor when Artur's score came up on my phone...

Artur: I don't think Artur was actually that bad. I mean yeah, he popped the quad and singled the Axel. But he was nowhere near as bad as SOME *coughJeremycough*. He hit most of his triples and reasonably well. But I have a feeling I know why there were no combinations after the quad. He'd already done two double toes! He couldn't do any more or he'd zayak. I'm really sad for him. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jason: And his costumer has ruined this one too, making an already tacky costume even WORSE. Love that first 3A, looking good - I agree, he just tensed up and stalked the second one too much, and that seemed to throw him off for a minute. I'm disappointed they took out the fantastic backsplit-back lunge entry to the second 3Lz. It almost looked for a moment like he got lost after that. But this was fantastic and I really can't wait to see this program done at full potential, it's going to be magnificent. I'm so pleased he got silver.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Okay, after watching...

Best choreography for both programs: Jason Brown!!! :yay:
Best consistency: Nam Nguyen :love:
Best execution: Tatsuki Machida.
Best music in the SP: Tatsuki Machida
Best music in the Lp: Jason Brown

Best disappointment: Denis and Jeremy can share this prize. :scowl:

I think Denis had the best SP choreography and Jeremy had the best LP choreography!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Jason was gifted the silver medal. His non-called 3A in the SP made the difference even with the ridiculous PCS padding. Who would have though he has better PCS than reinging Olympics medalist. Better skating skill, too. Give me a break.
America is just as bad as Russia when it comes to pushing their own skaters.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Just finished watching the Japan broadcast.
I make a pact with my family not to watch it live and wait for the broadcast so we can watch it together. -Takes tremendous self-control.

Anyway, Nam, Jason and Machida were the deserved medalists here! I think the placements were right, but if Nam improves his artistry and speed Jason had better watch out. Nam's consistency with all his jumps is amazing and will stand him in good stead with the judges. Even though when I see him jump the word 'wimpy' forces it self into my mind, I still enjoy his skating and his confidence. -I just wish he'd change his costume to something that would make him look less like a scarecrow.

Jason was as charming as ever and he sold his LP 100%. I don't like the mustard shade of his pants..it clashes horribly with the green Christmas-tree colored sash. Silver is his highest placement so far right? He should be very pleased.

Machida delivered. I didn't like the program much because the music and the choreo seemed to come apart at times and the movements of his arms were even more over the top than the SP. --But none of that matters because he delivered a confident and technically superior program -much, much better than anyone else today. So well done Machida and good luck on your quest to crush Hanyu. :biggrin: --and to think that some said that he wouldn't be able repeat his good placements after Worlds.

Meoima

Match Penalty
About Tatsuki Machida: I would say Tatsuki is trying very hard, and too hard. And somehow it makes me less enjoy him. At first I think his dedication is wonderful, now I am kind of worried.

In fact I think he overkills it with that amount of drama. Tatsuki's sp is really wow, a bit alike to East of Eden but still wonderful. His Lp, on the other hand...is not what I expected, especially with that music choice because Beethoven was the composer that I studied the most.

I don't say he doesn't do Beethoven justice, I say his choreography and Beethoven don't go along with each other. Beethoven is not suitable for balletic style. Overall I am not impressed by Tatsuki's music and the choreography for the Lp at all. I did think Tatsuki's Lp will be great before SA because it's Beethoven, but now I'd say I enjoy Jason Brown's Lp wayyy much more. :slink:

There are many holes in the choreography, I mean it would be better if we turn off the sym 9 and switch to other music, his LP might be more enjoyable. I even think Denis Ten has the better package than Tatsuki, despite his inconsistency. But anyways it doesn't matter because that's what Tatsuki wants so who I am to rant all of this..:slink:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
And Machida is no second tier skater. He would give anyone in the past or future a good run with his SP & LP here and at the last World championship. The US hasn't had one that can beat Machida on a good day in 50 years. You probably can count in one hand the number of skaters that an beat an on Machida in the history of the sport.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Denis and Jeremy didn't medal. So I can't count them in.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

Anyways I personally think that Denis's LP is better choreographed than Jeremy.

I liked Denis's LP, especially those arm movements in the second footwork sequence which Lori went all-out on, but I saw less nuance here and the last two spins definitely put it behind for me. I'd rank it as the 3rd best LP choreographically at this competition.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
OMG Gachinski, what you've done ! Destroyed my prediction totally :scowl:

Don't like Machida LP, especially because of the music, like SP more. He haven't any competition here really. Easy win

Nam did great job, I would place him on 2nd and Jason on 3rd but acceptable that Jason's choreo is more enjoyable

Jason really needs to get consistent quads asap if he wants to stay with the field progression. This 3A is not secure enough to do any job. Even Nam already overtook him technically

From this event I liked most Denis Ten SP overally, but not the the execution of it.....

Meoima

Match Penalty
That doesn't make any sense to me.
Because my rank is among the medalists. Does that make sense?

I liked Denis's LP, especially those arm movements in the second footwork sequence which Lori went all-out on, but I saw less nuance here and the last two spins definitely put it behind for me. I'd rank it as the 3rd best LP choreographically at this competition.
I think he can change it and add more details. As now I can see his Lp is more original than Jeremy. He has more potential because at least he can bring it out when it's truly needed.m

AprilS

On the Ice
I just noticed that Nam doesn't have his Sully... :slink: I was looking forward to his Sully...

Alba

Record Breaker
Just got home, just got to watch, but my heart sank like a stone through the floor when Artur's score came up on my phone...

Artur: I don't think Artur was actually that bad. I mean yeah, he popped the quad and singled the Axel. But he was nowhere near as bad as SOME *coughJeremycough*. He hit most of his triples and reasonably well. But I have a feeling I know why there were no combinations after the quad. He'd already done two double toes! He couldn't do any more or he'd zayak. I'm really sad for him. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

I wouldn't worry about Arthur, not for now at least.
We knew it's not going to be easy for him and he made some big changes this year, and you can see he has improved his skills.
It's his first competition and he needs time and confidence. It will come by competing.

@All: Pitkeev seems to have a earplug or something like that during his skating. Does anyone knows why he's using it?

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
The only thing I didn't enjoy about this event was there the (American? I watched on the tube of you) commentator kept on going "I wonder if he injured himself" re: Machida after the FS. Eh! Shush, I don't wanna hear it. He was probably just really, really tired. *fingers crossed*
Otherwise, wow. Especially thrilled with Nam Nguyen's performance. Sad about Jeremy Abbott, honestly, what is it with that man? Looking so good, and then... splashfest, or popfest.
And can I keep Machida's hair, plz? :love:

Ravensque

On the Ice
Nam's PC's will go up now with that placement and the bronze medal. I was really impressed by his level headed approach. He has all the goods....and the so important competitive nerves. Cudos to him and Brian. I really think he should have come 2nd, but it was Skate America. I was not impressed by anyone else's skating except for Machida who rose to the occasion as well.