2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 2 | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 2

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Could someone remind how the money is split among the teams?

After the 2nd day the skaters got some cash. 1 place(team NA) got 15,000$ each(+5000% DR and WP),2 place (Europe) -10,000$, 3 place- 7,500$.

Thanks, seems quite fair. And I am glad that skaters will receive some financial appreciation in the end of the long season. Nothing compared with say tennis but, anyway. Elena will be able to keep on bringing new dresses.

Not to mention that in addition, Elena will receive her share of the Day 1 prize money for the men's/ladies SPs.

Although still very little compared to tennis, her $5000 from Day 1 also will be a nice boost for her budget for dresses ;) ... or for anything else.

(The OPs for the Day 1 thread and the Day 2 thread have all the information on prize money.)

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Maddening. I cannot find the count-up of points anywhere. I understand throught the pairs/dance. But, don't know how singles were added on

Ekm

On the Ice
I only hope that ISU will restrict this kind of scoring to US soil to please the audience and save the local market. If this goes on next season outside of the US I say it is already clear where the Pyeonchang OGM wil go.

Because over scoring is a totally a US only phenomenon, how quickly the insane scores from some of the SR Bs have been forgotten. I think I/Z had the second or third highest score in ice dance for awhile due to one of them.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Schindler's List had impact? Lol I liked it but it's not like she was Witt in 1994 (and even describing that as having an impact could be stretching it). People get bamboozled so easily these days...

rosy14

Final Flight
Uno is a total baller. Yet, DR with a 17 pt. lead over SK is something that should never happen. Rus pairs neeed to step up!
After the victory at GPF S/K had a sereis of injuries, first her, then him. They started to practise the whole routine just few days before Worlds. And at Worlds they were underscored (PCS) IMO. All the Russians were, except Eugenia.

sarama

Medalist
I'd say that Zhenya's program may be more sophisticated and intellectual, but if we talk power of message, impact and the costume(!) Julia's SL is hard to beat.
To be honest, it's very hard to compare the two for me - yes it's similar style, same choreographer, but the skaters and stories they're telling are so much different. :scratch3:

Julia's program managed to draw me in every time I saw it, and it still does when I rewatch it, while Zhenia's program started to look (to me) nothing more than a good background for her elements after a while. At the beginning of the season I really liked it and then it just felt flat, I don't know why. Of course this is not something that should affect scores, or that necessarily has to do with the skater's ability.

rosy14

Final Flight
No one in fs is better at spins and steps and pcs than brown and jumps are largely irrelevent to his success. All he needs is one triple axel in sp and fs to be near medaling and 4th in the world.

But...please...don't be so silly.

rosy14

Final Flight
It amazes me how much money people have. How do they expect to do that when they live in different countries. I just can't fathom beable to afford skating let alone life - proms and travelling to a prom. I mean already surely there is travel for the family to watch big competitions, paying for the travel of the coach and choreographer sometimes to travel. hey did anyone see who was in the k and c area as to coach for Nam?[/QUOTE

It was a joke concocted by Gabrielle and Gracie and Polina too. Next year Nam will train with the same coach as Polina

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Because over scoring is a totally a US only phenomenon, how quickly the insane scores from some of the SR Bs have been forgotten. I think I/Z had the second or third highest score in ice dance for awhile due to one of them.

Considering the Weimar Germany-era levels of inflation for Worlds scoring this year, that is, to put it mildly, a highly debatable position.

#justsaying

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Um... I slept through everything, but yay Lena for rebounding from yesterday, yay Shoma and Jason, and ladies' group 3 sounded awesome? :cheer:

rosy14

Final Flight
I sincerely wish we could keep conspiracy theories regarding overscoring out of competition threads. It lowers the quality and fun of discussing competitions when everything turns into "so and so was overscored, looks like the judges are propping up X country."

Well, it is called " home factor" and it is present in every sport. However the scandal is not in the home factor per se, but in the measure in which it's used, and when there are bigger stakes as today at TCC. Say, for instance, at Olympics. And if one tricks one Olympics, the next will be tricked too, and so on and on, ad libitum, unless a very strong, strong athlete appears, and no matter tricks and cheats, he/she will win everything.
Any case I find all the debates about world records in skating very futile. The only true records are those against a chronometer.

rosy14

Final Flight
It was a fun and entertaining event, not to be taken too seriously, like splitting hairs over these incredible scores. Speaking of scores, perhaps a different scoring system would be appropriate here to ensure no confusion with real competitions. Christopher Dean was the major highlight for me - top star of the show! Plus the prom banner from Nam... Too cute - this is what will be remembered. And of course Shoma's quad is an amazing bonus!

The real issues are not THESE scores, but those at Worlds, in general and in particular: some scores were too high, others too low, in the same competition and for executions apparently quite similar to previous ones, assessed in a totally different ways.

boskil

Match Penalty
Schindler's List had impact? Lol I liked it but it's not like she was Witt in 1994 (and even describing that as having an impact could be stretching it). People get bamboozled so easily these days...
You mean that bamboozled Spielberg guy, writing the letter to Julia about having his all family in tears watching her performance, Witt herself giving her standing ovation live in Sochi, that Russian top movie director admitting he didn't care much about sports before, but after Lipnitskaya's skate he "ran out of the arena to not spoil the effect by watching the rest of the show", Jewish communities thanking her for honoring Holocaust, accolades from sport commentators, experts, other coaches (Mishin's "Lipnitskaya taught us something more than figure skating"), skaters, hundreds of artists writing songs, poems, drawing paintings, pictures of skating "Girl in Red"?
Then of course HORDES of little girls dragged by their bedazzled parents to Russian skating schools in February 2014 "to be like Julia", politicians, officials showering her with compliments, prizes, state awards, invitations to ceremonies, visiting schools etc.. Heck, somebody named a star after her! :laugh:

Please, tell me you're trolling or I'm gonna feel obligued to come to the rescue and roll back that big rock... ;)

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Well done again Evgenia :clap:

I think the story the choreography of Med's program is telling is far more complex and requires more range than the little girl in the red coat. Little girl in the red coat from Schindler's List is certainly moving and memorable, but it's somewhat more one-note than Med's program. But Schindler's List is also more accessible to general audiences than the story Averbukh is telling in Med's program.

I didn't care for this program up until Worlds, really. Part of that is my own dumbness, probably, but I also think it took time for Evgenia to learn how to tell this complicated story with her face and her movements effectively. But she learned to do it and now this program just blows me away.

What's the story?

boskil

Match Penalty
the story Averbukh is telling in Med's program.
What's the story?
She's portraying deaf girl trying to embrace our "normal" world: the whole idea is based on sign language, which she trained before the season under supervision of professional translator of people with hearing disorders. The girl is curious of surrounding world, world she can't hear, but also the world she's not afraid and is trying to explore. The beginning: ear covering gestures express her disability, but also instantly the smile indicates the youthful zeal and openess, then the curtains she makes with her hands at the rink side are symbols of barriers between her world of silence and ours; she is bypassing them, pushing through to the touching end, when she "says" in sign language: "I can't hear you, but get goosebumps feeling you deep in my heart. I'm not afraid of you, I open up to you".

Last edited: