Senior Ladies Free Skate | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Free Skate

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
Last season Joannie really showed us she has the stuff to compete with the best. It is disappointing when a skater makes such great strides and then starts to come unglued. This season Joannie has some tough competition right here in Canada. Mira Leung is her strongest challenger. This kid has the "killer instinct" when it comes to competing. I think Mira really put the pressure on Joannie and it affected her performance. Leslie Hawker has also really improved since working with Richard Calahan. This was a good practice run for Joannie on her own turf to prepare for the kind of pressure she will face at the Worlds. I hope Joannie will learn from this experience and will be able to focus better. As far as I am concerned this Canadian title win this year for Joannie was a gift.

I agree Hawker's performance surprised me, she's really improving. Joannie is going no where, she's not mentally strong anyway. I don't see any improvement since her first win at nationals. Competitiveness is not sth you can teach her at age of 21yo as a skater. I have no resentment towards her, I just don't expect much from her. Sandhu type.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
If you are Mama Leung, please stop yelling at us for pointing out the things she should do to improve, and instead get her to improve that goshdarned camel, and get her to stop pumping her back up and down as she skates.

She, of course, has to improve. But to trash her like some Canadian fans usually do and ignore her rare talent to deliver when it counts is just amusing.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I.

What is this need of yours to denigrate others to make Leung look better? Phaneuf is far from a loser. She's trying to make a comeback from a severe injury that potentially threatened her career. I'd say 98 points is EXCELLENT for landing only three triples. It shows that her other areas of skating are back in top form. Her coming back to competition and making her goal of top 5 is the best story this week.

I.

Among these three skaters, Mira, Joannie and Cynthia, I'm positive towards Mira, neutral toward Joannie and very negative towards Cynthia.
She landed like one or two triple jumps at 2005 Nationals but was still dispatched to the worlds. The end result, she ended up in 20th place. Joannie and Cynthia together almost lost one spot for Canadian women that year. That's before her injury and she was supposed to have all triples.

Her skating does nothing to me, spirals are horrilble with those inconsistent jumps. I don't even find her to be particularly 'attractive' as a lot of her fans insist.

Her score of 98 points is really a joke. At Q round, she managed to land all jumps albeit shaky and scored 92 points. Tonight, she fell on that lutz, managed to land 2 triple sal and 1 triple toe, she somehow improved her score. If Canadians insist on sending this type of shallow 'princess' to the world stage, they're destined to have a lot of disappointment.

Perhaps it's the 'loser mentality'? :chorus:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Joannie will learn from this experience and will be able to focus better. As far as I am concerned this Canadian title win this year for Joannie was a gift.

I did not see her FS, but when I looked at the protocol and saw the doubled loop, the singled axel and the doubled lutz, I was shocked at the score she received. 113 and change for a program with 3 major mistakes?

If she has a skate like that at Worlds in Tokyo, she will score in the low 100s.

Yes, I have to agree the win was a gift.

rain

Record Breaker
Overall I found this competition to be a bit disappointing. Nice to see that Hawker is still improving, even at this late stage in her career. Rochette is still the class of the field as far as complete package goes. Leung lands her jumps, yes, but her technique is so ugly that I can't imagine she gets much in the way of GOE. She also still have a lot of artistic ground to address if she wants to go anywhere internationally. One of the things I find most distracting is the strained chin-up neck she has throughout all of her performances. What it does is make her look like a little kid. She's never going to be a balletic skater, and that's fine, but she does have to try to develop some kind of artistic ground. She did look better here than she has looked all season. Obviously going back to her old coach was a step in the right direction.

Duhamel does nothing for me. I want to like her, but I just can't really enjoy her performances. Watching her jump is nerve-wracking. She almost always seems to look like she has too much power on her jumps and can hardly hold onto the landings. Artistically, she, also is wanting at this stage.

The brightest light I saw was Samson, who has the makings of a really nice total package skater. Solid jumps, good basics. Next year she needs a well-choreographed program to take that next step.

Rochette will really benefit from going to Four Continents before worlds. Strangely, she almost looked like she hadn't competed enough and it was making her jumpy, pardon the pun. She was landing gorgeous triple-triples in warm-up and the jumps that she did were beautiful and solid. Not sure why she backed off some of them.

Comparing her to Sandhu? So totally off the map inaccurate. Talk about biases.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I did not see her FS, but when I looked at the protocol and saw the doubled loop, the singled axel and the doubled lutz, I was shocked at the score she received. 113 and change for a program with 3 major mistakes?

If she has a skate like that at Worlds in Tokyo, she will score in the low 100s.

Yes, I have to agree the win was a gift.

