2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14

TMC

Record Breaker
I am very sad for Jason. I think he was very underscored! I don't understand why Voronov received 90 points for this program! (Russian judges, of corse) Or Brezina ...

I'm a huge Jason fan and still I thought the judging was very good. Surprisingly good. Jason just made too many mistakes, and Voronov had the skate of his life.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
So there is no long program from Jason tomorrow??? Only the first 6 go on?

No...that's just for the Grand Prix Final. The best 6 after all the Grand Prix events go to the final. Everyone skates the long program tomorrow.

jace93

On the Ice
So there is no long program from Jason tomorrow??? Only the first 6 go on?

no:unsure:... in the gp series all the skaters get to skate both Sp and Lp... after the six event the six skaters/couples with most points (ie the best results) get to participate in the final

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well, once again I am completely cross-threaded. I do not understand the love for Voronov's program (Danse Macabre? again? that outfit? and it just didn't seem like either the dead were coming to life or heading back, for me: YMMV), although I am thrilled that an "older" skater did so well. I do love Juke, not just because it's Jason, and I can't help but think that calling it "cutesy" shows a lack of understanding for the 40s African American blues scene. (and what the heck is Jason supposed to do with it. He's cute and he smiles, that's who he is. Thank heavens he's not faking something he's not.)

I am very sad for Jason. I think he was very underscored! I don't understand why Voronov received 90 points for this program! (Russian judges, of corse) Or Brezina ...

Voronov's program has a much higher BV much better executed. That is more legitimately deserving of high scores than cuteness and smiles.

Also, good faking is good acting, aka as expression and interpretation.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I am so on edge of my seat to see battle of voronov and Fernandez! Sure Fernandez will have pcs advantage and bv advantage but can have problems. Voronov can have major problems too so sure Fernandez must be favorite but voronov did so well!!

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Aagh, wanted Max to blow it out this season. Wish Carriere had scored better, too ( haven't watched his program yet tho).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Voronov's program has a much higher BV much better executed. That is more legitimately deserving of high scores than cuteness and smiles.

Also, good faking is good acting, aka as expression and interpretation.

Good acting is in the eye of the beholder. Voronov skated much better than Jason today. Voronov did not emote, represent or in any way establish a link to Danse Macabre. Jason on the other hand has consistently represented the Chicago blues idiom in Juke, and represented it well. To dismiss it as cutesy and smiles shows a lack of knowledge of this idiom. Congrats to Voronov, however, on an excellent skate.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, I think Voronov emotes much more than Kozuka and yet nobody ever takes him to task for it...but these things are in the eye of the beholder. I think Jason and Misha overdo it much of the time (although I don't dislike either of them).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Good acting is in the eye of the beholder. ... Jason on the other hand has consistently represented the Chicago blues idiom in Juke, and represented it well. To dismiss it as cutesy and smiles shows a lack of knowledge of this idiom. .

But how much knowledge of the Chicago blues idiom should international judges (or even U.S. judges) be expected to have?

As a fan of Jason, I give him the benefit of the doubt that his SP is faithful to the idiom. (I myself lack knowlege of the idiom.)

How much Jason's authenticity would matter to the judges is a separate question.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Good acting is in the eye of the beholder. Voronov skated much better than Jason today. Voronov did not emote, represent or in any way establish a link to Danse Macabre. Jason on the other hand has consistently represented the Chicago blues idiom in Juke, and represented it well. To dismiss it as cutesy and smiles shows a lack of knowledge of this idiom. Congrats to Voronov, however, on an excellent skate.

I was only responding to your post about Jason's cuteness and smiles and how great it was he was not faking anything he was not to support your opinion of him deserving higher score than Voronov.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
But do you think that has been the difference 14 points?

makaihime

Final Flight
But do you think that has been the difference 14 points?

I haven't had the chance to watch the programs yet but looking at the protocols, the large difference came from TES and has nothing to do with presentation. The execution of each element/levels was better, and the difficulty was higher. So I would warrant that yes.