2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men SP

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Congratulations Nathan, That's the way to build your Olympic campaign. Great attitude too! Eyes on the prize...calm and collected.

Choreographic content wise, I prefer his FS (I find his SP choreography just missed the mark some music highlights), but this is a true technical marvel that can compete with the worldclass top men preoccupied by Hanyu, Patrick, Javier! Tremendous, so impressive!! Presentation improved each time, how far can he go. Finally getting the PCS he should be getting, hope he get to keep them going forward.

My fav of the night however goes to Ross Miner. The N. American contemporary style I love so much, just great pure skating from a matured seasoned man skating.

Jason Brown... well he may be comforted by the fact they did create the Jason Brown rule this year, so he may still be given a chance if he skate relatively clean in the FS.

Totally gutted for Adam, he would have a big chance this year if he had remained healthy.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
@OS What is the Jason Brown Rule?
Do you mean the new US criteria for choosing the World Team?

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Ok, where are steps to Nathan's 4F ? ;)

I know I am boring with the same question over and over for other skaters too, but this makes me sad judges are not respecting rules

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
@OS What is the Jason Brown Rule?
Do you mean the new US criteria for choosing the World Team?

Yes. It's not the Jason Brown rule though, IMO, since his early season success weighs less than Worlds last year, which he missed.

It was actually the Ashley Wagner rule first since it's basically the same crittera (minus the tiers) that helped her get on the Olympic team. They just revised it, that's all.

Rule or no rule, Jason does have a good shot at 4CC if he stays in fourth cause Vincent (if he stays in second) would need to get senior TES for worlds(he doesn't have it for 4CC either) and the completion to do that is the same weekend as 4CC.

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/01/20/214041810

This article notes that Jason started practicing 3As earlier in the week and triple flip/triple Lutz late last week. So really a race against time...

Last edited:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
That was awful. Well, with one exception, lol:dance3. Love max but hernia surgery? Also why did they change his style? Torn, for whatever artistic weaknesses it had, suited him. Now he can't jump, he's too busy trying to do a dance.

Same with Jason. Why is he trying to be Ross Miner, skating to a ballad in a gray shirt? He and Max should've changed programs. Both men are known for a distinctive style of skating and they bombed at cookie cutter routines.

Please, leave Nate the way he is. He will develop a style and earn Pcs points in his own way. I don't want to see him as Hanyus twin next year.

Icey

Record Breaker
I find Jason's "artistry" not bad, but incredibly overrated. Beautiful spins, though.

That's it. His artistry is good, but not that much better than others who are technically skilled that he can continue not to up up his tech ability. He is, as some say, being left behind in the proverbial dust. And even his artistry is becoming predictable to the point that it no longer has the impact it once did.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
That's it. His artistry is good, but not that much better than others who are technically skilled that he can continue not to up up his tech ability. He is, as some say, being left behind in the proverbial dust. And even his artistry is becoming predictable to the point that it no longer has the impact it once did.

Give the guy a break. He can't up his technical ability the way people want right now if he is recovering from a stress fracture. He only just started praticing the 3A like a week ago.

He has the 8th highest SB at the moment. People sure have short memories. This is obviously not a 100 percent Jason.

Also if people thinks he is trying to get by via politics then why the heck is he here? He obviously wants to earn the spot for whatever competition on the ice. He can't control how the committee reacts.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
It was a dark and stormy night in Clovis, Ca. With a bad stream and a power outage that limited my ability to see over half the Men. Including Nathan who I just watched over my morning coffee. I can't imagine anyone who could tell me this young man is just a jumper as he is clearly much more. Yes, the fact that he has a 2 quad SP is spectacular but the fact that they are the most difficult quads he could possibly do, make his SP virtually impossible to beat. He has shown vast improvement in his spins, especially the positions as they are unique and fast. Lastly, for being as young as he is, he has really learned how to perform. I am very impressed with him and if he can stay healthy, he is an absolute medal threat at Worlds and the Olympics.

Bravo to this new star......:points:

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

Strongly disagree... Jason is one of the best, most skilled skaters in Team USA... accent on Team!!! I, for one, wholeheartedly welcome the young upcoming skaters we have seen here tonight... Nathan is a phenomenon, no question, but ALL skaters are needed to make a world class team, not just one golden egg in the basket. In an injury-prone sport, with Olympics in a year's time, it is essential we have a strong team that can bring every single weapon in its arsenal to table, just in case that one golden egg fails through no fault of his own... The US needs to begin looking at FS as a team sport with individual performers. In this context, it is counterproductive to dismiss one of the USA's best skaters without acknowledging his ability to contribute going forward.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
Give the guy a break. He can't up his technical ability the way people want right now if he is recovering from a stress fracture. He only just started praticing the 3A like a week ago.

He has the 8th highest SB at the moment. People sure have short memories. This is obviously not a 100 percent Jason.

Also if people thinks he is trying to get by via politics then why the heck is he here? He obviously wants to earn the spot for whatever competition on the ice. He can't control how the committee reacts.

No, he probably can't up his technical skill while injured, but he has had time in the past, when not injured, to do that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No, he probably can't up his technical skill while injured, but he has had time in the past, when not injured, to do that.

Did you forget prior to the injury he was attempting the quad in both programs. It's not like he wasn't trying.

TMC

Record Breaker
Here's an idea: why not have just four skaters/teams for each discipline at nationals? That way, the losers who don't win medals are immediately eliminated and nobody has to worry about watching them :sarcasm:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Being the optimistic one is not usually my role. But I think with Hiwatashi, Torgashev, Savary and Zhou battling it out we can really get somewhere in the next few years. And Chen is a contender now. We're just in a transitional phase.