I watched her program, similar to what she did at TEB. Haven't compared protocols yet, but I believe she scored 90s at that event.

mike79

On the Ice
We should always remember though, that skaters marks tend to be increased at a National championship. I have no doubt in my mind that ALL of the top skaters would have been marked lower at an international.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched her program, similar to what she did at TEB. Haven't compared protocols yet, but I believe she scored 90s at that event.

The TEB skate was much worse--she landed only 3 triples. She fell on the 3F, and popped the lutz, loop and second flip attempt.

ice_king

Spectator
You can see that Joannie has the goods.... What I don't understand is why can't she return to where she was during the 2004-2005 season before worlds... She posted podium finishes on the Grand Prix circuit and even made the podium at th GPF. At Canadians she was head and shoulders above the rest and was squeaky clean, even throwing a triple triple combo (triple toe triple toe)...

During that season she had left Manon Perron to work with Josée Normand and Sébastien Britten...

nynyfee

Rinkside
I think that the only things said in this thread that are remotely vicious are in this quote of yours.

What is this need of yours to denigrate others to make Leung look better? Phaneuf is far from a loser. She's trying to make a comeback from a severe injury that potentially threatened her career. I'd say 98 points is EXCELLENT for landing only three triples. It shows that her other areas of skating are back in top form. Her coming back to competition and making her goal of top 5 is the best story this week.

I personally hope we get to see her compete at the level that she was skating at a couple of years ago. You remember don't you...that level of quality Leung has yet to achieve. That's not a bash on Leung, it's just a fact.

but the score at international event would never been around 98. That a 80 points performance! Skate canada by doing that, they're keping some lady on the side and that is not ok. Megan loose her training money just because she's so cute and beautiful. I have nothing against Phaneuf (I have seen her skate since juvenille) but gaving her 98 points because her name if Phaneuf I don't think that's correct!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I've personally always thought that Joannie has been undermarked on the second mark internationaly just because she dosn't have the accepted look and style. IMO her PC marks at Canadians are what she should be getting internationaly.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I've personally always thought that Joannie has been undermarked on the second mark internationaly just because she dosn't have the accepted look and style. IMO her PC marks at Canadians are what she should be getting internationaly.

What do you mean she does not have 'accepted look and style'??? I found this comment was quite silly. She is absolutely an appealing young lady and much better looking than that exotic-looking Cynthia in my eyes.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
but the score at international event would never been around 98. That a 80 points performance! Skate canada by doing that, they're keping some lady on the side and that is not ok. Megan loose her training money just because she's so cute and beautiful. I have nothing against Phaneuf (I have seen her skate since juvenille) but gaving her 98 points because her name if Phaneuf I don't think that's correct!

Exactly. I have so much resentment towards Phaneuf precisely because of this. She's been cut a slack over and over without delivering any goods.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, haven't seen any skates but I have to wonder why all the hate on Phaneuf. Isn't she just coming back now? What is there about her to hate?
shrug.gif

If Leung is the Diva that some Canadian fans are saying she is then I can understand hate towards her. But was Joannie THAT much better than her to win even with many mistakes? I guess I don't quite understand.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I think Cynthia is stunning.

On a light note, Cynthia is really not my cup of tea. Different stroke for different person, I guess. I found her facial feature is a bit exotic, and she's always pretentious which is a huge turn-off to me. She also has to tightly control her diet, otherwise she would be as muscular as in these old photos, which are hardly flattering:

http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/coi06/dsc_1050.jpg
http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/coi06/dsc_1041.jpg
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1163

Joannie to me, is a much more appealing young lady. I just don't understand why somebody would say her looks may have anything to do with her PCS internationally.

rain

Record Breaker
But was Joannie THAT much better than her to win even with many mistakes? I guess I don't quite understand.

In a word, yes. It wasn't Rochette's best skate, but she didn't totally tank either and there were no falls. She doubled a couple of planned triples and singled an axel. She did, however, perform a number of triples beautifully, including a triple lutz-double toe-double loop combo. Her program is intricate and polished.

In comparison, Leung jumped very well, but has not addressed the artistic side of her skating satisfactorily, and a number of things are still very juniorish-looking, or just plain ugly. Leung is just not yet in the same league as Rochette in terms of total package.

lutzskate

On the Ice
She also has to tightly control her diet, otherwise she would be as muscular as in these old photos, which are hardly flattering:

http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/coi06/dsc_1050.jpg
http://www.kurtfiles.com/images/coi06/dsc_1041.jpg
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1163.

I don't see anything wrong with the way she looks in those photos. Being muscular, doesn't make you unattractive. Look at Irina - she was very muscular. And Joannie's upper body is also ripped. Cynthia looks great.