2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The painful: Oh Max. Karne will be pleased to know that I thought he had the loudest ovation when he was called--the anticipation was enormous. That first fall just rattled him and it went off the rails. There were audible groans and "awwws" when his scores came up. I think this will be an amazing vehicle for him, but it's hard to judge from this performancd because he was really visibly unsettled after that first fall. I got the saddest picture of him in the Kiss and Cry. I threw him a rose anyway :( .

:cry: Thankyou for throwing him something, Nathan13...you threw him more than the judges did.

I hope the Lion King has his claws out on Sunday for you.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jeremy and Richard Dornbush splatted all the time. Adam has no quad. Farris was a hit and miss case, mostly miss. I just find it strange that American men think not having a quad is no hindrance to success. Oh well, there is always the Lysacek success story. I'm all for Chen and Zhou getting Worlds spot.

:rolleye:

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan and Evgenia are very remarkably similar in this regard. They both seem very confident and intimidating on the practice ice, with Nathan and his quad arsenal and Evgenia with 3-3-3-3s.
More remarkable is Nathan having hip surgery and being off the ice for five months and doing what he's doing now. He's one tough cookie and is mentally tough. Of course it helps to be 16,17 you heal fast.

Last edited:

iamchrislao

On the Ice
goodness. Youtube has everything EXCEPT Nathan Chen's SP. WT****! seriously?!?!?! Like trust me....the rest can wait! ugh! how upsetting!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Atrocious competition. The only good program was from Ross Miner. Spins are just embarrassing and boring these days. Even some of Jason Brown's positions aren't too good anymore. The footwork makes no sense. No big ideas or deep emotions or interesting movements are being conveyed overall by the competitors.

Nathan Chen has brought the Quads but I just don't care. It's in service of nothing. He deserves lots of credit for delivering but this just isn't what skating should be.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Peter Carruthers is not on IN. It's Michael Weiss.

Or do you mean Carruthers is on Universal?

I was talking about Universal. Carruthers was on tonight, but I was saying that we had Ryan Bradley on there for the GPF mens event.

Last edited:

reneerose

Final Flight
So true! He's clearly very mentally tough and confident, executes well under pressure. A champion.

I love what Nathan said in the post SP presser about being ready for the heightened attention competing at the World level.

I'm glad that Ross got a slot, but I was also sad for Max and Grant.

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - a guy has a stress fracture in his leg, skates a beautiful program with a few screw-ups and all of a sudden he's out of the picture. But excuses are being made for other skaters right and left - a new program, skate Gods against them, yada! yada! The ice is slippery people! On any given day a skater can excel or splat. The splatting is unfortunate when it happens at US Nationals. But that's the sport. It all comes down to "what have you done for me lately!" I think Nathan did a great job but I still fear for his physical well-being with (1) practicing a zillion quads; and (2) landing those zillion quads. At least he has relatively good performance skills and it's not just a jump fest. I'm not feeling Vincent Zhou. I thought his presentation skills were much, much better when I saw him skate in 2012. I don't think he's grown into his body yet and internationally he's going to get eaten up. Let him skate juniors internationally for another year to get that experience.

I have no clue who will represent the US at Worlds. Anything can happen at this point with the top 5 or 6. It's just discouraging to come in here and read all the negativity about everyone except the top 3 after the SP. It can all change in the free skate.

Basically I have to agree with Blades - so far the mens and ladies SPs were sort of not good overall.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I feel like next season the Shibutanis should give Jason their SD music...I can't help but think of "That's Life" with his nationals scenario at the moment. I do think that going last did hurt him because he had to wait all that time to go and as Michael Weiss said injury-doubt can play havoc if you're not careful.

Overall top 3 had wonderful performances. I also enjoyed Timothy, Jordan and Andrew.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I do think that going last did hurt him because he had to wait all that time to go and as Michael Weiss said injury-doubt can play havoc if you're not careful.

Maybe going first in the LP will help Jason out. *crosses fingers*

frida80

Record Breaker
goodness. Youtube has everything EXCEPT Nathan Chen's SP. WT****! seriously?!?!?! Like trust me....the rest can wait! ugh! how upsetting!

Wait they have everything but Nathan's? Because I thought maybe because it wasn't on NBC sports that they just couldn't upload it. You mean to tell me that they've uploaded everything with Nathan's?! That's the one I want to see over and over again!

beki

Medalist
Being the optimistic one is not usually my role. But I think with Hiwatashi, Torgashev, Savary and Zhou battling it out we can really get somewhere in the next few years. And Chen is a contender now. We're just in a transitional phase.

Jason is obviously injured so I wouldn't make tonight a referendum on his career. Adam managed to make the GPF before he got injured. It's not that bleak.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Being the optimistic one is not usually my role. But I think with Hiwatashi, Torgashev, Savary and Zhou battling it out we can really get somewhere in the next few years. And Chen is a contender now. We're just in a transitional phase.

Jason is obviously injured so I wouldn't make tonight a referendum on his career. Adam managed to make the GPF before he got injured. It's not that bleak.

Also Alexei in juniors!

deedee1

Record Breaker
First of all, Nathan! :rock:

Emotional moments for me: Ross did skate very well, which we haven't seen from him for a long time. Job well done! :thumbsup:
Sean for his clean skate! Moeller and Phan, must have been so hard coming back from injuries. :points:

Sad for Jason and Max. I am more worried about their fans like karne... Is she alright? :ghug: to their fans. Hopefully they will regain themselves and strong showings in FS. Fingers crossed. btw, I really loved Max's new look on ice, including the costume. :agree:

Personally I loved Kevin Shum, first time for me to see his skate but he has pretty good staking skills I thougt. :) Our commentary said he studies in MIT. :shocked: AMAGING!
Savary, Zhou, Torgashev all have a bright future ahead of them. :) Please keep improving, and most importantly please stay healthy. :yes:

Onto FS. Good luck again to all! :clapper: