Jason Brown does not plan quad for Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown does not plan quad for Worlds

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
According to the article, two of the three American men must place 6th and 7th or higher to keep these three spots.

I do not see it happening. I can see Farris around 4th-5th with a bit of luck but the highest I can see Brown is 9th. Frankly, I would not be surprised if he missed the top 10 altogether.

Jason was already 9th at the Olympics with a less-than-perfect FS and that was with Chan, Machida and Takahashi there.

I think he can place higher. Again, I don't think any of the men are invincible.

Last edited:

centerpt1

On the Ice
It's a relatively weak field at Worlds this year, so they COULD keep the 3 spots. Rippon has been as high as 6th at a previous Worlds.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
It's a wise strategy. Best to leave this element for next season, or whenever it is "ready". His programs are already solid... I don't see much benefit in changing things at this stage of the season.

Curious though: Around US Nationals, most people seemed tired of hearing about the lack of quads, and that Jason should wait until this element is ready for competition (which looked like next season, at the time.) Later, most folks supported & admired Jason adding the 4T at 4CC. Now it seems opinion has shifted and that it's now a good decision to leave it out at Worlds. Is this just in response to the results at 4CC? Or if Jason had decided to plan a quad for Worlds, would the same support/admiration be offered for that decision as with 4CC, or do you think it would be a bad idea?

Maybe most Jason fans would support him regardless of his planned elements, which makes sense.

Just curious if there was any general thoughts on the quad, whether Jason should or shouldn't be attempting it now or in the near future (which would be the beginning of next season at this point), and how Jason could crack the top 5 at Worlds with relatively "easy" technical elements in his programs, compared to the other top men.

I think opinion has shifted between 4CC and Worlds because of the difference between the two competitions. Putting it out in a relatively risk-free competition like 4CC was good experience for Jason, but for Worlds there's the issue of keeping spots. If he planned a quad at Worlds after getting the << call at 4CC, I think many would argue that he should play it safe and focus on flawless programs.

Talking about risky quads and << calls though...while a lot of us seem relieved that Jason is going to play it safe, what about Adam's quad lutz? I'm thrilled and very, very nervous that he's going for it, but I'm not sure I'd be feeling the same way if Jason was going for the 4T, and I can't quite figure out why I have this reaction. Is it because the quad lutz is an even more "glamorous" element than the 4T, or maybe because Adam is so confident when he talks about it? Perhaps part of it is, for me, that Adam is an older competitor who has sort of fallen off the international radar whereas Jason is a rising star, and I realize that Adam really needs that wow moment to make the judges pay attention to him and maybe Jason doesn't. It's slightly off-topic, but I'm curious about the different receptions to the various quad strategies of the US men.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
According to the article, two of the three American men must place 6th and 7th or higher to keep these three spots.

I do not see it happening. I can see Farris around 4th-5th with a bit of luck but the highest I can see Brown is 9th. Frankly, I would not be surprised if he missed the top 10 altogether.

No, they don't need to two men to make 7th or higher. The two higher placements of the 3 men need to add up to 13 or lower. So, if one guy gets 5th, another has to be 8th. Of one manages 4th, a 9th place is enough.
IMO, I think Josh has a good shot at fulfilling his goal (top 5) and Jason could improve from his Olympics performances (where he was 9th). That would be enough to keep the spots.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Well many wanted to see quad from Jason at 4CC, but it showed that there is long way before getting this quad so it's the only right decision to not putting element that there isn't really

I would like to see 4Lz from Rippon but I don't have too much hope for that, we will see.... maybe

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Again, what is irritating to me is how you said Jason is lucky, as if he was the only one being lucky with the field looking weaker than last season (though I still don't view it as that much of a difference... Reynolds isn't there, but Nguyen is. Takahashi and Machida retired but DTen looks stronger than before and some of the younger ones like Han Yan IMO improved from last season and are getting stronger too).
If you want to focus on the 3 spots, that's not just Jasons job - there are 3 american men going. And Jason doesn't look like the most unreliable out of these. He isn't going into this as national champ because he was lucky, but simply because he was the best american man in the GP + at nationals. That doesn't exactly imply that other american men would have a better shot at defending the 3 spots. (JMO, but I would have felt 'safest' for the spots with a Jason-Josh-Max team, but I can't argue with Adams national LP. So we'll have to wait and see how the chips fall...)

What I meant is, with Machida and Chan out (and Uno/Murakami as well), the pressure to maintain the 3 spots isn't as great. I didn't mean to imply that he doesn't work hard or anything.

He was however actually lucky at Skate America where Nam totally should have won silver over him - hence my point that Nguyen being there won't likely make a difference to Brown's placement since Nguyen is getting lowballed on PCS (Nam only came 3rd at SA, getting 10 points lower PCS than Brown for a perfect FS).

Brown was also very lucky Farris Zayaked at Nationals, giving him the win even without a quad.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
All I can say is: See yesterday's NCAA Tournament games for reason why you can have all the hardest skill in the world, but when you don't come to the plate when it counts...watch out.

Jason, technically, is like Georgia State and University of Alabama-Birmingham. Nobody predicted either of those teams to beat much more superior teams. His competition is like Iowa State and Baylor.

GSU and UAB are going to the second round on Saturday. Iowa State and Baylor are going home.

Jason has a competitive mindset and can stay focus on the game. That is valuable in a high-pressure competition like Worlds, quad or not.

Of course, on the other hand, the Cinderellas don't always succeed either, LOL and there are superior teams that are SO good that no amount of grit and determination can make up for that.

However, IMO, there isn't any skater in the World field that is the equivalent of a team like Duke, Arizona, University of Kentucky or Villanova. Yuzuru and Javi are probably the closest, but they have been prone to poor performances.

The current men's figure skating field is full of Baylors and Iowa States. Teams that have the skill, but can be prone to silly mistakes. Actually Jason is more like UCLA -- a team who everyone thought was crazy to be in this tournament field and proved everyone wrong by totally kicking butt in the first round.

And thus end my endless college basketball analogies.

This is all madness, Mrs. P. :p

(sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Talking about risky quads and << calls though...while a lot of us seem relieved that Jason is going to play it safe, what about Adam's quad lutz? I'm thrilled and very, very nervous that he's going for it, but I'm not sure I'd be feeling the same way if Jason was going for the 4T, and I can't quite figure out why I have this reaction. Is it because the quad lutz is an even more "glamorous" element than the 4T, or maybe because Adam is so confident when he talks about it?

That may be part of it. I think the main reason Rippon was named to the World team is primarily due to the quad lutz. Without his technical content, I feel he would have been overlooked at Nationals, and Max or Jeremy may have been sent instead.

I don't think Rippon has the reputation or performances to carry him through without the technical elements he is attempting. That is my take.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In hindsight putting in the quad at 4CC was smart for the following reasons:

1.) It help him get over some major psychological barriers that he clearly had about the jump. (Which is a big part of doing anything successfully).

2.) It gave his team some data on what his quad, in its current state, looks like in competition.

3.) He has a new SP layout that will feel"easier" w/o a quad. (I'd imagine we're going to see a 3Z, 3A, 3F-3Tx, as opposed to 3A, 3F-3T, 3Zx, which is what he had been doing).

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It's a wise strategy. Best to leave this element for next season, or whenever it is "ready". His programs are already solid... I don't see much benefit in changing things at this stage of the season.

Curious though: Around US Nationals, most people seemed tired of hearing about the lack of quads, and that Jason should wait until this element is ready for competition (which looked like next season, at the time.) Later, most folks supported & admired Jason adding the 4T at 4CC. Now it seems opinion has shifted and that it's now a good decision to leave it out at Worlds. Is this just in response to the results at 4CC? Or if Jason had decided to plan a quad for Worlds, would the same support/admiration be offered for that decision as with 4CC, or do you think it would be a bad idea?Maybe most Jason fans would support him regardless of his planned elements, which makes sense.

Just curious if there was any general thoughts on the quad, whether Jason should or shouldn't be attempting it now or in the near future (which would be the beginning of next season at this point), and how Jason could crack the top 5 at Worlds with relatively "easy" technical elements in his programs, compared to the other top men.

I think Jason's decisions vis-a-vis including or not including the quad make perfect sense. Last year, he earned a berth to the Olympics with two brilliantly skated, quadless programs, beating out everyone except Jeremy. There was no reason to think he couldn't do it again this year and at least make the world team, if not win. Also, given his struggles with inconsistency and < jumps at the beginning of the season, it makes sense that he would focus on improving those things before adding a quad. The key for me with all three decisions you mention is that Jason, Kori and Rohene know what he is capable of far better than any of us do.

I personally don't think there's anything Jason can do to guarantee himself a top 5 finish right now, tho I don't think it's out of the question. I think he's right to focus on skating his quadless programs as well as possible, making sure not to give away points on spin levels and < jumps, and letting the chips fall where they may.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Buttle and lysacek are the model! Max your best. Don't overreach. IJS has no requirement for any specific jump. Great possibility of medaling maybe winning.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Buttle and lysacek are the model! Max your best. Don't overreach. IJS has no requirement for any specific jump. Great possibility of medaling maybe winning.

Buttle and Lysacek competed when quads were worth less and UR-ing was more punitive.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
What I meant is, with Machida and Chan out (and Uno/Murakami as well), the pressure to maintain the 3 spots isn't as great. I didn't mean to imply that he doesn't work hard or anything.

