Jason Brown does not plan quad for Worlds | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown does not plan quad for Worlds

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There's a practice clip of a fully rotated quad that was slightly two footed., 4CC's is the only competition where he tried it. He wasn't practicing it at US Nationals AFAIK.

I'm looking to see him try this at the Jump competition they have at the beginning of summer at the Broadmoor competition, and perhaps at Glacier Falls summer competition.

phaeljones

On the Ice
We are all Jason fans, I think, so I am not second guessing that he is not spectacular skater or Kori. I appreciate it is obvious to everyone that he needs quads, and yes, everyone knows that he is working on them. But he does not have them.

My point is that he seems to be already behind the ever-improving kids and the scores are starting to reflect that. Not tomorrow, but today. He is in a catch-up position right now and (although so many of you who I respect disagree) it should be concerning.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But is the question who "has" quads, or who is actually landing quads? And who is landing quads *consistently* in competitions?

I agree with other posters who have said, in this and other threads, I don't want to see skaters attempt quads. Heck, I can attempt a quad. I want to see them land it, fully rotated, on one skate. In more than just one program at one competition. Or on a 50/50 basis where I need to hold my breath. Otherwise, I don't see the hard-charging competition as all that hard-charging (I am of course excepting the "Big Three" of the current medalists, bu let's face it, D10 is not the model of consistency either, so maybe just the Big Two?)

That said, I am sure Jason wants to medal, and I am sure that Jason wants a quad. I therefore would like to see one. When it is ready. Which presumably someday we will;). But that's just my outlook....

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
We are all Jason fans, I think, so I am not second guessing that he is not spectacular skater or Kori. I appreciate it is obvious to everyone that he needs quads, and yes, everyone knows that he is working on them. But he does not have them.

My point is that he seems to be already behind the ever-improving kids and the scores are starting to reflect that. Not tomorrow, but today. He is in a catch-up position right now and (although so many of you who I respect disagree) it should be concerning.

He is definitely in a catch up position relative to the top 3 and Chan (who is looking to come back). But I don't think Nam beating Jason in the FS is a similar indicator of that scenario there. There is still 1.) A PCS buffer and 2.) Nam with a quad barely beat someone who had no quad and a 3A<<.

I wonder if there is a way to balance out the complex chroreo so perhaps it's not so taxing. I feel the problem with the second 3A is more a reflection of that than his ability to do the jump. Last season, even with the stalking entrance, he hit the 3A on all his SPs.

Well the good news, it's the off-season and he's not doing any major touring so he has time to work on all this stuff.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Even if Jason had done a quad in both the long and short programs, he probably would not have been able to close the 20 point gap between his score and that of the bronze medalist. So how can he close such a gap?
Well, of course, his triple axel has to be nearly foolproof and high quality, which it isn't. In the long, his solo triple axel was downgraded and he only got 0.43 GOE for the one he did in combination. As I recall that was a 3/2. A 3/3 would help him . I find it odd reading that Kori has performed a "miracle" with the axel. What actually happened, hardly seems like a miracle imo. Since the vast majority of men got negative goes on attempted quads, maybe Jason should just go ahead and attempt them too, even if they aren't executed well.

Except that it actually would not help him. He can repeat 2 triples, he repeats his 3Z and and 3A, the two highest value triples. It would not be worth it to repeat the 3T instead of one of them. Under the current scoring system, a 3A+3T followed by a 3F+2T, is worth the same base point as a 3A+2T followed by a 3F+3T. So it makes more sense for him to go for the combinations that he does well and go for better GOE on each as their is no current reward for the harder layout. I would not be opposed to something changing that did make it worth it to do what you suggest, but right now, math wise there is no reward.

slider11

Medalist
Jason, for me, is the gold standard as to how a young skater becomes a champion skater. Kori Ade is a genius. She has take a young, talented skater and highlighted his strengths while methodically building on his area of needs. Over the last couple years you see this evolving skater who provides such maturity in his transitions, showing flexibility, speed and musical highlights to his moves. His jumps are solid for the most part and he has the full compliment of triples. He is 20 years old and can now be considered close to grown physical maturity. His joints have not been worn like those of a 50 year old by pushing him to compete insane numbers of revolutions while his body is still growing. He is on a steady course to be on the podium in the next 2-3 years. I can't wait!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
^^^^
This. While it is tempting the skate gods if any, Kori's strategy seems to emphasize keeping skaters as injury free as possible rather than going for immediate rewards. A good idea IMO

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Indeed. Kori's strategy is built to last. I already accepted long ago that Jason was going to outlast both Joshua and Max. She's just worked it so cleverly, and I have every faith that when the time is right, things will come together, just as they did for the 3A.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Indeed. Kori's strategy is built to last. I already accepted long ago that Jason was going to outlast both Joshua and Max. She's just worked it so cleverly, and I have every faith that when the time is right, things will come together, just as they did for the 3A.

If that happens, I hope other skaters and coaches are able to take a look at them and learn from it so we don't lose so many skaters to wearing out their bodies. Maybe if we see Jason do well at a delayed schedule with less injury, others will do the same as well. Their strategy might end up helping other skaters down the road.