Senior Ladies Free Skate | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Free Skate

lutzskate

On the Ice
Well that was underwhelming.

For those who don't get tsn, log on to tsn.ca to watch winning performances on broadband.

mike79

On the Ice
Phaneuf did enough to beat Samson. It wasn't just the quality of her jumps, it was the overall program. Phaneuf oozes artistry and skates like a world class skater.

Samson, while she did well, still has a slight awkwardness to her skating, something I'm sure she'll overcome very soon. Remember the part in her program where she tried to improvise? It really looked awkward and disrupted the flow of her skate.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
it's a joke

Cynthia is a complete loser. With a 3toe,two 3sal, she scored 98 points.
It's a complete joke on international stage. What a loser.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Case for Mira Leung

I guess I just have totally different philosphy from a lot of Canadian fans. When I look at a skater, I first seek the competitiveness, not some 'polished image', those things can be altered later on, but competitiveness you just can't teach.

How many skaters in the world can do 2 back-to-back clean programs? Although Mira underrotted sometimes, this kind of talent is huge. People always misunderstand what real talent is.

I'm always a big fan of shen & zhao, look at how crusty, how unpolished, how 'unattractive'(especially shen) ten years, or even 5 years ago. Look at what they have achieved ...

Joannie is not going to medal at world stage, period. You have a lot of youngsters such as Mao, Yu-Na, Kimmie with nerve of steel and 3+3. Then you'll soon have another nerve of steel youngster Caroline Zhang. She's going nowhere.

If Canada is smart, they should definitely be focused on Mira, force her to improve, make great stride.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
my opinions

Cynthia vs. Myriane - I think it was right to place Cynthia ahead because her program was more polished, and had better artistry. Myriane did the technical side of things really well, but her artistry is kind of awkward, as someone else mentioned.

Joannie vs. Mira - She is a good skater artistically, there is no doubt but she is SO inconsistent and is always making technical mistakes and that's starting to make me not like her. I think that Mira will be a better skater in the long run. It's easier, imo, to improve the artistry with a solid technical base, like Mira's, than to try and get an artistic skater to be more consistent and stop making mistakes on the jumps.

I'm disappointed Lesley didn't get on the world team because she's my favourite. I have to admit though, Mira's performance was a little better.

lutzskate

On the Ice
I'm always a big fan of shen & zhao, look at how crusty, how unpolished, how 'unattractive'(especially shen) ten years, or even 5 years ago. Look at what they have achieved ...

I love Shen and Zhao also - I always have. But they weren't rewarded with first place scores when they were "crusty" and "unpolished" either. They had to work their way up and earn it. It was Jamie and David and Elena and Anton who were rewarded for their "polish". Shen and Zhao were frustrated at the time, but in the end it made them better skaters. It made them hungry and forced them to polish their ragged edges.

amateur

Final Flight
If Canada is smart, they should definitely be focused on Mira, force her to improve, make great stride.

So THAT's it! That's why we haven't had a Ladies world medalist in such a long time... Canada hasn't been forcing it's skaters to improve enough!!
Get with it, Canada!! :chorus:

lutzskate

On the Ice
Joannie vs. Mira - She is a good skater artistically, there is no doubt but she is SO inconsistent and is always making technical mistakes and that's starting to make me not like her. I think that Mira will be a better skater in the long run. It's easier, imo, to improve the artistry with a solid technical base, like Mira's, than to try and get an artistic skater to be more consistent and stop making mistakes on the jumps.

Yes, it appears that Joannie has developed Josee Chouinard syndrome (minus the tears).

I'm disappointed Lesley didn't get on the world team because she's my favourite. I have to admit though, Mira's performance was a little better.

I feel the same way.

mike79

On the Ice

It's tough to say right now. We can't forget Tim Goebel. The guy was a jumping machine but could never get the artistry down properly.

Leung has made strides in that department but she's a long way off from Rochette and Phaneuf-like artistry. One thing I find interesting, however, is that I always find myself nervous when Joannie skates. With Leung I get the opposite feeling and I think to myself "Is this girl ever going to fall?" She definitely has nerves of steel.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
It's tough to say right now. We can't forget Tim Goebel. The guy was a jumping machine but could never get the artistry down properly.

Leung has made strides in that department but she's a long way off from Rochette and Phaneuf-like artistry. One thing I find interesting, however, is that I always find myself nervous when Joannie skates. With Leung I get the opposite feeling and I think to myself "Is this girl ever going to fall?" She definitely has nerves of steel.

I think people sometimes are too narrowly focused on what is real talent.
To do two back-to-back clean programs is a real talent, I don't think many can deliver even at international stage.

Yes, she is rusty, but after two disappointing GP events, she's back with her old coach, worked on new short program, and has delivered two back-to-back clean programs, this is real talent.

mike79

On the Ice
I'm really hoping that Leung ditches that terrible LP of hers next season. Two years of it is enough. If she's going to do anything on the international stage she has to step up and come out with a program that has some maturity to it. A step in the right direction is wearing that new dress she wore tonight and not the children's outfit she was wearing last year and earlier this season. It would really help to get Mama Leung to take a background role if all of the rumors are true as well.

peachy

Rinkside
It's easier, imo, to improve the artistry with a solid technical base, like Mira's, than to try and get an artistic skater to be more consistent and stop making mistakes on the jumps. .
I don't completely agree actually, because for Mira, while her technical base is consistent, it is not very pretty, and prevents her from getting good GOEs on her jumps. This could be very difficult to fix because adjusting jump technique often effects consistency, but to be a world contender, Mira is going to need nicer jumps.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I don't completely agree actually, because for Mira, while her technical base is consistent, it is not very pretty, and prevents her from getting good GOEs on her jumps. This could be very difficult to fix because adjusting jump technique often effects consistency, but to be a world contender, Mira is going to need nicer jumps.

Not necessarily. Her heads-up is gone. I was previously wondering whether that's her secret recipe for landing jumps, but thanks God, it's not.
Now she has to fix those bizarre jump entrances, which do not necessarily help her jumps anyway. She has to improve her speed a little bit in and out of jumps, which can definitely be done. If she has a leg wrap like Nakako, that's definitely not going to be fixed at this stage, but she does not have those fatal things.

She has a true lutz, and her landing knee is so soft, that's why she can just land triples and triples. That's talent.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I'm really hoping that Leung ditches that terrible LP of hers next season. Two years of it is enough. If she's going to do anything on the international stage she has to step up and come out with a program that has some maturity to it. A step in the right direction is wearing that new dress she wore tonight and not the children's outfit she was wearing last year and earlier this season. It would really help to get Mama Leung to take a background role if all of the rumors are true as well.

Skaters usually use LP and SP for two seasons. She'll definitely ditch this LP next season as she did to her SP. Remember, this LP was considered a step in the right direction last season at Canadian Nationals, it's not really as bad as you suggest. But for her to score above 100 points at international stage, she has to find another program, that's for sure.

I think she'll be a steady mover at international stage as opposed to some sort of 'bursting onto the scene' phenom. But she'll probably outlast a lot of skaters. You seldom hear she gets injuried.

lutzskate

On the Ice
Not necessarily. Her heads-up is gone. I was previously wondering whether that's her secret recipe for landing jumps, but thanks God, it's not.
Now she has to fix those bizarre jump entrances, which do not necessarily help her jumps anyway. She has to improve her speed a little bit in and out of jumps, which can definitely be done. If she has a leg wrap like Nakako, that's definitely not going to be fixed at this stage, but she does not have those fatal things.

She has a true lutz, and her landing knee is so soft, that's why she can just land triples and triples. That's talent.

I call her "bobber" because she "bobs" up and down as she skates, particularly when she goes into a jump or a spin. It annoys me.

I like the bangs back though! And much better make-up!

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I call her "bobber" because she "bobs" up and down as she skates, particularly when she goes into a jump or a spin. It annoys me.

I like the bangs back though! And much better make-up!

It's interesting that so many Canadian fans have this vicious hatred towards her. It's not just her skating. She's sort of rebellious type, not a balleria and does not go into the 'norm' set by the figure skating world. When people's comfort zone is challenged, they usually have this vicious reaction.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am hoping that Joannie is not going the way of Jennifer Robinson. Because there was such a dry spell in the ladies discipline here in Canada for so long Jen pretty much was guaranteed the Canadian Ladies champion title by just showing up. Although, I do think Jen finally made it as a world class skater when she turned pro.

Last season Joannie really showed us she has the stuff to compete with the best. It is disappointing when a skater makes such great strides and then starts to come unglued. This season Joannie has some tough competition right here in Canada. Mira Leung is her strongest challenger. This kid has the "killer instinct" when it comes to competing. I think Mira really put the pressure on Joannie and it affected her performance. Leslie Hawker has also really improved since working with Richard Calahan. This was a good practice run for Joannie on her own turf to prepare for the kind of pressure she will face at the Worlds. I hope Joannie will learn from this experience and will be able to focus better. As far as I am concerned this Canadian title win this year for Joannie was a gift.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It's interesting that so many Canadian fans have this vicious hatred towards her. It's not just her skating. She's sort of rebellious type, not a balleria and does not go into the 'norm' set by the figure skating world. When people's comfort zone is challenged, they usually have this vicious reaction.

Dude, are you Mira's mom, or something?

We're not bashing her the way you bash Cynthia. We don't call Mira a loser. We talk about the things she could do to IMPROVE her skating--we don't say she's over the hill, the way you talk about Cynthia, Lesleigh, and Joannie!

On another note--I don't like Mira's straight leg camel position. Before she goes into the catchfoot camel (which, while it is impressive, I now know why skaters do--it masks not being good at the classic straight-legged camel), she does this horrid inside edge straight-legged camel, where her leg isn't turned out, and her free foot is pointed DOWN.

If you are Mama Leung, please stop yelling at us for pointing out the things she should do to improve, and instead get her to improve that goshdarned camel, and get her to stop pumping her back up and down as she skates.

mike79

On the Ice
Cynthia is a complete loser. With a 3toe,two 3sal, she scored 98 points.
It's a complete joke on international stage. What a loser.

I think that the only things said in this thread that are remotely vicious are in this quote of yours.

What is this need of yours to denigrate others to make Leung look better? Phaneuf is far from a loser. She's trying to make a comeback from a severe injury that potentially threatened her career. I'd say 98 points is EXCELLENT for landing only three triples. It shows that her other areas of skating are back in top form. Her coming back to competition and making her goal of top 5 is the best story this week.

I personally hope we get to see her compete at the level that she was skating at a couple of years ago. You remember don't you...that level of quality Leung has yet to achieve. That's not a bash on Leung, it's just a fact.