Jason is obviously injured so I wouldn't make tonight a referendum on his career. Adam managed to make the GPF before he got injured. It's not that bleak.

I agree, looking at US men right now I see tons of potential and a man who could lead things and motivate others to keep getting better, to have that inside-country rivarly which would get the progress going. I feel like there are individuals, with specific style, sensibility over figure skating, still pushing things technically. One medicore or weaker competition from top US senior men should not cover the bigger picture I think. Hope Adam, Jason and Max will get healthy and stronger and the rest will progress steadily.

Junior men are really interesting and Zhou had a performance of his life. I see that poise, same a in Nathan few years back,just wish everyone would be healthy and developing.

Nathan - what can I say? He is a star in making, if not already. His attack, technical ability combined with calm and coolness is a master fix. As for presentation - everyone has different taste and perception, for me he's getting there, some better programs, a bit more work on his transitions and coverage and to find his style, music and choreos suiting his way of movement and technical arsenal. He is an excitement personified and tbh watching him I'm torn between this excitement and fear of potential injury.

Ross Miner - I am over the moon for him, because his style is one of my favourite among men's field. He embodies that nonchalant elegance and modernity I feel, maybe he's not the most artisic and fs virtuose-like skater, but there is something elevated and sophisticated about him, his movement.

mrrice

Record Breaker
OK, I just had a look at Vincent Zhou. He was a pleasant surprise and his opening Quad Sal was just amazing. To all Choreographers...Please have a listen to Al Jarreau, Jeffery Osborne, or Mel Torme. They all have great voices in the same mood and feel of Sam Smith without being Sam freakin' Smith.. Lastly, I really worry about just how thin he is. He needs 2 salmon steaks instead of one. He needs a 4 egg white omelet instead of 3 in the morning. I don't want him getting fat but, he just looks so fragile and that worries me. I'm looking forward to his LP and if he can repeat what he did the SP, He's a threat for the Podium.

Does anyone have a link to Ross' SP? I can't find it on YouTube.

Last edited:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Did you forget prior to the injury he was attempting the quad in both programs. It's not like he wasn't trying.

Of course they forget. They have the memory of gnats.

Season Best Scores, MEN 2017:
1 301.47 Yuzuru HANYU JPN ISU GP NHK Trophy 2016 26.11.2016
2 292.98 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2016 05.11.2016
3 285.07 Shoma UNO JPN ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2016 05.11.2016
4 282.85 Nathan CHEN USA ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17 10.12.2016
5 279.72 Patrick CHAN CAN ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2016 19.11.2016
6 278.54 Boyang JIN CHN ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2016 19.11.2016
7 269.26 Denis TEN KAZ ISU GP Trophee de France 2016 12.11.2016
8 268.38 Jason BROWN USA ISU GP 2016 Progressive Skate America 23.10.2016
9 267.53 Adam RIPPON USA ISU GP Trophee de France 2016 12.11.2016
10 255.52 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2016 05.11.2

Now, is Jason's score going to be able to get MUCH higher than that? Probably not, not without Quads. But to say that the USFSA should ditch him based on a poor performance because he just got back on the ice because of an injury is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They also seem to forget that Jason and Max were the reason the US had 3 spots for the men in 2015.

Also, whoever was talking about a clean Chen going first or second really needs a reality check. Yes, he has the technical content to go first or second. However, he's going to need help from Fernandez and Hanyu for him to win or get silver. Also, we all seem to be discounting Patrick, who bombed the short in China and STILL scored 279.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
How does it work for choosing the World Team for US. Do they make a decision after Nationals or 4CC's?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Of course they forget. They have the memory of gnats.

Season Best Scores, MEN 2017:
1 301.47 Yuzuru HANYU JPN ISU GP NHK Trophy 2016 26.11.2016
2 292.98 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2016 05.11.2016
3 285.07 Shoma UNO JPN ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2016 05.11.2016
4 282.85 Nathan CHEN USA ISU Grand Prix Final 2016/17 10.12.2016
5 279.72 Patrick CHAN CAN ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2016 19.11.2016
6 278.54 Boyang JIN CHN ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2016 19.11.2016
7 269.26 Denis TEN KAZ ISU GP Trophee de France 2016 12.11.2016
8 268.38 Jason BROWN USA ISU GP 2016 Progressive Skate America 23.10.2016
9 267.53 Adam RIPPON USA ISU GP Trophee de France 2016 12.11.2016
10 255.52 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2016 05.11.2

Now, is Jason's score going to be able to get MUCH higher than that? Probably not, not without Quads. But to say that the USFSA should ditch him based on a poor performance because of injury is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. They also seem to forget that Jason and Max were the reason the US got 3 spots back for the men in 2014.

Actually Jeremy and Max got the spots back in 2014. But Jason and Adam helped keep them in 2015.

Watching the program again, it wasn't that bad. He went for everything and the combo was really nice.

Last edited:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Actually Jeremy and Max got the spots back in 2014. But Jason and Adam helped keep them in 2015.

Watching the program again, it wasn't that bad. He went for everything and the combo was really nice.

Fixed, thank you. No, it wasn't that bad. For the amount of practice he had on the ice before Nationals, it was pretty good.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
If Nathan skates clean in theSP, only Hanyu can beat him. Others don't have enough TES to compensate for PCS. Just math. Not a fantasy.