2015 Japan Open | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2015 Japan Open

Khoai

Match Penalty
He has a HUGE 86.42 BV. He hit all his jumps and spins, including 2 great 3as and 2 quads, that gives him at least 10 points in goe. In this case, 12 points. He got 86 in pcs, maybe a little inflated, but that kind of score is not entirely new for him, he got 82.44 pcs (167 total) in the 2015 four continents with a fall and other problems. He scored 185 overall, if you take 3 points off in pcs and 2 points off in TES, he still has a massive 180. He's just a very talented young man with an incredibly difficult program, great skating skills, steps, spins and artistry, and unlike his competitors, he performed his program perfectly. That's it. Hanyu, Chan and even Fernandez can score close to 200 if they skate perfectly, but that rarely happens.
Unoflation is the new trend. And this is even worse than inflation.

Slanted take off in the axel, still get +2GOE. Tell this to Mr. Han Yan, maybe he will get more motivation to train the 4A. I feel bad for the guy.

And Mr. Uno did no difficult entry. If he did just a spread eagle, I am sure they would have given him +3 across the board.

Terrible camel position, still get the GOE.

Perfect for JSF to sell the Unoflation for Japanese audience.

This will kill the sport. No one need to learn good technique and train their best for better jump quality anymore.

And don't let me start with the tiny jumps of Miss Satoko getting 71 TES.

Thank you JSF. You have opened my eyes.

Last edited:

randomfan

Record Breaker
My impressions for ladies:

1. Mao was simply amazing! I love her new program and I even forgot that this is her very first competition after a 1-year break! Like I said I love this "Madame Butterfly" program and I'm excited to see it throughout the season! I loved her dress and it looked very stunning during the layback spin. I loved her beautiful 3A and 3S and it's too bad that even though she fixed her lutz edge she wasn't able to quite get it here. Plus the PCS should've been slightly higher. But anyway I'm really looking forward to Mao this season :popcorn:
2. Satoko was also gorgeous. I think her program is my favourite out of all the top skaters right now. I wasn't a big fan of Satoko before, but I think I'm starting to really become one gradually. Her dress is beautiful and you can see her artistry a lot in the program. I think she was underscored in PCS too, but it could be because she skated early.
3. Liza did okay for the most part. I think her fall on the 3A could've been because she was skating after Mao who landed it nicely which got Liza nervous. As for the program itself, I'm still not a fan of it, but after seeing it in much better quality than at the Russian Test Skates I guess it's not as bad as I initially thought (though I still do not like the vocals in the middle).
4. Okay, first of all I apologize to all the Adelina fans for judging her even before watching the actual performance. I actually quite enjoyed her program. It's WAY better than her FS before and my favourite part was the ChSq. However, I do still think her PCS was a bit too high. To be fair though, everyone's PCS here were questionable - some people deserved more and some people deserved less. For Adelina I think it would've been better giving her a 64 or 65.
5. I think the judges were a bit too harsh on Ashley here. Both of her TES and PCS should've been slightly higher. They may have held her back for going first. Her "Moulin Rouge" was one of my favourites last year but I don't know, it feels slightly awkward this time.
6. Gracie's TES seemed fair, but I really do not understand how she beat both Satoko and Ashley in PCS. They both performed better than Gracie and yes Gracie skated after them but it just seemed really unfair. The choreography is great to see but if Gracie does not start getting more consistent then the choreography will start being pointless no matter how good it is.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Ashley and Gracie :hopelessness:

Not so surprised by Ashley...she was doing shows all summer and I didn't expect her to be in her top competitive shape yet. It's good she still has some time before Skate Canada. But Gracie :bang:. As shown in her practice videos, she's CLEARLY physically ready for competition. I love her Firebird program so much...but I wonder if we will ever see it clean in international competition.

Congrats to Mao and Satoko for skating so well! I'm feeling so much more optimistic about Mao's comeback.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I don't get all the harping on Satoko's jumps. I'm sure she's working hard but if she physically can't jump higher, then she just can't. I would not give her +2 and +3 like candy but her components are too low. Everything else about her is top-notch. The best skate she's had. Her refinement compared to the Russian ladies is miles ahead... Love, love, LOVE this program.

Shoma, again this is a guy than can do it. Some of his jumps are dodgy but his skating skills are great for his age, and his presentation is so much better compared to last season and you can tell (or at least I can) he's making a concerted effort to improve his presentation. I love the program.

Mao was, well, Mao. I'm SO happy she put in a strong performance to start the season. Her skating quality, flow, easy across the ice...it's unmatched currently. Sure the program may be a little empty in some places now but her programs usually start like that (i.e. Rach 2).

Rocky start for Liza. She just needs some time to work the bugs out. I like the dress. 3A entry is very...unappealing. Spins aren't committed enough.

Javi. His components are getting outrageous. I hope that's not a sign for the season, given a practically perfect Yuzu only gets 92-ish.

Patrick has some technical work to do. But that's expected after a year+ off...

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I hope Mao does not add in any more transitions. I really hope she doesn't. The program is delicate and beautiful. We need that uncomplicated flow over the ice. It's been lost for too long.

The only thing she needs to add now is the 3Flip+3Toe (and of course the 3Flip+2Loop+2Loop, which she had to leave out or else there would have been a zayak problem).

Khoai

Match Penalty
I hope Mao does not add in any more transitions. I really hope she doesn't. The program is delicate and beautiful. We need that uncomplicated flow over the ice. It's been lost for too long.