He was however actually lucky at Skate America where Nam totally should have won silver over him - hence my point that Nguyen being there won't likely make a difference to Brown's placement since Nguyen is getting lowballed on PCS (Nam only came 3rd at SA, getting 10 points lower PCS than Brown for a perfect FS).

Brown was also very lucky Farris Zayaked at Nationals, giving him the win even without a quad.

Sorry, I was at Skate America and I disagree. Nam deserved and received much higher TES in the FS than Jason, but in my opinion he did not deserve higher PCS than he received. He seemed like a little kid going through the motions. There wasn't a lot of energy. And he was quite slow.

With respect to Nats, there's no guarantee that if Josh hadn't repeated that element, everything else would have remained identical. The best you can say is that he might have won.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Buttle and Lysacek competed when quads were worth less and UR-ing was more punitive.

And now step sequences goe is worth more. It wasn't just a one way pro jump street. This is why Jason brown has been medaling and winning stuff without quads. As has been put so vividly on display more quads doesn't mean more success with quads and doesn't mean people without quads can't win. Example: Jason brown.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Part of the attitude to Jason was "just try it"

I honestly do not get that attitude. At all. But for whatever reason, some people think you should just try it. So even though he and his team knew it was not ready, they went with the flow and tried it at a competition that really did not formally matter beyond that competition.

It is almost like they wanted him to try it as a right of passage. Now that he has tried it, he has satisfied those that felt he should try it. Likewise now that they have seen it, I think some of them get more so why it is not in the program. So he satisfied people curiosity, and now it is just not as interesting as a topic. The sacrifice has been made and the spirits have been at least temporarily appeased.

I also think that some people may have thought it was farther along than it was. This clip came out in May of 2013, so I think some people thought that it was farther along than it is. I think many thought that he had it and just was scared, timid, whatever, and expected him to nail it the first time.

It is worth remembering that he originally planed use Riverdance for two season (I would assume a new sp still) and add the quad to that after he was comfortable with it. Good plan, did not take into account going viral. After that happened, they pretty quickly realized that he was not going to top Boston and needed a new program. In fact, Rohene actually called him at the Olympics to tell him he had picked out T&I for next season. So the plan was forced to change kinda suddenly, and for people who like to plan long term, that has an impact. . .often long term. My guess is that they simply logistically had to spend more time during the summer learning two new programs rather than working on the quad as planned. Had Riverdance not exploded, I think we may have seen a more prepared quad earlier in the season as he would have had a different training schedule. As it stands, he really had to try and do his best with what he can do best at. As he was USA's top guy on the Gran Prix and is national champion I think he made the right call this season. Kori hinted at keeping T&I two season back at the start of the season specifically because of the quad, so I am expecting that to be the plan. I suspect only having to lean a SP (I like Juke, but I think there are options that could be better and have more scoring potential, so I do think we will see a new SP, if for no reason other than that team KORO likely wants him to expand somewhat each year) will lead to a very different training schedule this off season that will allows for more quad training.

I think he clearly made the right all. By trying it at 4CC he shut people up about worlds. If he had not tried it, people would be quad quacking about it for worlds. . . again. I think he likely has lead to less stress and pressure and annoyance on him for worlds.

I also think Kori might have been more wise than we give her credit for in telling him right after nationals "you are doing a quad a 4CC". Ashley Wagner talked about how part of her trouble with 2014 nationals is that after being one spot away from the Olympics four years ago, she built up Nationals way too much and turned it to a big scary monster for her. She created her own enemy by thinking about it too much. Kori's strategy keeps that from happening. She gave him two weeks to worry about it. Not enough time to turn it into a monster, she said lets to kill it while it is a baby and be done with it. Now the first quad is done and dead, and will not be a big scarey monster looming in the distance. He has World's right after so a nice shiny object of sorts to distract him with as soon as he gets back so he can move on and not dwell on it. He has something he is looking forward to and comfortable with that he can focus on and move forward. Really psychologically doing it there had some pretty damn strong upsides.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
...How is this news? Did anyone expect Jason to be crazy enough to run off to Worlds with 4T<<? :unsure:

gmyers

Record Breaker
...How is this news? Did anyone expect Jason to be crazy enough to run off to Worlds with 4T<<? :unsure:

Lots sill think quads are important to have in men's skating. It's news when someone goes against conventional wisdom. But just like brown said - paraphrasing - he didn't need a quad to go to sochi or win US title or a 3a in Jrs. He doesn't need what's considered the hardest jump.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Honestly at this point while the field is still weak he should just focus on being clean, his best bet is to keep 3 spots because unless everyone else splats I doubt they would reward a quadless man with a world medal.

Last edited: