Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Was Emily Hughes robbed of the Gold at US Nationals?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Does anyone know that the reason Kimmie chose the Flamenco FS was that one of her grandparents originally came from Spain? I think she does have an emotional attachment to her music but showing it doesn't come naturally to her.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
BTW- Thanks for the shout out Kwanford wife! Though you are in danger of shedding your "non-fan" status this season. :D

Hey, at least Emily is not boring and with this field, that's a HUGE plus... I'm sorry, but at this point I'd love anybody to show anything on the ice... these girls are just sooo boring.... Nationals was just soooo boring...

Heck, I even miss sassy little Sasha... and coming from me, that's saying a lot...

There were no rivalries in the Ladies Free Skate, and only Bebe's SP put some zip into the competition,.

However, the Men's Division not only had rivalry but serious skating for bronze. Derek Delmore at 28 years was wonderful. Overett gave it his best. Some of the younger boys tried their best but were faulty. Just Abbot rose to the occasion.

If Ladies is your only interest in figure skating, stay tuned to the TV and after Ladies, switch to ET for more dirt on ladies of silver screen.

We could add a real upset in Pairs and from out of nowhere. Evora and Ladwig would have been bronzed if it were not for C&O

And don't forget to see Davis and White is a thrill for US Dance.

Sorry - Not boring for me.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
There were no rivalries in the Ladies Free Skate, and only Bebe's SP put some zip into the competition,.

However, the Men's Division not only had rivalry but serious skating for bronze. Derek Delmore at 28 years was wonderful. Overett gave it his best. Some of the younger boys tried their best but were faulty. Just Abbot rose to the occasion.

If Ladies is your only interest in figure skating, stay tuned to the TV and after Ladies, switch to ET for more dirt on ladies of silver screen.

We could add a real upset in Pairs and from out of nowhere. Evora and Ladwig would have been bronzed if it were not for C&O

And don't forget to see Davis and White is a thrill for US Dance.

Sorry - Not boring for me.

Joe

Now, that just isn't called for... the E! Network?!? C'mon Joe, play nice...

For me, Nationals was boring. No body showed up with their A game, except for Evan (who I might add Slutskaya Fan 21 has ruined for me...) and that was to Carmen... again...

No one showed that they are a contender for Worlds. No one set the building on fire. No one even had an interesting storyline. It was all nice, pleasant skating to nice pleasant music.

There used to be a time when I hated to miss one second of Nationals... from sitting in front of the television to politicing in the office to get the Nationals assignments - it was awesome!!! This year, not so much... Sorry. No real shake ups, no drama and boring skating. Three out of the four favorites won. Two who won with top 5, not podium worthy, Worlds performances. One that was a fluke. One that may capture a Worlds medal - maybe. But it'll be to Carmen... again.

Davis & White were fine. Nice, pleasant ice dancers. But world beaters? I don't think so. I'm still not sure how they placed ahead of G&P in any phase...

I wasn't surprised that I&B were beaten, seeing how he was mugged a few weeks ago and looked out of shape - I just didn't know WHO would beat them. Plus, its not like a pairs team from the US is going to truly challenge at Worlds, so what difference does it make?

Johnny had a decent outing, until the fall... granted, I was just glad he changed costumes. But not Worlds podium worthy...

But Emily was awesome... even if it was to Carmen...

Oh well... maybe next year, right?

sk8addict

On the Ice
Kimmie does not skate like Nancy. Nancy was so stiff and remote. Kimmie is a fiery competitor and looks like she is having fun out there.

Kimmie flails her arms like Nancy doing a cheerleader program and neither of them have decent spirals or spins. In her own words as Kimmie goes through her program she checks each move off the list in her head as she does them. You could play any music and it wouldn't matter.

R.D.

Record Breaker
In her own words as Kimmie goes through her program she checks each move off the list in her head as she does them. You could play any music and it wouldn't matter.

'Tis the key. You can even take the music away and it wouldn't make much of a difference.

But I want to see how that Spanish program develops. I see quite a bit of potential in it.

or complain!

To be quite honest isn't that what armchair skatefans do all the time? I mean, take a look at the title of this very thread!!!

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
For this event, Kimmie did quite well in the SP with enough points to carry her so-so LP for the win.

But this where I have a big qualm. Kimmie didn't do that great in the short program. Her 3/3 was not a 3/3 at all, none of her other elements were great, and the performance was SO vanilla.

She should have been behind Emily and Bebe for the short program.

~Z

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, Kimmie shouldn't have been behind Emily, who was slow as molasses in the SP, with none of her usual pizzazz.

R.D.

Record Breaker
But this where I have a big qualm. Kimmie didn't do that great in the short program. Her 3/3 was not a 3/3 at all, none of her other elements were great, and the performance was SO vanilla.

She should have been behind Emily and Bebe for the short program.

~Z

I agree with part one but not part two. The top three skaters after the short, if scored consistently, would have been within a point of each other.

Now, that just isn't called for... the E! Network?!? C'mon Joe, play nice...

For me, Nationals was boring. No body showed up with their A game, except for Evan (who I might add Slutskaya Fan 21 has ruined for me...) and that was to Carmen... again...

No one showed that they are a contender for Worlds. No one set the building on fire. No one even had an interesting storyline. It was all nice, pleasant skating to nice pleasant music.

There used to be a time when I hated to miss one second of Nationals... from sitting in front of the television to politicing in the office to get the Nationals assignments - it was awesome!!! This year, not so much... Sorry. No real shake ups, no drama and boring skating. Three out of the four favorites won. Two who won with top 5, not podium worthy, Worlds performances. One that was a fluke. One that may capture a Worlds medal - maybe. But it'll be to Carmen... again.

Davis & White were fine. Nice, pleasant ice dancers. But world beaters? I don't think so. I'm still not sure how they placed ahead of G&P in any phase...

I wasn't surprised that I&B were beaten, seeing how he was mugged a few weeks ago and looked out of shape - I just didn't know WHO would beat them. Plus, its not like a pairs team from the US is going to truly challenge at Worlds, so what difference does it make?

Johnny had a decent outing, until the fall... granted, I was just glad he changed costumes. But not Worlds podium worthy...

But Emily was awesome... even if it was to Carmen...

Oh well... maybe next year, right?
We differ KW. I don't have a fan anymore and can look more positively at all skaters. I also look at many newcomers for talent. You appear to have a favorite skater. Fine. But your interest in others seems to me to be limited to the top draw, and only their possibility for international gold.

As I said, there were many moments in Spokane that celebrated good skating. Too bad you don't see that. But I understand your criteria for excitement.

Joe

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
We differ KW. I don't have a fan anymore and can look more positively at all skaters. I also look at many newcomers for talent. You appear to have a favorite skater. Fine. But your interest in others seems to me to be limited to the top draw, and only their possibility for international gold.

As I said, there were many moments in Spokane that celebrated good skating. Too bad you don't see that. But I understand your criteria for excitement.

Joe

My opinion has nothing to do with being a fan of one skater nor do I have a bad attitude... But I do admit to looking at skating in terms of the international scene. Maybe I needed to be in Spokane - but I wasn't and can only judge based on television coverage.

Having said all of that, I'm not sure why the implied dismissal of my take on Nationals is necessary, but that's cool too... Next time I will remember to hold a more "positive attitude."

But sometimes Nationals just aren't as exciting as others... ala 1998 Nationals... my favoritest skater in the whole world was there & it was boring as well...

My opinion has nothing to do with being a fan of one skater nor do I have a bad attitude... But I do admit to looking at skating in terms of the international scene. Maybe I needed to be in Spokane - but I wasn't and can only judge based on television coverage.

Having said all of that, I'm not sure why the implied dismissal of my take on Nationals is necessary, but that's cool too... Next time I will remember to hold a more "positive attitude."

But sometimes Nationals just aren't as exciting as others... ala 1998 Nationals... my favoritest skater in the whole world was there & it was boring as well...
Nothing wrong with your opinions, we all have them. But I can not help but assume that your interest in figure skating is ONLY for the top contenders worldwide. and that's perfectly all right too. That is where we differ. I go into figure skating as a sport at all levels and skaters. When I see improvements I am happy for the skater. I found a lot of this year's Nats to think they were exciting - not necessarily what the top skaters did. There were all those former Jr. Boys trying to make a statement, there was Zhang and Nagasu fighting it out with Wagner looking on and determined, there was Castile and Olkowski winning the Pairs. there was B&A with their new program and D&W making a statement You didn't see these as exciting and that's what I am saying. Maybe you have a different definition of what excites you. However, there is nothing wrong with disagreeing.

Joe