The only thing she needs to add now is the 3Flip+3Toe (and of course the 3Flip+2Loop+2Loop, which she had to leave out or else there would have been a zayak problem).
I remember Miss Asada is weak at toe pick jumps, some said she had weak ankle?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
let's mark the calendar :) we agree for once :)
I don't get all the harping on Satoko's jumps. I'm sure she's working hard but if she physically can't jump higher, then she just can't. I would not give her +2 and +3 like candy but her components are too low. Everything else about her is top-notch. The best skate she's had. Her refinement compared to the Russian ladies is miles ahead... Love, love, LOVE this program.

Shoma, again this is a guy than can do it. Some of his jumps are dodgy but his skating skills are great for his age, and his presentation is so much better compared to last season and you can tell (or at least I can) he's making a concerted effort to improve his presentation. I love the program.

Mao was, well, Mao. I'm SO happy she put in a strong performance to start the season. Her skating quality, flow, easy across the ice...it's unmatched currently. Sure the program may be a little empty in some places now but her programs usually start like that (i.e. Rach 2).

Rocky start for Liza. She just needs some time to work the bugs out. I like the dress. 3A entry is very...unappealing. Spins aren't committed enough.

Javi. His components are getting outrageous. I hope that's not a sign for the season, given a practically perfect Yuzu only gets 92-ish.

Patrick has some technical work to do. But that's expected after a year+ off...

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Well as for Japanese skaters, I understand home inflation is the best, but it was too much really even for JO, Uno's scores are big question marks for me, he skated really great but...:) I totally can't get on which planet Javier got better PCS than Chan, Parick was off I agree and he needs to work a lot on his jumps but still, he was judged too harshy.

Khoai

Match Penalty
She said she was working on 3F+3T but we haven't seen any clips of it yet.
Then the info that Miss Asada has weak ankle isn't reliable. I think 3F3T is better choice for 3F3Lo because unless you are young skaters under 15, tech panel will not ratify that combo.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Well as for Japanese skaters, I understand home inflation is the best, but it was too much really even for JO, Uno's scores are big question marks for me, he skated really great but...:)

Quite simple...He's got a HUGE 86.42 BV, hit all the 13 elements, including spins, jumps (2 triple axels with great execution and 2 quads) and steps, which gives him at least 10 points in goe, resulting in at least 97 in TES. Pcs (86) were a little inflated, for sure, but he deserves at least some 8s for components (he got 82.44 pcs in 2015 4cc), he has great skating skills, good transitions, performance and overall artistry. 185 is too much, but (97 + 83) 180 is realistic. Still a huge score. http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2015-2016/jo/data0105.pdf

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Then the info that Miss Asada has weak ankle isn't reliable. I think 3F3T is better choice for 3F3Lo because unless you are young skaters under 15, tech panel will not ratify that combo.

Speculation is that she's only working on 3F+3T for maybe adding it to the short program. I can't see her taking the 3F+3Lo out of the free...

Khoai

Match Penalty
Quite simple...He's got a HUGE 86.42 BV, hit all the 13 elements, including spins, jumps (2 triple axels with great execution and 2 quads) and steps, which gives him at least 10 points in goe, resulting in at least 97 in TES. Pcs (86) were a little inflated, for sure, but he deserves at least some 8s for components (he got 82.44 pcs in 2015 4cc), he has great skating skills, good transitions, performance and overall artistry. 185 is too much, but (97 + 83) 180 is realistic. Still a huge score. http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2015-2016/jo/data0105.pdf
You forgot to take into account that everyone at 4CC got good scores as well. So in general judges were lenient to all guys at 4CC. But of course how can anyone forget, GOE for his 3A at 4CC was almost as high as Mr. Han Yan, it's the biggest joke ever.

And don't let me start with screenshot of Mr Uno's very not very pleasing spin position, weak landing and very slanted take off.

I think 175-177 is more reasonable given the low quality of his jumps. And since when the judges should reward skaters for skating clean in both GOE and PCS?

Unoflation only at the dawn, worse than Chanfaltion.

In fact, this is the worst inflation ever. My coach laughed so hard when we saw his performance and his scores.

I am picturing Mr. Uno with over 100 points for SP at Skate America. Or over 100 TES in the LP at TEB. Either way is possible at this rate.

JSF knows how to sell their skaters, but this is the fastest selling ever.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
As wonderful as Shoma's program was... Judge 7 should be ashamed of them selves! :no::unsure:

I saw that as well. Lol :sarcasm: :laugh: Though Shoma won't get 100 at Skate America. It'll be a while before that.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
ALL HAIL THE QUEEN OF THE ICE, MAO ASADA

That was wonderful.

I must agree. I was thrilled to see her very good attempt at a proper 3Lz, and every one of her jumps looked strong in this program. What impresses me most is that she is one of a handful of skaters who can build speed executing her transitional moves, whereas most other simply do them just to accrue points. I hope she is able to keep up this form because, if she does, I think only a record-breaking TES from Liza could top Mao.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Something about Satoko's jumps is that (when she lived in America in her early years) she actually rotated clockwise -- when she moved to Japan later on, she had to completely re-learn all her jumps and rotate counterclockwise because the rinks were too crowded and jumping in another direction goes against the general flow and would cause major issues. It's just speculation, but I have to say that this must have had a significant impact on the current state of her jumps today if she essentially had to learn jumps twice within the same time frame as everyone else.